It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
Blood Pressure Readings

I was at the Mall on Saturday morning walking around and was approached by a young person who asked me if I wanted to have my blood pressure checked? There were tables set up with Representatives from Norvatis so I sat for a minute filled out a form and had my pressure checked. The first reading was 174 over 84. They took it again using my right arm and this time it was 143 over 79. I told them I had been walking around and I knew my pressure was going to be high but I did not think it would be that high? I also asked about the difference in readings from both arms and they said I could possibly have some kind of blockage?? I asked about the accuracy of the Omron kits they were using and they said that EMT's are using them now. I checked my pressure later on when I got home and rested for awhile and it was 115/75. Should I be alarmed by the readings I got at the Mall?? I took readings at different times during the day yesterday and they ranged from 115/75 to 125/80. I have White Coat and I swear that anytime I feel apprehensive my pressure goes about 30 points. I have been taking Diovan for a year now and my last doctors visit a couple of months ago my reading was 130/80 when the doctor checked it and I was also nervous...

Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #2
(female)

nenna71 HB User
Re: Blood Pressure Readings

George, if I were you I personally wouldn't be too worried about the readings you got at the mall. Like you, I have "white coat" and my pressure tends to skyrocket at the sight of the BP cuff. I am so bad that even seeing the BP machine in my local pharmacy makes my pressure rise! As long as your at home monitor was gauged against your Dr's monitor I would rely on your at home readings. And like you said, you were walking around the mall and if your local mall is anything like mine on the weekend...packed to the gills...your pressure could have been high.

As for the difference in readings from both arms...have you ever taking readings in both arms at home? It is fairly common for your dominant arm to have a slightly higher reading. I am right handed and the reading from my right arm is always a tad bit higher.

I hope I helped you a bit but if not, stop in at your Dr's office and have them do a blood pressure reading.

Nenna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Thanks, I am going to see the nurse on Thursday for a BP check and I am going to bring both monitors to have them checked out. I have an Omron manual with a stethoscope and dial and also an automatic omron. I had them check out the manual one last year and the nurse said it was accurate. I have checked out the automatic one against the manual kit and they are pretty close so I don't think there is any problems with my home numbers being accurate. I have the "WHITE COAT" and I know if someone else takes my pressure my heart starts racing a mile a minute and my pressure is high. When I take it myself at home I am relaxed and my numbers are all in the normal range. I knew I shoudn't have let them take it at the mall because I was already uptight and my heart was racing and I was actually breaking out in a sweat when they were finished taking it...

Old 06-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

One of the basic rules here is don't get excited about an isolated reading. Given the other evidence you present, you're probably fine. Have the nurse take two or three readings, if possible.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
(male)

nsmatch HB User

You "technically" have high blood pressure if they are high, measured at three separate times, preferably by a non-doctor. My blood pressure was 147/95 (high for me) after a walk and 10 minutes later it was 122/70.

Never take a single reading too seriously.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:44 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Thanks everyone. I have been checking it at home and my readings have all been in the normal range. I know if you walk around for awhile your blood pressure will go up. I guess the readings you get at rest are the important ones...

Old 06-28-2005, 05:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

George,

Next time you go to the Mall, be prepared. When a Novartis (Diovan) representative starts coming at you with his BP tester, pull a crucifix from your back pocket and hold it in his face...he will recoil in horror.
It works for the Scientology people with their e-meters as well.

(And who ever said the Malls were safe?)

I only talk to the people who give me candy...I guess something was remiss with my upbringing.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-28-2005 at 05:35 AM.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

To Lenin:

It's funny because the medication I take for hypertension is DIOVAN. I knew I should have just walked away and not even bothered because I already knew that they would give me a high reading. I have the WHITE COAT really bad. I get apprehensive when ever someone else measures my pressure but when I do it myself I am fine... That is why I sometimes wonder if I truly even have hypertension because the only time it was high was at the doctor's office and it was always normal when I checked it at home.....

Closed Thread