It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
(female)

Mellie310 HB User
Need advice badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh it's me again. I hate to post here again, I feel like a nuisance. I think one of my posts here talked about a spike of 149/71. Well, that was due to smoking over 2 packs of cigarettes per day. So, stupid me, I added a Norvasc, had cut it down to 5 mgs. and freaked over that spike because I've been told I'm way over medicated and it just seemed so high to me. So I cut the smoking down to between 1/2 pack and 1 pack, blood pressure today dropped to 86/39. And my ANKLES!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh God, I can't stand to look at them. Not having the urine output like I should be having either. Went to hospital, kidney tests were all perfect. Called my dr. and he wants me off of this Norvasc ASAP. But didn't tell me how to get off of it. I'm scared because I KNOW I have to stop taking it, I can't stand this swelling, even that scares me, but I'm scared to stop taking it. This is all such a mess and I'm sick of it and I hate it. Does Norvasc really cause bad swelling in your ankles? And how come I've been on this drug over a year, and my ankles are just now swelling like this? I took some Lasix today, they went down some, but swelled right back up. If anybody has any input on this I'd sure appreciate it. I'm really getting scared here.

Melanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Need advice badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie,

Yes, even after a long time amlodipine (Norvasc) can cause ankle swelling. Don't be afraid to just STOP the Norvasc cold turkey and continue with the Lasix all the while monitoring your BP.
I doubt you'll have any problems because all Norvasc seems good for is emptying our pockets and plumping our ankles...Lasix is the far better hypertension mediacation.
With your history, I'd even try to wean off the Lasix as well. I really doubt you have hypertension. Be careful checking because the Lasix withdrawal will cause a several day rebound because of water weight so do it gradually so as not to alarm yourself...on the SCALE!

But stop the Norvasc YESTERDAY, it's a HORRIBLE BP drug!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-29-2005 at 05:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

Mellie310 HB User
Re: Need advice badly!!!!!!!!!!!!! (lenin)

Have you ever taken the nasty stuff and if so, what did it do to you? And isn't 86/39 b/p with spells where everything looked grey, pretty bad? I keep telling my dr. that my b/p runs that low if I'm not doing a lot of smoking, (which I'm weaning off of too), and he gets upset about it, but I don't know, he just doesn't really tell me how to do anything here. Special circumstances at the moment are preventing me from seeing another dr. Namely, an alcoholic husband who, last February, lost his job due to drinking, was arrested 3 times, finally went to treatment, got his job back, but lost his benefits on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no insurance. So I have to stick with this dr. and trust him. But I'm telling you, I was so sick yesterday I really did think I was dying. I wasn't thinking straight, had a little confusion, kept "greying out" and could barely walk. Terrifying. But this dr. STILL thinks I have high blood pressure and am going to need something after the demon possessed Norvasc is gone. What a mess I'm in.

Thanks for your response. I love reading your posts as I think you are so wise.

Melanie

Old 06-29-2005, 09:24 AM   #4

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Melanie,

Yes, even after a long time amlodipine (Norvasc) can cause ankle swelling. Don't be afraid to just STOP the Norvasc cold turkey and continue with the Lasix all the while monitoring your BP.
I doubt you'll have any problems because all Norvasc seems good for is emptying our pockets and plumping our ankles...Lasix is the far better hypertension mediacation.
With your history, I'd even try to wean off the Lasix as well. I really doubt you have hypertension. Be careful checking because the Lasix withdrawal will cause a several day rebound because of water weight so do it gradually so as not to alarm yourself...on the SCALE!

But stop the Norvasc YESTERDAY, it's a HORRIBLE BP drug!
I have to agree with Lenin, Norvasc has the worst side effect profile out there! My former doctor wanted to put me on this drug with a one time reading of 140/80! She said I was going to have a stroke. That witch scared the bejezus out of me and it resulted in white coat hypertension going forward! Thank god for this web-site and other sites on the internet. I've educated myself on what HPB is all about. Doctors are not always correct.

BTW - my average reading for the last 30 days = 123/83...

Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

I can't imagine ANY dr. telling you that you're going to have a STROKE with 140/80 b/p. She must not be very smart, and even if your blood pressure was in the stroke range, I doubt I would tell you that, scare you even more.

BTW, are you on any meds right now? And if so, what? And have you ever taken Norvasc?

Thanks for your response. It's people like you all on this board that keeps my head above water and gives me the hope and reassurance that I need right now.

Melanie

Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I agree with Lenin, you can just stop taking the Norvasc. It isn't one that you have to wean off of. Take the Lasix for a while to get the swelling down, and monitor your blood pressure. Once the swelling is gone, you can probably cut down on the Lasix and gradually get off it. If your home, relaxed blood pressure readings remain below 140/90, then just ignore what this doctor says about your blood pressure until you can afford to go to someone else. It sounds to me like your blood pressure is driven by your anxieties and your stressful home life, and may not be high at all in reality.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #7

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie310
I can't imagine ANY dr. telling you that you're going to have a STROKE with 140/80 b/p. She must not be very smart, and even if your blood pressure was in the stroke range, I doubt I would tell you that, scare you even more.

BTW, are you on any meds right now? And if so, what? And have you ever taken Norvasc?

Thanks for your response. It's people like you all on this board that keeps my head above water and gives me the hope and reassurance that I need right now.

Melanie

Melanie -

No BP meds here. At least not yet. I ditched the doctor (yes indeed told me I was going to have a stroke) and got a new one who told me he wasn't worried about my BP (after I showed him a month's worth of normal readings). I've embarked on changing my diet. I do South Beach plus I watch my salt intake. No fast or processed foods!. I also do at least 1 hour of cardio 5-6 times a week. What I've read is that blood pressure can be controlled by losing weight, eating properly and making lifestyle changes. The only vice I have, however is nice chardonnay in the evening

Old 06-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Yes, I agree with everyone else... you can just stop taking Norvasc. But, I would also like to add that Norvasc has a very long half-life of 30-50 hours. So, it may take a while to completely wash out of your system.

Pal

Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

I wonder though, about how much is stopping this drug going to increase my blood pressure. I didn't take one this morning, my blood pressure is running right around 89/49. I hope it doesn't increase it a whole bunch, but with pressure that low, maybe it won't. Anybody have any info on that? Maybe just depends on the person.

Melanie

Old 06-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Your blood pressure is pretty low. If that is your normal unmedicated pressure, then you sure don't need medication!

Ideal blood pressure is now considered anything below 120/80. You can come up quite a bit and still be lower than that.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #11
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Well, I've cut the stuff down from 10 to 5 mgs. a day, and my b/p is even lower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday, all day long, it ran around 88/40. Never above 90 and never even above 50. Due to some bad effects from withdrawal from another drug, I'm a little leery to just cold turkey anything!!!!!!!!! So I'm weaning off. But yesterday was horrible. I really didn't think I was going to live. The swelling in my ankles is all but gone now, maybe a little trace swelling.

Why do they prescribe this stuff in the first place? I'm 49 years old and have never taken a drug that caused me this many problems. I feel bad all the time with it. Is there anybody out there that doesn't have problems with Norvasc? I'd be interested to know that.

Thank you guys for all your input. It really makes me feel better, and I hope you all know that I just have never had high b/p before, and therefore, know NOTHING about it. Guess I'm learning though, huh?

Melanie

Old 07-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Unless you are a medical professional, or closely involved in someone else's hypertension, none of us knew much about it before we were diagnosed. Both of my parents had high blood pressure, but all I knew is that dad managed his through diet, and mom got annoyed with her meds and stopped taking them all the time, leaving her with very high bp. So when I was diagnosed, I figured it was like birth control - I'd get pills and the blood pressure would be controlled. Little did I know I'd have "white coat", I'd have to try several different meds to find one that worked, and some would make me very sick, while working or not. I've never had drug reactions before, so the idea that I would take a drug and it would make me feel bad was disquieting. I now look at any new prescription with trepidation.

You have to learn all you can about hypertension and the drugs used to control it, since it is very complicated and a large number of people don't have an easy time of it.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #13
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Okay, I have another question. I haven't been taking Lasix. Not until last week when my ankles were so swollen and I called my Dr. I had a prescription for it, but never took it. So, I took the dosage that he told me to, but didn't see much increase in urine output. I got better effects with that by drinking lots of water. Now my ankles aren't swollen at all, they're nice and skinny again, BUT, the last 2 days, my blood pressure has been running in the 80's over the 40's and high 30's. I hated that, stumbling all over the place, passing out, BUT, it gave me some hope that maybe I could get off all these meds that he has me on, that I truly didn't have high blood pressure. Now I think it was the Lasix that caused it to drop. Can Lasix cause your pressure to drop even though it did NOT increase urine output? I had increased the Norvasc to 10 mgs. due to a spike, then decreased it back down to 5. My ankles swelled at 10 mgs. I've done that before, and everytime I've cut it back down to 5 mgs., all the swelling has gone out of my ankles. My wedding rings were never tight, I didn't feel like I was retaining fluid, except in the ankles, which has happened before on 10 mgs. of Norvasc. My dr. is NO help at all, so this board is all I've got till I can get on Brent's insurance and get to a dr. who knows something about this. I thought Lasix only lowered blood pressure if you were retaining fluid and if it caused your urine to increase. I don't understand. Man, this makes me mad, cause I thought I was home free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like I'm not. Tonight my b/p was 80/36, so naturally I thought I didn't need any meds. This is so confusing. My mother had high b/p, but she only took lasix when her ankles swelled, she didn't take it on a daily basis. And it didn't lower her blood pressure either. I'm sick of all this stuff, I want OFF that NORVASC!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm afraid it was just the Lasix that caused the decrease in my b/p. God I sound neurotic don't I?

Melanie

Old 07-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mellie,

Lasix and thaiazides have dual action in that they operate by purely fluid mechanics but they also have a relaxing vasodilatory action on very small arteries over time (and at even low dosage) that contributes to lowering blood pressure.

But I think the largest contribution is STILL the loss of sodium and water, even if you don't perceive it as extra urination. A more trustworthy guage of fluid retention is your weight on a good scale. Very often you will see a pound or two drop without ever having been aware of more bathroom visits. Remember a pint of water weighs a pound.

Your BP is clearly too low and a good first thing to do today is take either HALF your Lasix or skip it altogether. Tomorrow's dose will make up the difference...diuretics are vbery good at plating catch-up.

If you are running below 110/70, you are over-medicating and 80/40 is borderline life-threatening.

Actually, Mellie...I STRONGLY advise stopping all of your BP meds for 2 weeks and keeping a log with perhaps 2 readings a day (each averaged from 3)...one in the AM and one PM.
Taking BP meds if you DON'T have hypertension is dangerous business. Starting with your very VERY low numbers, taking 2 meds to lower them further and encountering a very hot, humid day could put you into a coma!
If your BP starts to climb over 140/90, you have the drugs close at hand...lasix works overnight.

PS...The reason drinking lots of water makes you pee a lot is because you are drinking a lot of water.. Over the long haul INPUT = OUTPUT!

Last edited by Lenin; 07-02-2005 at 06:55 AM.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #15
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Lenin,

You are very, very smart. When you said that b/p at 110/70 was over-medicating, I read that to my husband. That is EXACTLY what his dr. told him. He didn't want Brent's b/p to go BELOW 110. Mine is rarely at that number.

I didn't take the Lasix today, took everything else and am beginning to feel weak. So I know my b/p is too low, however, I hope it doesn't drop as low as it did yesterday.

Thanks so much for your post. It helped my husband and I understand what was going on.

All the best,

Melanie

Closed Thread