It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

Michibay HB User
Meds?

Hello...I am a 62 year old male who tries to stay away from doctors. About two months ago I started to experience headache...went to see a doc and found out my blood pressure was 190/120...he put me on Lisinopril 20mg...and within days I was 120/70. I had side effects I did not like...and took myself off. I was then put on Atenolol 50mg...and did not like that either.

I am now experimenting...Lisinopril 10mg and Atenolol 25mg...seems to be OK...my blood pressure is averaging about 130/70 with a HB of about 52. This seems to work for me...I am 5ft 7" and weigh about 190...so I need to loose 20 lbs and exersize more...I have had success with a fat-free diet so far, My goal is get off the meds ...any thoughts or comments??? This is my first time on the message board.
Many Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: Meds?

First of all, tell our dr of the problems you have with each med. And it isn't wise to just experiment with meds and combine them without your drs OK. This can be dangerous. There are many, many HBP meds out there, and if one doesn't work well, or you experience BAD side effects, there are other choices.
A lot of side effects are temporary, and as your body adjusts, they lessen.
Please check with your dr. about it. Give him a call.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Lose weight. Get a stable regimen of medicine going; work with your doctor but read up on your own on the various options. You should be able to figure out a largely sid-effect free option. Be resigned to the fact that you bp was probably creeping up for years, and you'll have to be on medicine for a while, maybe for the rest of your life. But with luck and big-time lifestyle changes, you may be able to experiment with phasing off medicine sometime down the road.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michibay
... my blood pressure is averaging about 130/70 with a HB of about 52. This seems to work for me...I am 5ft 7" and weigh about 190...so I need to loose 20 lbs and exersize more...
Do you know your average blood pressure at 9pm or 10pm?

Closed Thread