HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   Fish Oil (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/292337-fish-oil.html)

CASSIEBEL 06-07-2005 05:57 PM

Fish Oil

Anyone here taking fish oil supplements? I've never had much faith in supplements but I keep reading how they lower BP.
Cass

Uff-Da! 06-07-2005 06:15 PM

Re: Fish Oil

I'm taking fish oil supplements. I was able to first lower my BP meds, then get off the meds altogether after I started taking them, but I've assumed it was due to other factors, stress reduction primarily and increase in consumption of vegetables and possibly reduced bad carbs. With so many things which all can have a small or large impact on BP, it is hard to tell what the influences really were.

CASSIEBEL 06-07-2005 06:51 PM

Uff-Da
What dose do you take? Did your BP go down right away? I have gotten my BP down to an ave of 116/68 but I would like to get off some of my meds or at least lower the doses. I don't want it to go to much lower.

Another question, I also hear that they cause burping and was wondering about a fishy aftertaste. I don't eat any fish or seafood. Can't stand the taste.
Thanks,
Cass

pal7778 06-07-2005 07:42 PM

I took them for a couple of months--pretty sizeable doses. Didn't notice any difference. I didn't have any aftertaste or anything like that. For the record,
I've continued to take Co-enzyme Q10, which I think does have a modest effect...

CASSIEBEL 06-07-2005 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=pal7778] For the record,I've continued to take Co-enzyme Q10, which I think does have a modest effect...[/QUOTE]
I don't believe I'v heard of it. What exactly is it?
Cass

Uff-Da! 06-07-2005 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=CASSIEBEL]Uff-Da
What dose do you take? Did your BP go down right away? I have gotten my BP down to an ave of 116/68 but I would like to get off some of my meds or at least lower the doses. I don't want it to go to much lower.

Another question, I also hear that they cause burping and was wondering about a fishy aftertaste. I don't eat any fish or seafood. Can't stand the taste.
Thanks,
Cass[/QUOTE]

I'm taking three grams of fish oil per day, as per my doctor's recommendation. Currently I'm taking Carlson's Norwegian salmon oil for a total of 540 mg EPA and 375 DHA daily, though I have used other brands. My doctor had recommended the fish oil as a first choice, but to take 3 grams daily of flax oil caps as a second-best if I was bothered by fishy burps from the fish oil. I had tried fish oil some years ago and had problems with fishy burps then, so I started out on the flax oil a couple of years ago when she told me this, but later decided to try the fish oil again. I don't seem to be bothered by the fishy burps now for some reason. However, I don't recall when I switched from flax oil to fish oil.

I really can't say if taking the fish oil has had anything to do with my blood pressure or not. My doctor recommended it to me when I decided I'd rather try lifestyle changes rather than a statin for my cholesterol, so I didn't pay that much attention to timing with regard to my BP. And I had so many other influences on my BP that I think were more important factors.

Have you tried breathing exercises or meditation to lower BP? Or a high potassium diet, if your BP meds permit?

Lenin 06-08-2005 06:26 AM

Cassie, most people take fish oils for the Omega-3 oils they contain. I take 5 grams a day of cod-liver oil which gives me about a gram totoal DHA + EPA (the animal n-3 oils.)
These oils have been shown to have a beneficial effect on the blood lipid panel but I doubt that they have shown any help in lowering blood pressure. Personally, I haven't seen any contribution in my BP control and I've been taking cod-liver oil for a couple years.

pal7778 06-08-2005 06:29 AM

To Cass etc.: It's an enzyme indispensable for heart function that's often found to be low in people with hbp. You can find a bunch of websites etc. that say that it markedly reduces bp in something like 40% of the people who take it, and other good
evidence that it fends off heart failure and improves heart function for anyone who's
heart has been even slightly damaged in any way. (I have no evidence of damage, but
it stands to reason hbp had some kind of bad effect on me...) But to repeat: I can't say I'm certain it contributes to the lowering of my bp, certainly not the 15-20 pts systolic that some of the websites talk about. It's a little expensive, but WalMart etc.
often have 2 for 1 deals on it.

ms_hypertensive 06-11-2005 09:25 PM

I take fish oil, flax oil, borage oil, Co-Q 10, drink hawthorn tea, Vitamins C and E, soy protein powder (try to watch sodium content), garlic.

Lenin 06-12-2005 04:48 AM

I took 100 mg./day for a year and dropped to 50 mg. when they hiked the prices. I take it faithfully to counteract any possible deleterious effects my daily Lipitor might have. I haven't seen much, if any, effect on my BP with CoQ10 though. Of course, a couple points difference easily disppears in the cacophony of normal variations so it's hard to know for sure.

pal7778 06-12-2005 05:28 AM

I'm just wondering--does anyone have any evidence that CoQ10 reduced bp?

mgraylorn 06-14-2005 12:19 PM

I take one fish oil gel caplet once a day with dinner. I think the bottle says take at least 3 times that amount, so I may not be doing anything. I take mine with dinner which is my biggest meal of the day. If I don't take it with enough food, I get a distinct fish taste when I burp.

I haven't heard it does anything for bp, I'm taking it as a hedge against cholesterol, which is why most people take it.

BlueBelle2 06-19-2005 10:42 AM

We've just started taking Omega 3. I was worried about the fish burps too, and fishy smell, if I eat before taking it no burps and no smell-I couldn't handle that.

I do have HBP, but I'm mainly taking it to help the arthritis in my knees, I give it to my son who has some ADHD symptoms and it is also supposed to be a mood elevator.

I was pretty amazed at the things it says it helps. Time will tell...at least 6 weeks. I've heard one should take vitamin E with it as it helps with the free radicals and keeps the fish oil from going rancid in your system.

mgraylorn 06-20-2005 10:56 AM

There is some recent research on fish oil that seems to be not so good for some people. I got this from the LA Times, but you can web search on recent headlines to find similar stories.

"A study in the June 15 issue of Journal of the American Medical Assn. found that for certain high-risk cardiac patients, fish oil supplements may do more harm than good.

People with a history of arrhythmias, or abnormal heart rhythms, and implanted cardiac defibrillators who took daily fish oil supplements were more likely to experience episodes of those rhythms than similar patients receiving only a placebo, the researchers found."

One might also want to go easy on vitamin E based on some Johns Hopkins Medicine research that found

"The study results showed that people taking vitamin E supplements of 400 IU or more per day had an increased risk of death."

There were some qualifiers however

"It was unclear whether low amounts (200 IU per day or less) of vitamin E supplements increased a person's risk of death.

Because most of the patients in all of the trials were over 60, and a majority had pre-existing conditions, such as heart disease, the study's application to younger, healthy adults may be limited, the Johns Hopkins researchers point out."

I've been supplementing vitamin E for years under the idea that it might help my dry skin (don't know if it does or not). The last couple years I'd gone up to 400 IU, but after I heard about this article, I dropped back to 200 IU. I've only recently been supplementing fish oil, but I take about 1/3 of what the bottle recommends. I tend to go easy on supplements until there is definative research.

BlueBelle2 06-20-2005 11:29 AM

I've only been taking one per day too.

The info above makes you think...

I feel like danged if you do, danged if you don't.