It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
Went to doc - Added another med - Metoprolol XL - Anyone on this?

Hi all,

Darn Doc added another med to my 20mg of Lisinopril and .1 of Chlonidine. She added Metoprolol XL 50 mg. I was stressed going into the docs and I explained to her that my morning consisted of firing an employee along with hiring one that I didn't agree with (or who was forced on me!) Anyway - my BP was 165/94. She added that. Have you used metoprolol???

Let me know the side effects and if it benefited you.

Thanks
TGOS

Old 06-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
(female)

AmericanDream HB User
Re: Went to doc - Added another med - Metoprolol XL - Anyone on this?

If I were you, I would take my BP again a couple more times before starting it. I am in the process of getting off of this terrible drug! I had the fastest heart rate imaginable. It would wake me up in the middle of the night and my chest felt like a jackhammer was plugging away in there. On top of that, I was getting night terrors, and I would constantly awake thinking someone was in the room trying to grab me or smother me.

My doctor was too pill happy when prescribing this to me. He never had me check my bp again, just the one time and he put me on it and never once told me the side effects.

I would certainly try another medication if I were you or find out for sure if you really need to be on it. Just by going on that one reading tells me that stress was a factor and maybe you don't need it.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

TGOA,

God, these doctors sure know how to ADD these drugs don't they? They must all have skipped Second Grade when most people were taught SUBTRACTION!

If you've never taken a beta-blocker, get ready to find out how horrible drugs can be.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-09-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I take torprol xl which is the same thing, I take 100 mg, I was reluctant to take it at first but bp has been a serious problem for many many years and I have had the same doctor for many years and he kept urging me over the years to treat it, and finally I said alright, I guess teh fact that he takes it too made me more willing to try you know he practicing what he preaches which gives me more confidence.

I did however adjust to the medication and the fatigue lifted but I got chest pains from it, so the doctor said the lisonpril would take care of that and it did, I take 10 mg and now my bp is 140/80 at teh office, and since I am usually nervous there anyway my home pressure is probably a little lower.

the lisinopril is causing me more fatigue then the torprol, but I am adjusting been on torprol now since feb, 2005, but the ace inhibitor almost a month.

I never thought I would adjust to it and get my energy back, not that I had alot of energy to begin with but you get my drift. I took lopressor (metrolprol) years ago and never could adjust to it because it would cause fatigue, the kind where you want to sleep but can't. this torprol is not doing that, probably because as teh doctor said you avoid the ups and down of metroprol which causes this type fatigue.

RR

Old 06-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
(female)

strong_one HB User

I haven't even touched the meds yet and my BP is running at around 122/88 this AM (which happens to be my highest BP of the day). I think I'm not going to take it for this month and when I go back - I'll see what my BP is.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

For anybody taking beta blocker, watch your glucose levels. Toprol xl can mask low glucose readings. I was recently diagnosised with diabetes, my dr also said my bp was a little high. He gave samples of toprol xl (50 mgs) and i immediately started having bad dream. This stuff really slows you down.

I stop taking it and worked on my diet. My bp is back to normal 117/75. Besides, my dr dx'd hbp even after i told him i was stress bcuz i had came into his office from work. I work with troubled teenagers in a group home. Of course my dr didn't listen to me.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Metoprolol is Toprol. I found toprol to be a very evil drug. It raised my blood pressure and gave me middle of the night blood pressure spikes.

Your milage may vary, but I think I am still screwed up 8 months after taking it for only 4 months.

Plus, if you decide it is not for you, you have to go through the beta blocker weaning process.

I think you are smart to take your blood pressure for a while and see what your readings are before you decide to try metoprolol.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #8
(female)

momofboys HB User

Metoprolol is causing me many problems. I am very depressed and can not sleep at all. I am loosing my hair and have leg pain, stomach pain, feeling as if someone is choking me. I keeping telling my docotor and he says its not the meds. I'm going crazy here!!!

Old 07-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

momofboys, you need to find another doctor. This one won't listen to you. Your symptoms are real and the drug is causing them

Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
(female)

indelibleroses HB User

i just found this message about toprol xl, etc.
this is one of the meds i'm on for my bp.
it makes my heartrate slow! too slow in my opinion, but not according to the doctor.
other than that, i also have the fatigue but never realized it could be from this pill. i have fibromyalgia, and thought it was caused from it. who knows, maybe the fatigue is totally from the toprol. geesh!

Last edited by indelibleroses; 07-17-2005 at 09:46 PM.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #11
(male)

jhvh1 HB User

I have been taking Toprol XL 100mg and Lisinopril 10mg,
doctor has me taking the Toprol at bedtime and the Lisinopril in the morning,
have only been taking it for about 2 months now, but my BP is down from an average of 138/94 to 111/77 and the only problems I am having with the meds is a bit of dizziness when I get up too quick.

I do have problems from some other meds, namely Lipitor and bad muscle pain, but these two meds are great.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
(female)

Brenlee HB User

I know this is an older thread, however, decided to add my 2 cents. Metoprolol works well for me. While normalizing my blood pressure, it also calms me (I have slight anxiety disorder) and helps provide a relaxed frame of mind and sleep pattern. Right now I'm going through some diagnostic cardiology testing and have been very anxious since my brother's sudden death. After being off of this beta blocker for quite some time, I asked the doctor to write the rx for metoprolol since I'm feeling overly stressed. And it helps a bunch. I take 50 mgs at night.

Closed Thread