It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

SweetHome HB User
Question Blood Pressure and friends

I have a friend that has been diagnosed with high blood pressure. He was put on medication and everything seemed to be okay.

Lately though, his blood pressure has been rising despite the medication. He eats healthy and exercises. His height and weight are proportionate. There has been some life changing events in his life, like a parent's death and being laid off of a 10 year job.

He does drink in a fashion that I would call heavy, like drinking until drunk for the entire weekend.

I understand that he is under some pressure. What kind of support can I offer that would not be adding to the stress? I don't want to be a nag or presume that I know what is best for him. He is seeing his doctor on a regular basis and following directions. But his blood pressure is going up... any advice?

Old 06-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Blood Pressure and friends

SweetHome,
Heavy drinking WILL raise BP, sometime a lot, even binge drinking on the weekends. Is he gaining any weight...that will do it too.

You will have to tread a fine line in "suggesting" anything to him but you should broach the subject...gingerly.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-16-2005 at 04:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

The only thing I can think of offhand is to suggest that he visit this message board for some ideas. If he asks the questions, it should be much easier for him to take suggestions than if he receives unsolicited advice. I'd wait until this thread drops off the first page, though, so he isn't so likely to read it. You could suggest he go to a different blood pressure message board, but honestly, I haven't found any others nearly as good.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Is he looking for a new job? If you live in a big city there might be support groups for older people looking for a new job.

Do you do activites together? Can you maybe get him involved with softball or some other activity on the weekends to get him out of the house and away from alcohol? Physical activity is a good way to help relieve stress and help reduce blood pressure.

Closed Thread