It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #1

babydog HB User
Am I Developing High Blood Pressure???

I see my doctor periodically because she has been driving me a little nuts trying to control my cholesterol. I have done really well in getting that down with diet.

My blood pressure readings have always been great. Around the 115/75 range.

Now the last few times I went to see her they have gone way up. In April it was 132/84, May it was 140/90 (my heart was racing during the measurement), today after 2 measurements it was 140/90 and another one was 125/94 When she is taking it I can feel my stomach muscles start to tighten and my heart races. This is worse than the anxiety I use to get when I was taking my SAT's to get into college!!

Anyway, yesterday I took my own machine to work. Now I thought I would be really stressed at work and I would break the machine. Well, to my surprise I took 23 readings over the course of the day, most of which were below the 120/80 mark. On some the lower number was 64,68 and 69. I got one bad reading which I got right after talking to my mother (always a very stressful conversation) over the phone which was 147/97!! I need to remember never to measure my blood pressure after talking to my mother!! An hour later, it dropped to 118/79.

I really thought I would go into my doctor's office and ace her reading. I took several readings before the visit and I was averaging 125/84.

When I got home from the doctor I measured it myself and it was 123/76 I just measured it again tonight and it was 117/75. And I had a diet coke and coffee tonight!

How do I know if this is anxiety or I am really developing high blood pressure? There is a history of high blood pressure on my mother's side of the family. Is this how high blood pressure starts???? If I do have a phobia here, any advice on how to get over it???

If I were to go on medication, wouldn't it make my bp too low at times???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: Am I Developing High Blood Pressure???

Babydog,

You do not need BP meds at all. You are experiencing some normal jumps in BP that are really not bad at all. It may be that these are very early signs but HBP but I would tend to think that some changes such as lowered sodium intake would help a great deal and avoid the meds.

BUT, keep in mind as well that most often those that have higher cholesterol numbers wind up with HBP, or so it seems. I know I did.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

You don't have hbp. Stop taking your bp for a good long while. Take prudent lifestyle measures, esp. weight loss and, as mentioned, controlling sodium, to fend off hbp as long as possible. But basically, relax, even your anxious, stressed out readings aren't that high.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Keep a written record of your home readings so that next time you go to the doctor, you can take your record with you. Obviously, you have a touch of "white coat syndrome," where you get a higher than normal reading at the doctor's office. A lot of people do. But often a doctor sees only those higher readings and assumes that they are a person's "real" resting BP. Then they may prescribe medication based on the office readings only. That's why you need your home record to convince them otherwise, should they get that notion.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:31 AM   #5

babydog HB User

Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I had not measured it for almost 2 months. I started measuring again just the night before. The apprehension doing it the first time was horrible!

I measured it once this morning and it was 116/75! My doctor suggested I check it no more than once or twice a day which is fine with me. I think that is more than I can handle anyway. This is a terrible thing to be phobic about.

My doctor mentioned limiting salt. I never add salt to anything and I am already on a religious low fat, low cholesterol diet but she never mentions weight loss to me.

I am 5 feet tall and when I weighed myself yesterday morning I weighed 129 pounds which is pretty much what I have weighed my entire life. Now some weight charts actually say my range is 104 - 137 which would make me not overweight. Other charts I have seen say the range is 97-128.

To avoid high blood pressure, should I weigh on the low side of my weight range?

Old 07-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydog
Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I had not measured it for almost 2 months. I started measuring again just the night before. The apprehension doing it the first time was horrible!

I measured it once this morning and it was 116/75! My doctor suggested I check it no more than once or twice a day which is fine with me. I think that is more than I can handle anyway. This is a terrible thing to be phobic about.

My doctor mentioned limiting salt. I never add salt to anything and I am already on a religious low fat, low cholesterol diet but she never mentions weight loss to me.

I am 5 feet tall and when I weighed myself yesterday morning I weighed 129 pounds which is pretty much what I have weighed my entire life. Now some weight charts actually say my range is 104 - 137 which would make me not overweight. Other charts I have seen say the range is 97-128.

To avoid high blood pressure, should I weigh on the low side of my weight range?

First off, all have excellent advice above.
Getting a 116/75 reading in the morning is El-perfecto. You cannot get any more perfect. I get those types in the morning to sometimes BUT my problem is that I experience a rise throughout the day usually by noon to 142/92 or a little higher. And even THAT is not bad because it will actually go down by evening BUT when it goes up like that I can feel it as it is uncomfortable (head pressure) and will leave me with a headache. So the doc and I agreed that I needed a little something to help it. Trouble is, what is that "something"? Tried so many, headaches, headaches , headaches OR BP falls to low.

Uffda is absolutely right. Take those readings in with you for proper diagnosis.
Pal, is also correct. For stressed out readings those are not that high at all.

Relax.

Last edited by Stumper; 07-02-2005 at 06:33 AM.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

A person's "ideal" weight depends on a lot of things, like ratio of fat to muscle mass and body frame. If you look up a body mass indicator (BMI) you can get an idea of what you should weigh. I just found one, put in your height and weight and it listed you as overweight, but not by much. If your doctor tells you you should lose a few pounds, he or she is probably giving you good advise.

There is some sort of body fat measure that involves dunking you in water I think, but I don't know the details.

I am 5 foot 6 inches tall and 134 pounds, which gives me a bmi of 21.6 and I am still a bit pudgy. Your current bmi is 25.2. You may be built completely different from me however.

Closed Thread