It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

goldenboys HB User
Atenolol Question

Hi everyone. I'm weaning myself off Atenolol slowly but still am having very low pulse rate...never gets above 45 and did a run for 30 minutes yesterday at 4.0 speed and pulse never got above 75. I feel so good when its that high and then boom back down it goes and I always feel faint and dizzy. I'm down to 12.5 mgs and wondering if anyone out there has a low rate on this junk. I'm also having some chest pains and wondering if the low pulse rate can cause that. My BP is 121/70. Thanks....

Old 06-02-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Atenolol Question

goldenboys,

What kind of dosage are you taking? If you can run 2 miles in 30 minutes without a heart attack, the chest pain is PROBABLY unrelated to your heart. Unfortunately with a heart rate that peaks at 75, you might as well crochet for 1/2 hour for all the aerobic benefit you're getting.
If the pattern is that the pain/discomfort comes on at the highest heart-rate and abates quickly as it slows...then there's an angina scenario.
Are there any other times the chest pain occurs? Can you desribe it? Is it worse with the atenolol or better (angina pain will FAR more likely without rather than WITH the beta-blocker.)
A good test might be to pump the treadmill up to 5.0 mph and see what the discomfort picture is; try it and post results. Take 2 aspirin a day for the time being...the BIG ones. With any chest pain, better safe than sorry, and if it's a ligament pull in the ribcage, the aspirin will help THAT too.

No, a low heart-rate won't cause you pain...well not in the HEART anyway. Your LEGS might get starved for nutrients during extreme training and cramp easily but then 4 mph isn't extreme.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-02-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

goldenboys HB User

Thanks Lenin....I went from 25mg to 1/2 that and now its hard to say what dosage I'm on as they are 50mgs and I'm taking like a real little piece after I get it all cut down. I'm going to go every other day and then stop completely. I should backtrack and say that I feel discomfort not pain & its not while I'm active but may come on for 1 to 5 minutes anytime during relaxation. Also Lenin this discomfort didn't start till I was put on Atentolol which I'm confused about because I know this junk is to stop angina. Its always right in the middle of my left boob area I manually mow (not ride) 1-1/2 acres and yesterday when I was done feeling like I just ran a marathon I took my BP which was 128/78 and pulse 65 and no discomfort till this morning which lasted about 3 min at a BP 114/63 pulse 43. I'll start taking aspirin today.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I sounds most like a ligament pull in your ribcage to me.
Next step is to get a REAL manual mower...the kind WITHOUT a motor! That'll have you huffin.'
I really think that beta-blockers are the wrong choice for you with that LOW heartrate even on exertion after only 12.5 mg. atenolol.

Closed Thread