It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Anyone with white coat syndrome??

Everytime I go to the dr. my B/P is in the 160/90 range, she had given me B/P meds, I came home and took it and it was 122/70. I had my wrist cuff with me at the DRS. to make sure it was accurate and it was. I called the DRS. office and she said do not take the meds. just keep monitoring it, if I get three consective high readings to call. I never get three high readings.

I had a colon done and was a nervous wreck, when I got there my B/P was 128/72, they told me the highest it was, was 142/76 and that was when they took me in the room for the test.

Do you take B/P meds for white coat? I have taken my B/P at home when stressed out, it does elevate but not near as high as the DRS. office.The nurse takes it and so does the DR. I do not understand this as I do not feel nervous going to the DR. This has been going on for years with me, maybe I just should not go to the Dr.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 06-30-2005 at 04:25 PM. Reason: I forgot the word white, I am glad you all knew what I meant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

las7715 HB User
Re: Anyone with coat syndrome??

I wouldn't take any meds if I were you. I would love to have numbers like yours. My BP readings are always higher in the doc's office, i.e. 170/100+ range, when I get home it may go down to 149/85 (which is still high) but it is always higher in the doc's office...I guess it's just conditioning from when I was a kid and I'd go to the doctor and they'd stick me in my rear end with those long needles!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

I have White Coat... My readings are always higher at the doctors office and when I get home they are normal. I was put on medication last year ( Diovan). My doctor had me take my readings at home which ranged from 120/80 to 135/86. He still put me on medication. I went for a blood pressure check this morning and I took my blood pressure kit in for them to check it. The nurse took it with theirs and it was 134/78. I took it with mine and I was so nervous that it came out as 175/82. She left the room for 10 minutes and when she returned she took it again using both arms--- right arm was 126/80 and the left arm was 120/74. She took her own using my kit and she said it was close to what she usually gets. She told me to stop checking it everyday and that the Diovan was working and my blood pressure was normal. She said if I wanted to I could check it once a week but she said she wouldn't even do that...

Old 06-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

A better question to ask is "who does't get white coat syndrome?" I would say most people suffer white coat at least some times in their lives. Too bad more doctors don't acknowledge it.

If your resting home numbers are consistantly below 140/90, you don't need medication. You have good numbers. Monitor at home occasionally, but don't worry about it unless you see your average numbers creeping up 140/90.

If you want to try to maintain good blood pressure, then get regular exercise, avoid added and heavily salted food, lose weight if you are overweight, and eat a good balanced diet.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

As mgraylorn implies, proper blood pressure is measure in a completely relaxed state. If anyone can claim to be in this state in a doctor's office, I think he is in the small minority indeed.
The only person who is almost guaranteed to NEVER see your true blood pressure is your doctor!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is so true, at least in my case. Thank you for all the replies they have been most helpful.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 06-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
(female)

las7715 HB User

Why does the nurse immediately take our BP's as soon as we are seated in the Doctor's examination room? Surely they know that WCS exists (do we have an acronym for that?) They are just in a hurry I guess and would not be willing to give us 10 min or so to settle down...I mean, if they know we are their high BP patients, they could just do it for us!!

Old 06-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think it's a hurry-up thing...every extra patient is another $100. Perhaps there's an advantage in that it avoids the building anxiety that can ensue while waiting your turn, having to pee, wondering about THE BILL, etc.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #9

redherring HB User

White coat syndrome is a hard condition to break. The last time I went to the doctor's it was 156/92 I went into the Dr's office feeling sooo relaxed. Yeah right!

My average readings at home for the last 30 days is 123/82. Today was 122/85 taken while I had just finished a hell-ish day at work.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've long ago given up...all my BP readings at the doctor's office indicate an incipient stroke...like 175/116. If indeed these were the real number's I've been walking around with for 20 years, I'd have been LONG dead!
Even in a hospital setting, relaxed in bed, I usually get under 125/80 but in a doctor's office forget it...one of these day's I'll squirt his mercury all over the ceiling.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-30-2005 at 05:45 PM.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lenin you are so funny, I should send my Dr. this site. Bet if you squrited the mercury they would make you clean it up.

Are you on meds?

My echos always show diastolic dysfuntion, either mild, moderate or marked, the last was moderate.Now I have read that if your B/P is high when the test is being done it will show this but it is because of the elevated B/P at the time. I get the test done in my Drs. office

My Dr. is very tiny, petite and pretty, you better not go to her or the mercury will fly.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 07-01-2005, 07:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Pa235, your doctor sounds like mine. Mine also looks like she is a college student and has very long dark hair she wears down in long curls.

Is there some trend towards tiny attractive doctors?

Last edited by mgraylorn; 07-01-2005 at 07:58 AM.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #13
(female)

pearlyqueen HB User

So happy to find I'm not the only one! 9 yrs. ago was diagnosed with HBP, 180/90 in Dr.'s office and has never gone down despite doubling medication, adding new ones in, now on three lots. When he said nothing was improving, I suggested to Dr. recently that I could take wrist readings at home for a month with husband's device. Never had the courage before as didn't want to know the horrible truth. To my amazement home readings are between 105/60 and 120/70. Dr. now has given me a 24 hr. monitor as says I'm abnormal. Instrument of torture I call it. Got it at 10.00am today, it kept kicking in every few minutes (between 3 and 8), was yelping in agony in the High Street and arm turned blue & went dead several times. Have ripped it off and abandoned it. Blood pressure now 180/90 at home due to anguish. Not in the mood to contact Dr. at the moment after 9 yrs. of un-necessary worrying that I was close to exploding. Has anyone found the 24hr. monitor to be comfortable please or am I a wimp?

Old 07-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

I wore a 24 hour holter monitor and it didn't bother me at all.

Is that what you are wearing?

-Angela

Old 07-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
(female)

pearlyqueen HB User

Thanks for replying - is a walkman sized bag housing the monitor with a metre long black rubber tube which was threaded through my clothes leading to arm cuff and a thick waist belt to hold it all in place. Cumbersome affair like the equipment the Dr. uses. Went into Dr's quite serene but had to remove monitor in under an hour when it became so out of control and don't feel like trying it again. Put my blood pressure way up. Electronics rarely work reliably for me. Wonder if yours was a different type? or better behaved?

Stef.

Closed Thread