It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
(male)

smiths87 HB User
I need a little home bp monitoring tutelage

So I took some advice from my last post responses and picked up a home monitoring device. It's a manual inflate self-taking w/ the sphyga-thingy. I think I got the hang of it but sometimes when releasing the valve when it reaches, say, 150, I hear a kind of phantom heart beat which then goes away after about 3 beats, then when I continue to release I hear the real beat (with no mistaking) approx 10-15mm lower. Do I go with the real deal or is that phantom beat the actual systolic? And is it OK to stop the release when I hear the beat to look closer at the sphyg and then continue until I no longer hear it and get the dialostic? I think I've got the hang of it but I figured this board probably knows the ins and outs. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: I need a little home bp monitoring tutelage

smiths,
You are decribing precisely why most of us opt for the automatic version...and perhaps why our doctors manage to get doofy readings much of the time.
Even some of the best hospitals are switching to the automatic devices. Ears are not as trustworthy as semiconductors and transducers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

I agree with Lenin: The local hospital does use the automatic device, the home ones
are cheap, and you're torturing yourself for no good reason.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:17 AM   #4
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

God I miss you guys. I have been so busy with the new home and fixing it. Now I have an acre of ground to tend to as well. Anyway, on this subject I get the same thing but being an old Medical Assistant I know that the that phantom beat you are hearing is the not the first reading. You will know when it really starts to beat. On the subject of the automatic monitor, can someone give me a good one to get so I can run out and get one today? I have the doc's type now with the dial not the mercury but I have always heard that the mercury is the most accurate. Lisa

Old 06-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
On the subject of the automatic monitor, can someone give me a good one to get so I can run out and get one today?
Omron HEM-780. IMHO, it's the best value (and probably best overall) monitor out there. You can buy it at Sam's for around $60. The other great thing about this model is that the included cuff works for pretty much all arm sizes. So, you won't have to buy another cuff if you have a large arm.

Pal

Old 06-13-2005, 06:49 AM   #6
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Thanks Pal..I have a normal arm but my hubby is a bodybuilder and the cuff i have now always flies open on him..Lisa

Old 06-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Moxie,
MEN with BIG GUNS need a large cuff. If the velcro starts giving when you measure your hubby, the reading is worthless.

There are plenty of supply houses that sell replacement cuffs. They all give the range of arm measurements they fit...double check by measuring. If you have an autoinflate digital read make sure you get a SINGLE TUBE model. The DOUBLE TUBE are for an inflation bulb model <yecch!> Should cost you in the vicinity of $20.

I love my LUMISCOPE 1085M...it has given me great, reliable service and it takes a large range of arm sizes. It cost me much less than $50 (maybe even $30) with a CVS Rebate deal a couple years ago.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-13-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hey Moxie-

Missed you!

I have the OMRON HEM 711AC..I think Palamedes has a newer model than mine. Mine is approx 3 years old and perfect! (Except doesn't have the cuff that will "fit most"). Mine comes with standard cuff that fits arm circumference 9" to 13". If needed, you can order a large cuff for 13"-17" arms.
But Pal's machine sounds great..not having to worry about cuff size.

Bottom line though is that OMRON and LUMISCOPE are both top-o-the-line; accurate, consistent, and seem to last forever.

zuzu xx

Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

My new Omron is model #HEM-780. It comes with the cuff for both normal and large arms so both my husband and I can use it. It also has an AC adapter but the best thing about it is no more EEs.

I love it!
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 06-14-2005 at 11:53 AM.

Closed Thread