It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

las7715 HB User
Are all calcium channel blockers created equal?

Hi everybody - so I was taking 80mg Norvasc with 50mg Atenolol - took the Norvasc for about two weeks, have been on Atenolol longer) and I decided Norvasc wasn't for me...it caused headaches, dry mouth and EXTREME fatigue. I can deal with the dry mouth and a little tiredness but this was ridiculous. My BP numbers did come down some, however. My question is, when you see the different brand names under a certain category of BP meds, whether it's ARBs, Beta blockers, ACE inhibitors, Diuretics, etc., are they each formulated slightly different or is it just different drug manufacturers? In other words, if I tried another CCB would it react the exact same as Norvasc, ie. side effects and all? ( I am supposed to try Clonidine next - I've tried all the others)

Last edited by las7715; 06-22-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
(female)

las7715 HB User
Re: Are all calcium channel blockers created equal?

MGraylorn: I meant to ask, does the CCB that you are currently taking make you drowsy? The Norvasc mades me feel soooo tired (still not out of my system completely) that I'd go home from work and take naps everyday and during workday I'd have to sit and rest periodly (I am up and down a lot at work, not a sedentary job) SO I can't be on a drug that makes me sleepy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Based upon what I've read here, tiazac/diltiazem generally may be the best. It does
lower your bp wo side effects, except, for me, very slight constipation tendency. It does "relax" the heart or slow the heart beat, which to me is a bit worrisome.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I don't think tiazac makes me sleepy. I am sleepy at times from chronic sleep deprivation, but I don't attribute that to tiazac.

The side effects I experience with tiazac are a tendency to consipation (eating lots of prunes and dried apricots morning and night take care of that), some experience of pounding heart rate, and some ringing in my ears. It does slow the heart rate, which I think was one of the reasons I was started on it. For me that slowing was not substantial, and I think maybe now it does not slow my heart rate. I've been on it for at least 2 and a half years.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

"Dine and Pine" sounds like the grief I suffer when I eat too much and blow my calories throught the roof

Good summary mg of the differences in the CC blockers.

Closed Thread