It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #1

redherring HB User
Heat and BP

Okay, I need some input from the veterans of this forum . Can being in a hot room alter BP readings? It's hot where I live and I took my BP and it was 141/80. I've been running at 119-125 over 70-80 the last couple of weeks. TIA

Old 06-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #2

redherring HB User
Re: Heat and BP

Oh and I just ate too. Does eating cause a BP spike too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I don't know if being in a hot room would cause it. I thought being in a cold room would, though. After most meals, my BP goes down. But occasionally, it will go up. I suspect those meals contain some food to which I'm allergic. At any rate, I'm keeping a list of foods I ate in such meals to see if I can determine which specific foods cause it.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Usually if you are in an overheated room (or even in a hot tub) blood pressure often will get too low because the heat causes your blood vessels to dilate, resulting in blood being more concentrated in your skin instead of your internal organs. That's why we often feel lightheaded if we stay too long in a hot tub for instance. BP plunges!

So the 141 "spike" might have more to do with having just eaten. I know that doctors prefer to take BP at least a 1/2 hour before or after a meal.

I wouldn't worry at all about the temp spike you had. Your average #s are terrific!

zuzu xx

Old 06-14-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
(female)

red-rider HB User

Hi redherring~I have always heard that heat makes our pressure lower. Last summer my son played in a 2 month baseball tournament in June and July~some days it was over 100! my bp did not go down~it was the same as usual. I did drink plenty of cold water and kept a wet bandana around my neck~so that hepled. Food DEFINITELY makes my bp higher. The worst spike I ever had (was just last week). It occurred after a hearty/salty meal and after I took a calcium tab on top of all the food. Scared the crud out of me. Since then~my meals are way smaller and less saltier. Im also eating slower. These are good habits for all to keep~especially those of us who have high bp-or spikes. Food and drink is a trigger of mine~and Im glad to be aware of it. Iced tea is my favorite beverage~but I drink decaff tea(and coffee) or I would be bouncing off the walls
RR

Old 06-14-2005, 04:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I'm with Uff-da; I find that a hot room always lowers my BP to a very nice, or super nice level.
As zuzu explains, in order to lose heat the body dilates it's skin's arterioles so the skin is flush with "hot" blood and the process radiates away. It's analagous to opening all the spigots in an old house, the pressure falls.
I find exactly in the winter: When I am chilly, my BP always soars...the skin circulation is shut down to a bare minumum.

I haven't notice much change with eating normally but my BP goes up a little with a HUGE meal. I theorize that if the stomach needs extra blood-flow for digestion, it might well clamp down on the skin and brain...might also explain full-stomach-sleepiness.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-14-2005 at 04:39 AM.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:25 AM   #7

redherring HB User

Thanks everyone for the answers. I was stressed out yesterday. Running around my house and trying to eat at the same time. In addition, I absolutely detest heat (it's a menopausal female thing lol). I'm sure all of these factors played a role in spiking my BP. Now I need to NOT obsess over this one time spike!

Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I find that when I get hot and dehydrated in the summer heat that my heart rate and bp both go up some.

Closed Thread