It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #1

soma02 HB User
Question about these home BP devices.

Today I purchased a Walgreens Automatic inflate BP monitor($60). I don't mean to sound like a wimp here but when this things cranks up the pressure it feels like my arm is going to pop off. Am I alone on this?

The instructions say it shouldn't feel uncomfortable, but to me it is. I even started it off real loose around my arm but there was no difference, it just inflated more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #2

babydog HB User
Re: Question about these home BP devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma02
Today I purchased a Walgreens Automatic inflate BP monitor($60). I don't mean to sound like a wimp here but when this things cranks up the pressure it feels like my arm is going to pop off. Am I alone on this?

The instructions say it shouldn't feel uncomfortable, but to me it is. I even started it off real loose around my arm but there was no difference, it just inflated more.
Just a thought. I have a bp monitor which adjusts depending upon how high your pressure normally runs. My husband's can get quite high at times so it is often adjusted to 200 (if you systolic runs over 160). So if I don't readjust it for 160 and leave it at 200, I get that arm is about to pop off feeling too.

Like I said, I don't know what model you have but it's worth looking into.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
(male)

cbrookhart HB User

There are some digital bp monitors that will automatically inflate to the correct level each time without having to adjust anything. One brand that I know of that has this feature are the LifeSource monitors. It may be worthwile to get that brand of monitor instead of the Walgreens one where the inflation level has to be manually adjusted each time.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I love my Omron. It inflates to 170 and if the first number is higher it will inflate again to 210. I hope I never hear it inflate a second time.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Fiddle with the controls. If I set it to inflate to 200 (or God forbid, 240) I feel as if I am going to pass out from the pain...and the ENDLESS time to get a reading.
My lowest level is 160 and I leave it there. It is fine to any reading up to 150. IF however, I have a spike above 150 (like if the phone rings while testing) it will recalibrate to 200 and stay there til I lower it.

I have a Lumiscope.

Check for this "settability," soma.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #6

soma02 HB User

Thanks for the responses. You guys seemed to touch on the problem. When it initially inflates to 160 my arm feels fine, it's just that second inflation up to 200 when things get uncomfortable. It seems I'm getting more used to it now though. I will say that during two readings the device only inflated to 160, which felt much more comfortable. I don't know if it had to do with the position of the sensor in the cuff or not. BTW, the Walgreens bp monitor doesn't have a settings adjustment, so maybe I should take it back and get one that does.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

soma,
If there really is no adjustment on the Walgreens unit and it assumes everybody needs to go over 200, I'd DEFINITELY return it. But in my heart of hearts, since probably only a couple manufacturers make all the store branded units, I'd almost take even money there IS some sort of setting control. On mine it's called SELECT!

Old 07-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #8

soma02 HB User

Lenin,

Thanks for your help. I decided earlier to return the Walgreens BP monitor, I exchanged it for an Omron($80 on sale). The Omron is much nicer. It allows you to change the settings plus it takes your BP reading much faster. The Walgreens monitor took forever to deflate and show a reading, the Omron seems to deflate at least twice as fast. So anybody looking for a BP monitor, skip the Walgreens brand and go with Omron.

Closed Thread