It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
(female)

stars13 HB User
Trouble with Toprol XL

First of all let me say how much i value the advice i read on this board. I am so glad i found this site.

I am not as educated about all the different bp meds as you all seem to be. I realize now i should be.

I am 57, 5'7",and weigh about 183. I have been fighting bp for about 8 years now. I have problems it seems with most meds. I have been on so many i can't remember them all. started out on acupril which gave me a cough. have been on hyzaar and diovan which after a while gave me horrible chest and left arm pains. Also have had problems with lipitor and zocor.

I had been on benicar hct 40/25 and dynacirc 5mg and lescol xl 80mg for about 1 1/2 years when i started again to have problems. Lower back, legs, feet and ankle pain. I could hardly walk. And also anxiety which i never had till last summer. He first took me off of the lescol. didn't help. took me off the dynacirc also. felt relief almost immediatly but in a few weeks bp went up . he put me back on dynacirc. problems started again. so about a month ago he gave me toprel xl 25 which i was very afraid to try. but when my bp kept rising i finally did take it. I felt fine for a few weeks, then bp started spiking again. 210/110 He then raised the torpol to50mg. i was doing well. Went to see him last Tuesday, felt fine, bp was 140/80 in office which is good for me. He told me to come back in 6 months. Fine. Then on Thursday, bang, i felt soooooo tired and out of it. My back has started to slightly ache again. bp spiked to 177/99 in mid am. I just drug myself around all day finally taking a xanax, but even after bp came down by noon i felt lousy all day. couldn't wait to go to bed. Same thing happened yesterday. I walked around like an anxious zombie. It was awful. So today i took the benicar and since i have 25mg toprel tabs i took 1 and a half tabs. It's only 9:50 but so far i feel somewhat better. Still not tip top, a little queasy, but maybe that's nerves, i don't know. I don't like to take xanax every day.

What do yu think? wouldnt you think that if i was going to get so tired from this med it would have happened right away, not weeks later. The paper i have that came with toprel said that tiredness would leave in a few days after initally takeing it{ or words to that effect]. Do you think taking 1/4 less could make me feel this much better, at least i can think today. i don't feel so catatonic.

I'm so tired of fighting with these meds. I don't know anyone else who has trouble like this in my cirle of friends and family. I think they all think i'm nuts. sometimes so do i.

I'm sorry this is sooo long. I would appreciate any input, as i said before, i truly value your advise and help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User
Re: Trouble with Toprol XL

My mom took toprol xl for about three or four yrs along with 3 other bp meds. She often complained about being tired and bad dreams. Toprol xl is a bet blocker. My mom also had severe lower back pain. she also actually lost sight in her left eye.

once she stopped the toprol xl her eyes were better. toprol xl can't be stopped abruptly, it must be weaned.

I hope somebody on this board can post a reply for you that will help.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

stars13 HB User

Thanks lane for your reply. I know others have had problems with this drug, i've read about some on the board. I didn't know anything about damaging your eyesight. is that why they took your mom off of it. I just don't know whether to call my dr on monday and say i want another change or give it awhile and see if the tiredness goes away. I really can't function like this.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
(female)

stars13 HB User

I think i'm becoming obsessed with blood pressure. The first thing i think of when i awake is taking the meds and already worrying about how they will make me feel.

It's terrible, i worry about what to eat, drink, and when to do it. I'm driving myself crazy. I'm nauseated half of the day. I'm so full of anxiety over all of this plus other aspects of life but i'm afraid to become addicted to anxiety pills. I have xanax .25 mg and have been taking 1/2 the last few days.

When my dr. gave me the toprel i told him i heard awful stories about this drug and anxiety/depression and he told me not to worry. That in fact this drug is used for anxiety .

Although i'm sure the back pain, tiredness, dull neck pain and kind of a funny feeling in my face is all from the toprel, i'm wondering if the anxiety is causing other things like pounding heart sometimes, and shortness of breath sometimes . And i'm also wondering if this will go away in say a week or two. Anyone have this happen?

As i said, yesterday i cut the dosage by 1/4 and felt somewhat better. i took the same dosage today. bp was pretty good all day. Always highest in mid morning which was 146/92. by 11:30 it was down to 125/78. That's takeing it the way Lenin said to do it by taking 3 readings and eliminating the high and low numbers.

I have read on the board where many people take xanax regularly for bp. My question is when do you take it? At the same time as you take bp meds or later? Does it really make a difference ?

Does anyone ever feel normal again after bp meds?

one last thing, today i ate a piece of bread before takeing pills. i thought that might help with the queasiness. i usually took them on an empty stomach. i'll try anything.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

stars,

Yes, Toprol can be exhausting weeks after it's started.

LEt's go back to Square ONE and try nothing except hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg. THat's what your doctor should have started with but the profit return to the pharmaceutcal companies is tiny and it's discouraged.

What are you taking now, if anything, for cholesterol control since you stopped the Leschol and Lipitor?

Old 06-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
(female)

stars13 HB User

I'm not taking anything for cholesterol control. He said to wait for 6 more months when i return. I haven't been on lescol for about 2 months now.

I take supplements, Fish Oil, ester- e, co-q 10. Hopefully these help some.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

I take Toprol XL for supraventricular tachycardia. It caused me to become depressed, and I gained weight. My husband takes it for high b/p and had no trouble with it. I have 3 different problems with my heart, none serious, but the symptoms are killer!!!!!!!!!! I don't like the Toprol XL as well as I did some of the others he had me on, like Ziac. The ONLY thing I really know about Toprol is that is DOES cause depression. The anxiety you're having can cause your heart to race. I'd keep taking the Xanax if I were you, I do. I've always said I'd rather be addicted to the stuff than to walk around with anxiety induced high b/p and feeling like a cat on a hot tin roof. And you can always wean yourself off of them if you do become addicted. I did that once with Ativan, and had no trouble at all. Dr. did it slowly, over a 4 month period. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, I know how you feel about the obssessing about it though, I do too. I'm completely focused on it, it's all I think about. And every little symptom I have, I panic over. It's all so horrible.

Mellie

Old 06-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
(female)

stars13 HB User

You have been help Mellie. Just having someone understand how you feel is an enormous help. I think i will try taking the xanax more often and see if it helps. I've been taking it like 6 or 7 times a month before the toprol. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Toprol can also make you feel queasy. It did me. Beta blockers are used in small doses for anxiety sometimes, but I've read many accounts of where they cause anxiety. I think toprol did for me. I had a really bad time on Toprol, my first and only experience with beta blockers. I will never take any of that class of drug again.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
(female)

stars13 HB User

I called my dr. today, he just called back. I told him how bad i am feeling and he said to just stop taking the toprel. I have only been on it for about 6 weeks and only on 50 mg for about 3 weeks. do you think it's ok to just quit. he wants me to run in office in a week and have bp checked because he knows it's going to go up. but he wants beta blocker out of my system and then he is going to put me on something else he said. no more beta blockers though. whaddya think?

Old 06-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

If it were me, I'd cut back to 25 mg for at least a couple or 3 days before trying to stop. And if I started feeling bad/blood pressure increased significantly, I'd go to 12.5 mg for a couple days or so before stopping.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
(female)

nenna71 HB User

I totally agree with mgraylorn, wean yourself off. I stopped taking a beta blocker two weeks ago cold turkey and I felt horrible. Rapid heart rate, headache...I should have weaned myself in the first place instead of listening to my Dr and just stopping them!

Nenna

Old 06-20-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
(female)

stars13 HB User

Then wean i will. I'm just so glad to be getting off of them. But , yes, I will take your advise nenna and mgraylorn and go slow. thank you sooooo much for the help. I will keep you updated and will continue to rely on your experiences.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #14
(male)

clembert HB User

Hi: I also am on Toprol xl iv been on this drug for about 2 years now, Yeah I have to say
it works ok, but the side effects are pretty harsh for me! from dizzyniss to headaches to
dry mouth and rapid dehydration!! you can't drink enough water !! when on this stuff.
also iv noticed some Hairloss and blurr vision on and off.. I also cant stand bright lights!
never had this before good ol Toprol xl but it knocked out my palpitations! that was caused by Kaiser and a stupid doctor who gave procardia. yep !! it sucks dont it..

Last edited by clembert; 06-20-2005 at 08:01 PM.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I take torprol, 100 mg, at first it made me sleep all the time but gradually it let up, I got my energy back I would say within a month after my final dosage increase, started at 25 mg and worked up to 100.

I haven't had a problem much with it, got my energy back, as for the dreams I have always had weird dreams or intense dreams anyway so it didn't make much difference, but it does help me sleep better at night.

I take an ace inhibitor, lisinopril, it hasn't been a problem, I did get a mild cold a few weeks ago, probably got it from my husband who had a real bad sinus infection the worst he has ever had.

but I am better, my only complaint now it I can't exercise intensly like I used to, I used to be able to run two or more minutes straight on the treadmill, or jog outside (have to take it easy since I am heavy and for my poor knee when I jog outside) for at least 5 minutes straight before having to walk recover and then start back up.

but now I jog maybe 2 minutes outside, and one minute on the treadmill, you know since I my heart rate doesn't go above 120's when I run (used to get it to 160's without feeling like I am going to die) I find that I can deplete my glycogen stores really quickly, I know I have read where runners deplete theirs by going for long runs, past so many minutes or miles, but I found I don't have to do that, all I have to do is do sprinting work on the treadmill or try to hike a undulating trail in the woods as I find I get so breathless (no oxygen burning only sugar) that is takes me only an hour before I am exhausted.

exhaustion is a sign of low sugar in the muscles and blood.

anyway I still feel good and want to exercise and still do my workouts but I guess the only fat I will burn is during recovery. anyway that is my only complaint.

so you have to experiement with different regimens and see what works I tried everything else before trying a beta blocker since I have done beta blockers before and was not happy with it. made me duh!! too.

RR

Closed Thread