It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #1

soma02 HB User
Is this too high for somebody my age?

I'm a 29 year old male, in good shape(workout a lot), I don't drink and don't smoke. In general I would say I'm a very anxious/nervous individual. My body always seems to be running in overdrive. So if someone were to say to me that I have high blood pressure I wouldn't be shocked.

I went the doctor today for allergy related issues. This was my first visit as I have just moved to a new state. After he prescribed some medication for my allergies he mentioned that he was worried about by BP reading. I think it was 150/90 when they measured it. I told him I get nervous easily and probably suffer from anxiety. He said to come back in a few weeks so he could re-check it.

I don't go to the doctor much, but when I do my BP reading is always high. So it didn't surprise me when he brought it up. To decipher if I have "white coat syndrome", high blood pressure or both, I decided to purchase a home BP device. The funny thing is I still seem to get nervous even when I'm at home taking the reading, figure that one out. Anyway, after 11 readings, my systolic was almost always in the 140's, my diastolic was always in the 70's. So my diastolic was much improved, but the systolic was still high.

I watch my diet and try to eat a lot of low fat foods. However, I have never paid any attention to my sodium intake. I looked at the amount of sodium in the foods that I eat and I do seem to be consuming a lot. So the first step for me is to reduce my sodium intake and see what that does.

A few questions though. Why did my diastolic drop but my systolic stay elevated? Which measurement is considered more important; diastolic or systolic? If a low sodium diet doesn't reduce my systolic level at all should I go back to the doctor or just not worry about it? I realize that my BP isn't extremely high, and if I was 50+ years of age I wouldn't be too concerned. But for a 29 year old male in good shape I think it's not something I should ignore, especially since BP increases as we age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Is this too high for somebody my age?

Some people suffer from "white coat" even when they take their own pressure. Take it several times a day for a while. After you begin to get tired of taking it, you'll probably get over your nervousness about the reading and will be better able to tell whether or not this is really your resting BP or not.

From what I read on one site that was apparently designed for doctors, the diastolic is most important up to age 50, systolic and diastolic equally important from age 50-59, and pulse pressure (the difference between systolic and diastolic) age 60 up. Whether that is the current thinking or not, I don't know. A lot of things like this change over time.

If your diastolic continues to be in the 70s at home, and your systolic in the 140s, I'd wait longer than just a few weeks to go back to the doctor, as it might take longer than that for you to get so bored with taking your pressure that you relax. The systolic is the one that is more affected by stress, so I'm suspicious that your reading is just showing your anxiety at this point. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and non-fat dairy, get rid of most of the junk food if you are eating it, keep taking your readings, and if your systolic is still up in the 140s in four to six weeks, then I'd say it is time to go back to the doctor with your written record of your recent readings. JMHO.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma02
I'm a 29 year old male, in good shape(workout a lot), I don't drink and don't smoke. In general I would say I'm a very anxious/nervous individual. My body always seems to be running in overdrive. So if someone were to say to me that I have high blood pressure I wouldn't be shocked.

I went the doctor today for allergy related issues. This was my first visit as I have just moved to a new state. After he prescribed some medication for my allergies he mentioned that he was worried about by BP reading. I think it was 150/90 when they measured it. I told him I get nervous easily and probably suffer from anxiety. He said to come back in a few weeks so he could re-check it.

I don't go to the doctor much, but when I do my BP reading is always high. So it didn't surprise me when he brought it up. To decipher if I have "white coat syndrome", high blood pressure or both, I decided to purchase a home BP device. The funny thing is I still seem to get nervous even when I'm at home taking the reading, figure that one out. Anyway, after 11 readings, my systolic was almost always in the 140's, my diastolic was always in the 70's. So my diastolic was much improved, but the systolic was still high.

I watch my diet and try to eat a lot of low fat foods. However, I have never paid any attention to my sodium intake. I looked at the amount of sodium in the foods that I eat and I do seem to be consuming a lot. So the first step for me is to reduce my sodium intake and see what that does.

A few questions though. Why did my diastolic drop but my systolic stay elevated? Which measurement is considered more important; diastolic or systolic? If a low sodium diet doesn't reduce my systolic level at all should I go back to the doctor or just not worry about it? I realize that my BP isn't extremely high, and if I was 50+ years of age I wouldn't be too concerned. But for a 29 year old male in good shape I think it's not something I should ignore, especially since BP increases as we age.

Soma,

Was the home BP machine a good one? Sometimes the ones that are a little more expensive are better. Omron is a good accurate one.

Secondly, 150/90 is high enough in a doctors office for most doctors to want to take a second look. Mine was that high when it was brought to my attention.
First off sodium reduction is in order. Do this first and try to get it under 1000mg. per day if you can. The lower the better. Try taking more readings from other machines also and watch to see if you notice a spread in the numbers known as "pulse pressure." My guess is that your numbers are a little closer together than what you might be showing.
Keep taking some more measurements and don't get to concerned as a 150/90 office is not totally severe, just noticable.

Keep an eye on it for awhile and jot down your readings.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I have many anxiety disorders, including OCD, and one of my obsessions is "What if my BP is high and I have a heart attack?" It also doesn't help that I'm an aspiring cardiologist. One time, when I was 13, I had a systolic reading of 135, and this was pure "white-coat hypertension" due to a panic attack. Now though, even though I still have panic attacks at doctor's visits, I have learned that just deep breathing while the nurse is putting the sphygmomanometer on helps immensely, and I haven't had a problem since. In fact, I just (compulsively) checked my blood pressure yesterday at the supermarket and it was "optimum": 115/75- yes!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-07-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma02
I don't go to the doctor much, but when I do my BP reading is always high. So it didn't surprise me when he brought it up. To decipher if I have "white coat syndrome", high blood pressure or both, I decided to purchase a home BP device.
High blood pressure caused by "white coat syndrome" is still high blood pressure. A reading of 150/90, regardless of the cause, is still a blood pressure reading of 150/90.

If someone's anxiety in a doctor's office pushes the blood pressure up, then one must ask the question, "At other stressful times, how high is the blood pressure?".

Some people get stressed out at a doctor's office, at work, during rush hour traffic, when paying bills, when arguing with spouse or kids, when watching sports, etc.

Blaming high blood pressure on "white coat syndrome" doesn't mean that the high blood pressure wasn't real.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

soma,

As a general rule, dangerous hypertension in the young manifests as a high DIASTOLIC and reverses as we age.
A little salt restriction will go a long way towards reducing your marginal systolic...even a 2 gram limit will pay dividends.

But I think all is well and you need to relax more before your reading. Make sure you are sitting reclined at least 15 minutes before you test...test 3 times and record the middle values. Your true BP will be a monthlong average of these readings.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

Jitterygal HB User

I have a question about taking your blood pressure with the cuff at home--does your arm have to raise to heart level to be accurate? I read that somewhere on this board, and I didn't know that!!! Does that make it go up or down as opposed to having your arm by your side??? Thanks for the input...Jitterygal

Old 07-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Jitterygal-

For the best accuracy, your arm should be supported on a table, limp and relaxed, palm up, with the cuff at heart level.

zuzu xx

Old 07-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #9
(female)

icsue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
High blood pressure caused by "white coat syndrome" is still high blood pressure. A reading of 150/90, regardless of the cause, is still a blood pressure reading of 150/90.

If someone's anxiety in a doctor's office pushes the blood pressure up, then one must ask the question, "At other stressful times, how high is the blood pressure?".

Some people get stressed out at a doctor's office, at work, during rush hour traffic, when paying bills, when arguing with spouse or kids, when watching sports, etc.

Blaming high blood pressure on "white coat syndrome" doesn't mean that the high blood pressure wasn't real.
High blood pressure is only high when it is up there most of the time and consistently high, not when it's spiking when you go to the doctors or get under some stress. My blood pressure was 150/87 when I went in last time but at home it's about 118/78. My pulse went up to 120 when I was at the doctors office which is higher when I'm exercising most of the time. My doctor agreed with me that I was just nervous at the doctors office.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsue
High blood pressure is only high when it is up there most of the time and consistently high, ...
Most people only have their blood pressure taken occasionally. They don't know if their blood pressure is high consistently. If someone's blood pressure goes up at the doctor's office, or while taking a test, or while under stress at work, or under stess at home, or in traffic, then that person has a propensity for high blood pressure, and should take steps to maintain a normal, healthy blood pressure.

Most people, whose blood pressure stays under control, do not have a problem with blood pressure in the doctor's office, IMHO.

Quote:
... not when it's spiking when you go to the doctors or get under some stress.
You don't feel that high blood pressure, while under stress, increases a person's risk of a heart related problem. I do.

I fear that some people will use "While Coat Syndrome" as a denial that they have a blood pressure problem.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

The manual with my cuff says that blood pressure normally varies over the course of the day and with different activities. A spike when you are angry is not bad, it means you are human. No one's blood pressure remains the same all the time. Now maybe people with hypertension tend to have higher spikes than people who don't, but even people with no blood pressure problems will get some spikes above 140/90. That doesn't mean they have high blood pressure.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
The manual with my cuff says that blood pressure normally varies over the course of the day and with different activities. A spike when you are angry is not bad, it means you are human. No one's blood pressure remains the same all the time. Now maybe people with hypertension tend to have higher spikes than people who don't, but even people with no blood pressure problems will get some spikes above 140/90. That doesn't mean they have high blood pressure.
Actually, I agree with you. It's the spikes up around 170/115 that are worrisome.

When someone's blood pressure really goes up high, under the stress of a doctor's visit, or driving in traffic, or arguing with the spouse, etc., and that person disregards their blood pressure because of "White Coat Syndrome" then that person might be in denial.

As you say, mild blood pressure increases are somewhat normal.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

And I agree with you. If someone spikes to 200/115 or more in the doctor's office, they more than likely have hypertension, with or without white coat on top of it. A doctor's office reading of 150/95 could be white coat only, if you were really anxious about doctor's offices. I wonder if there are any studies on the average blood pressure boost from white coat over normal blood pressure? I think my high end white coat increase is about 20/10. If I subtracted that from 150/95, I'd be 130/85 - not low, but less than the hypertension cut off. I don't think I get really nervous at the doctor's though. Some people really seem to panic at having their bp checked.

I can imagine there are events which would send a normal person's blood pressure extremely high - like if they thought they were about to be killed, but ordinary stressful events like fighting with the boss or spouse, or getting cut off in traffic should not put the nonhypertensive person up into the possible stroke range. So I agree, if your blood pressure gets really high in everyday stressful events, you should be concerned, since you are probably hypertensive.

My designated spousal unit is a runner - has been doing it for more than 25 years. His bp and pulse are low. One time he got freaked out about something and we tested his bp with my monitor - it barely went up at all.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 07-13-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Closed Thread