It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
(male)

starbuck1105 HB User
HBP and Muscle Twitching?

I've been experiencing muscle twitching all over my body for the last four weeks. It started in my left arm and now occurs all over, including my neck, face, back, legs, etc... On top of that, I've had kind of a jittery feeling (like I've had way too much caffeine) for the last few days. And my throat has felt a bit constricted as well.

Went in to see my doctor this morning. When he took my BP, he said that he was alarmed, as it was 210/120. He has instructed me to increase the dosage of the medications I'm currently on, and prescribed a third. I'm to go back and see him in 48 hours so he can monitor the situation.

While I would never claim to know better than my doctor, I'm skeptical about his diagnosis. I mean, clearly the HBP is an issue and I'm glad we're addressing it, but I'm not sure I see the correlation to the muscle twitching. I've done quite a bit of "Googling" and have not come across much information to suggest that there is a tie between the two.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this type of experience, and if so, if it was the result of HBP. I had hoped to emerge from my doctor's office with some sense of peace and resolution about what's been going on, but I don't really feel any better than when I went in. I guess that part of it is that he was really distracted while I was there and I'm not sure how much he "heard" what I had to say about my symptoms. Again, I'm not upset with him (God knows we've all been there), but I want to do what I can to help him help me.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: HBP and Muscle Twitching?

I've never heard of muscle spasms being associated with high blood pressure. Some medications might cause them though. What are you taking?

Muscle spasms might also indicate some electrolyte imbalance. Did the doctor order any blood work done?

Old 06-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
(male)

starbuck1105 HB User

I'm taking Clonidine and Labetelol. Been on both for years without any problems.

He did order some bloodwork, but didn't say what he'll be looking for. Said he'll only call if he finds something.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Labetalol is a beta blocker. The only thing I can find is that Labetalol and tricyclic antidepressants increase chances of tremor, but what you describe doesn't sound like tremor. Beta blockers can mask the signs of developing diabetes, so that might be something your doctor is looking for in a blood test. Such a test should be done regularly with people on beta blockers.

Clonidine doesn't have muscle spasms listed as a possible side effect either.

Have you made any changes in your workout routine or diet that might account for it?

Closed Thread