HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   Hod do I know if I have hig BP? And what do i do about it? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/296011-hod-do-i-know-if-i-have-hig-bp-what-do-i-do-about.html)

LF 06-19-2005 02:18 AM

Hod do I know if I have hig BP? And what do i do about it?

Hi all.

I'm suspicious that I am suffering from high blood pressure.
As I've never suffered before from this, I'm not sure how do diagnose it and what to do about it. I have no GP so I can't simply go to the DR and ask.

I'm a 34 yr old male - bit over weight (17 stones).

In the last week or so I've suddenly been suffering from major headaches - whilst I've suffered from headaches for years, I usually take some paracetamol and it goes straight away. However, this time it hasn't.
I'm extremely congested and my eyes are hurting constantly.
I seem to be suffering from a psynosis problem - again, something that I've had for years now.

I've been taking Sinu-tab for three days now & whilst the symptoms do ease, they seem to keep coming back.
This is the first time that I've suffered for a whole week with dizziness, constant headache, congestion, total lethargy - I feel as though I can't even stand up and I get out of breath at merely walking around.

Is this high BP?
And what do i do if it is?

Thanks for any advice..

red-rider 06-19-2005 02:30 AM

Re: Hod do I know if I have hig BP? And what do i do about it?

You may have a sinus infection. My husband has had terrific headaches from them. The best way to gauge your blood pressure is to buy a home monitor and take readings twice a day for a couple of weeks and you can write them down(like a diary). If it stays high you may need to see a doctor. But you need to get well from the sinus problem first. Sometimes that requires an antibiotic.
best of luck~RR

zuzu8 06-19-2005 02:47 AM

I agree with red-rider, that this is more likely a sinus problem.
High blood pressure is usually symptomless, that's why they call it "the silent killer".
Since over-the-counter stuff isn't helping much and you haven't had a check up in quite a while (no GP), PLUS you're 34 and a bit overweight, this is probably a good time to get a full check up with a doctor anyway.

As red-rider said, buying a home BP monitor is a good way to track your own blood pressure, but if you go to the doctor and your BP is [U]normal[/U] you don't need to invest in one!

It sounds as if you are in the UK, yes? And have national health insurance?
So ask some friends for a good GP and get a baseline once-over, plus he/she will most certainly help you with the congestion and headaches.

zuzu xx

Uff-Da! 06-19-2005 02:54 AM

Some fire departments have a policy of taking people's BP for free when their men aren't out on a call. You might call your local fire department and see if that is the case in your area.

I don't know where you are located, but in the US there are many drugstores that have blood pressure machines where you can check your own pressure. Wal-Mart has them. If you use one at a store, sit quietly for a time before you take the pressure. If you have been walking around the store and take your pressure immediately, you'll get a much higher reading than your "resting" BP, which is the one used for comparison to tell whether or not your pressure is too high.

I, too, am suspicious that your symptoms are more likely to be sinus problems or something of that sort, rather than high blood pressure. Only a doctor can tell you for sure. However, when you are ill, your blood pressure can go up, so your reading now might be high either way.

Lenin 06-19-2005 04:28 AM

LF,

If you indeed have HBP, the way to find out is to measure it, either at home or at the doctors. If it's confirmed, you will have to STOP taking Sinu-Tabs, they raise BP a great deal (pseudoephedrine.)

The best way to lower your BP would be to lose weight because at 238#, you are considerably overweight unless you are well over 6'3" or a serious bodybuilder.

PARACETAMOL (acetamenophen in the States) is not a good drug to take with regularity. Perhaps once a week should be the tops. It is MURDER on the Liver. If you find yourself taking it a couple times a week or more, switch to something safer. And NEVER take it on a day of heavy drinking. I get a certain "back of the head" headache that responds ONLY to acetamenophen and I take 1000 mg. (big dose) to abort it or else it will go on for 24 hours...I am careful to take it no more than twice a month.

LF 06-21-2005 12:06 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I've taken your advice & am visiting a DR this morning. My symptoms went OTT last night and I couldn't even stand up.
Thanks for the info re' sinu-tab and P/cetamol - good to know. I'll let you know what happens when I get back later today.

Thanks again!

zuzu8 06-21-2005 01:31 AM

Lenin,

Regarding OTC pain relievers, what could we take that's safer than acetamenophen? (Tylenol)...that leaves us with aspirin and the other NSAIDs (ibuprofen and company)...Obviously with HBP, ibuprofen ain't a great idea and aspirin for some plays havoc on the gut!

A bit of a rock and a hard place donchaknow! :confused:
zuzu xx