It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #1

redherring HB User
Diastolic Question for the Veterans

Do you know what controls the diastolic pressure? I know it's the heart at rest. I've been able to lower by systolic very well through lifestyle changes (down to 110) but by diastolic seems to want to remain between 80-85. I know my diastolic doesn't look bad, I'm just wondering why it doesn't respond to the lifestyle changes like my systolic. thanks!!

Old 07-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Diastolic Question for the Veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by redherring
Do you know what controls the diastolic pressure? I know it's the heart at rest. I've been able to lower by systolic very well through lifestyle changes (down to 110) but by diastolic seems to want to remain between 80-85. I know my diastolic doesn't look bad, I'm just wondering why it doesn't respond to the lifestyle changes like my systolic. thanks!!
Some of the answer has to do with blood volume and thickness of the blood. That is something that you don't want to change without the doctor's input. Some people who donate blood see a temporary lowering of the normal diastolic but it does increase to what is normal for them in time to donate again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

The very good news is that your pulse pressure is very low--you heart is hardly working. I wouldn't mess with or worry about it.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think it has to do with the flexibility of the venous/arterial systems which gets less and less with age. A more flexible system can "squeeze back" more and thus maintain pressure absent the heartbeat for a little longer and a little harder. As we age, the pipes are more rigid and once the heart stops there's no more back pressure. Thus at any stage of life th diastolic will be more determined and less "adjustable" than the systolic which is highly depedent on the strength of the heartbeat!

Just a guesstimate thaough.

Closed Thread