It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Jitterygal HB User
Natural remedies (supplements) for HBP?

I suffer from mild hypertension, I think due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I take Paxil 20 mg for that, but I still have to take Lisinopril 10 mg for hypertension. I hate taking medicine, though. I am doing really well with my anxiety and hope to be weaning off of it soon. My question is are there any supplements I may be able to take instead of Rx? Of course I wouldn't do both at the same time. Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Natural remedies (supplements) for HBP?

No suppliments proven to work. There are lifestyle changes that could make a difference. If you are overweight, lose those extra pounds. Exercise at least 30 minutes most days of the week. Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and cut out processed food with lots of fat and salt. Restrict salt intake. And for some people like me, eliminating caffiene reduced my bp by 10 points systolic and dystolic both. The exercise would probably help with the anxiety too.

And if you don't have a home blood pressure monitor, get one. Take and record your resting bp numbers. Your home numbers are likely to be lower than those in the doctor's office and a better indicator of your actual resting blood pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

Jitterygal HB User

Here's the frustrating part...I have taught aerobics for 20 years and have run 2 marathons. I also drink only one cup of coffee a day and don't get any other sources of caffeine. I watch my diet by not eating salty or fried foods. I guess I'm stuck with the meds--it runs in my family, but I'm only 39 and that seems really young to be going through this. Thanks for your advice anyway!!
Jitterygal

Old 06-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Try getting rid of the coffee. I drank one cup of tea with breakfast and found that it raised my blood pressure by the 10 points. Try going without coffee for a few days and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then go back to drinking it with confidence. One other thing, if you are on an estrogen birth control, or taking over the counter meds for congestion, allergy or pain, they can also raise blood pressure. Also some exercise suppliments can raise bp.

I too have a family history of hypertension. I was diagnosed at 46. I fear family history probably outweighs any other consideration.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jitterygal,

A supplement PROVEN to work is something called LESS SALT. It's cheap and easy (well, POSSIBLE); you just cut your salt intake in half!

Seriously though, some of the herbal diurtics DO work but they all cost a great deal more than the generic pharmaceuticals which work a lot better.

Other than that, the health food store won't be of much help.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

I read an article in that says these foods could help with bp. They are natural diuretics: cherries, dried apricots, oranges, green peppers, cucumbers, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, cayenne peppers, curry, and black pepper. The article say to eat two servings daily.

I was recently dx'd with diabetes and slightly elevated hbp. I tried this formular and my bp went back down to 117/70 from 140/85.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

As some of you know, I was on 30 mg Lisinopril for four years while caring for my husband 24/7. Several months after his death, I was able to decrease that to 10 mg. I tried at that time to go off the meds completely, but my systolic was still running in the low 140s unmedicated, so I stayed on the 10 mg for another year. This past January I was able to get off the meds altogether, and my BP is now running about 126/75.

I believe the difference was likely due to change in diet. Though I ate a fair number of fruit-vegetable servings before, I now tend to eat far more, usually having 16-24 ounces of fruit or vegetable juice a day and most days a giant salad for lunch, usually with a spinach base and including some combination of things like tomatoes, carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, onions, bell peppers, and garbanzo beans. I also have vegetables for dinner and about half the time, even for breakfast. (Yes, a large serving of homemade salsa on my scrambled eggs. Yummy!)

The only other thing I can think of that might have contributed to lowering my pressure in that time is that I started taking my magnesium supplement more regularly and during part of the time increased the amount from 250 mg to 500 mg daily. Magnesium is one of the nutrients which help keep blood pressure under control, and I had symptoms (nocturnal leg cramps and restless legs syndrome) which are frequently relieved by extra magnesium, so I likely need more than average.

We've recently had quite a discussion about magnesium, including its role relieving anxiety, on another thread; so rather than get into another discussion of that here, you might want to refer to:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=295288

Old 06-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #8

DebraL HB User

I tried a supplement called blood pressure factors. It did little to nothing for me. Only thing Ive found to help is magnesium. I still havent gotten it down enough, but if you have mild hypertension it could help.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
(female)

Jitterygal HB User
Talking Re: Natural remedies (supplements) for HBP?

Sorry, I have been away from the boards until today!!! Thanks everyone for all your replies!!! I am going to increase my intake of all those foods you recommended and check into the magnesium idea--I also suffer from anxiety disorders, so that could be a contributing factor also...I LOVE THESE BOARDS!!! I get so much support and encouragement from everyone...thanks again,
Jitterygal

Old 07-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Celery is another food to add to the list (post 6) to eat often. It is said to contain a chemical which lowers blood pressure.

I don't know how much truth there is to this idea, but I've also read the refined sugar tends to raise BP, so might be something to avoid.

Let us know how you do with trying to lower your BP naturally. I really do believe that for some people with mild hypertension, the dietary route may be all that is necessary. It's success probably depends upon how much of certain nutrients or food chemicals a person was already getting in their particular diet before they made further dietary changes. We just don't know all there is to know about it, that's for sure.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #11

babydog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterygal
Sorry, I have been away from the boards until today!!! Thanks everyone for all your replies!!! I am going to increase my intake of all those foods you recommended and check into the magnesium idea--I also suffer from anxiety disorders, so that could be a contributing factor also...I LOVE THESE BOARDS!!! I get so much support and encouragement from everyone...thanks again,
Jitterygal
Hi Jitterygal,

I have another post here but your story sounds similar to mine. I too have a family history of high bp and am currently suffering from anxiety disorder. Can you tell me how you were diagnosed and what your bp was at the time?

I am taking magnesium along with Calcium. But after reading what Uff-da wrote, I think perhaps I need more magnesium too so I will give this a try.

I am surprised that you were given both bp meds and antidpressants. If your bp is caused by anxiety, wouldn't the antidepressants have solved the problem by itself????

Old 07-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Jittery,

A few things here. First off Lenin is absolutley correct. LESS SALT. Get it under or around 1000Mg. per day. The less the better.

Secondly there are only a few natural things that are worth trying. Natural diuretics, fish oil and Co-Q10. Other than that forget it. Garlic, forget it, it will only make you stink and lose friends.
Fish oil after 30 days should lower it some and Co-q10 appears to dilate blood vessels around the heart in some clinical studies that I cannot locate right now, again after 30 days.
These along with sodium reduction as #1 could help you quite a bit depending on your hypertension.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #13
(female)

Jitterygal HB User

Thanks everyone--I am really trying to watch the sodium, but it is soooo hard!!! I really don't put salt on anything I eat, but the problem is that so many foods already have sodium in them!!! Can anyone direct me to a good diet that would help me with this??? I love those Lean Cuisine dinners for lunch, but they may have to go, because they are so high in sodium...I get plenty of exercise and I sweat a lot, which makes me think I need more sodium than the average person...but I am not an expert in this area...any advice is appreciated... Bye!!

Old 07-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #14
(female)

pearlyqueen HB User

Have you considered including foodstuffs that are natural diuretics in your diet to lower your BP?

I have recently cut out bendrofluazine as home monitor readings were low. To cover myself am buying extra celery and throwing a little into the salads each time as find this effective. The most powerful diuretic seems to be asparagus and husband and I were astounded at the effect after using a pack in a chicken pie! One pack spread across the week might be wiser. Don't know if you have dandelions in US but the leaves are effective and can be lost in a salad. So there are three alternatives just from experience.

One friend was recommended kiwi fruit and to my surprise has had good results and another is experimenting with certain mushrooms after researching subject on internet.

All of above are just items anyone could include in their diet but might do some good in the BP department.

Stef.

Old 07-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #15
(female)

BamaC HB User

Does anyone have any experience with Pycnogenol? I remember reading several articles that stated taking 100mg. daily could lower your need for prescription BP meds by up to 30%. In March my BP was 204/110, and I was put on Altace 10mg. At the same time I started taking 100mg. Pycnogenol. BP now runs in the 120's/70's but since I started taking them at the same time, I have no way to tell what effect the Pycnogenol is having. Would be interested in hearing what effect others taking it have experienced.

Closed Thread