It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

nenna71 HB User
Yet another Atenolol question!

I have been taking 50mg of Atenolol once a day for over a year. In the course of the year of taking this med I have lost half of my hair. I went from having to get my hair thinned out at the stylist to actually seeing scalp on the top of my head in a matter of months. Dr sent me to a Dermatologist, even after I questioned the fact that listed right on the Atenolol insert that reversible alopecia is a side effect. Derma tells me that is the the Atenolol causing my hair to fall out, talk to my Dr about changing BP meds. Fine and dandy. Works for me. But what I find odd is that my Dr isn't telling me to wean myself off of the Atenolol. He gave me Micardis 40mg and told me to take that this evening at the time I would take the Atenolol??? Is that normal? I take the Atenolol for blood pressure issues only. Thank you in advance and I just wanted to say that I love this board and am glad that so many people are educated in this area of topic.

Brenda

Old 06-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Yet another Atenolol question!

Hi Benda,
I would at least talk to a pharmacist before just stopping the atenolol. In the past I have had doctors tell me to just stop too. I wouldn't ever do that though because I always read everything I can find about a med before I start taking it. Unfortunately I didn't learn this lesson untill I was already hooked on atenolol.

Stopping a beta blocker "cold turkey" can cause tachycardia and a dangerous rise in BP along with serious anxiety. Probably other things too. I would imagine these problems are more or less in relation to how high your unmedicated BP was and what kind of control you got with atenolol. Most of us who take a beta blocker also take other BP meds too. In that case you can wean on the beta while starting a new med but if the atenolol has your BP under control (say 120/80) or lower and you took the new one while weaning you could go too low. That's why I would consult somebody (pharmacist or doctor) as to how to do this effectively.

Good Luck!
Cass

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread