It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
Inactive

TSTANG89 HB User
Question Opinion Please.....On BP Meds

What BP Meds do you feel are the best out there with the least side affects from your personal experience.

Thanks
:-)

Old 06-30-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Opinion Please.....On BP Meds

I think the ARB's and the diuretics are the easiest, side-effectswise. THe diuretics are the stronger drugs IF you are the proper "type" of diabetic. The ARB's are weaker but work well with some addition of thiazide diuretics.
A very good class is the ACE inhibitors which are excellent for those people who don't get a never-ending cough from them. THey are also cheaper than the ARB's which work in a related way. Try an ACEI first; if you cough go the ARB route.

THen there are the calcium channel blockers; weak and rather hard for some people to take: they differ among themselves a lot, so trial and error might be the way to proceed. They usually need a second drug (like thiazides) to get satisfactory control.
Beta blockers are powerful, cheap, and full of side effects like fatigue, bradycardia, insomnia.

There are also a few drugs that are specialized like MAOI inhibitors, alpha-blockers, clonidine and sedatives....I presume for people who have severe, malignant hypertension. I'm not really up on any of them.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-30-2005 at 04:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Opinion Please.....On BP Meds

I agree that ARB's are generally considered the ones with the least side effects. They often aren't sufficient though if you have more severe hypertension.

I think I'd disagree a bit with Lenin about the diuretics. You need to make sure your don't get electrolyte imbalances, and in some people they can lead to diabetes. They also aren't good if you tend to be somewhat dehydrated normally. I am generally, and I couldn't tollerate a diuretic.

Closed Thread