It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
(male)

bankerky HB User
Problems taking Benicar 20mg

Has anyone else on this board had problems taking Benicar? I am aware that the ARBs have a side effect profile similar to placebo, but I had trouble with this drug. Specifically, I had dizziness, pressure in my face and skull, "clogged" ears that impacted my hearing, blurred vision, and a constant dull headache. I took the drug for 16 days, and had good blood pressure control - but these side effects never left.

I made the switch to Benicar from Toprol XL 50mg after three years on the drug, as it was impacting my weight training. Toprol XL made me lethargic and "weak-feeling" at times, but it was more tolerable than the Benicar.

Any help/advice is appreciated. Especially if another ARB did work for you when Benicar didn't. I really hope I am able to take another ARB.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Problems taking Benicar 20mg

bankerky,

Maybe you should have stuck it out a while longer with the Benicar. Hate to see you abandon a good drug if you are suffering a coincidentical bout of sinusitis or allergy.
What are you taking now, or nothing?

Before abandoning the Benicar, I'd go off it for 14 days and then re-introduce it. If the pattern turns the head symptoms on and off, you'll have no alternative but to try something else. In that case I'd recommend a trial with hydrochlorothiazide or clorthalidone. (Both keep bloat down so bodybuilders LOVE them )

What you're suffering isn't a common set of side-effects for Benicar...but people are different and a histamine release from an ARB wouldn't surprise me. Angiotensin and angiotensin-2 have many functions in the body and several of them realate to prostaglandins and histamines...pain and inflammation mediators.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
(male)

bankerky HB User

Lenin,

Thanks for your reply. I think 16 days was long enough, but I could be wrong. That said, I quit the drug yesterday, and I already feel better today (for one, my ears feel "unclogged"). However, my doctor suggested that I lay off the drug for a week and then see how I feel. He didn't mention reintroducing it, but I may give that a shot. If the exact symptoms return, then I'll know for sure the Benicar is causing them.

I haven't researched ARBs, but what you are saying is very interesting. I have terrible allergies and sinusitis, and it was if I had "poured gas on an open fire" from the day I started taking Benicar.

As of now, I am not taking anything. I checked my BP at noon and got 132/80, so I'm sure I'll be fine for a week. As for hydrochlorothiazide, a friend (who is a nurse) mentioned that drug to me yesterday - I need to look into it further. My problem is that at the moment I just don't have time to do much research between work and studying for the California bar exam.

Last edited by bankerky; 06-16-2005 at 12:54 AM. Reason: error in spelling

Old 06-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom said she had the same symptoms with avapro. She also had dizziness and leg pain.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
(male)

bankerky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane413
My mom said she had the same symptoms with avapro. She also had dizziness and leg pain.
Thanks for the information. I also had leg pain - terrible pains in my left knee. I had my last surgery on that knee 10 years ago, and it bothers me periodically. But I NEVER had pain like I experienced last week. It was a sharp, stabbing pain. Again, I think it was related to the Benicar.

Last edited by bankerky; 06-16-2005 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
(male)

bankerky HB User
Wink Re: Problems taking Benicar 20mg

It seems most people do okay with Benicar. I just tried Benicar again at 10mg, and still had problems with it. So I am done with Benicar!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-19-2005 at 07:17 PM.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
(female)

Goddesslove HB User
Angry Re: Problems taking Benicar 20mg

I have to say that I am taking benicar and wondering if this is causing my dull headache. Especially in the back to the crown of my head. I have never had this.. Also I get flushed in the face too.

Closed Thread