It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 04:58 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Think I may put myself back on BP meds

Uff-da,

I find that a bout of exercise to exhaustion will use up the adrenal rush. That's what adrenaline was meant to do: cause fight or flight.
So you get to choose: kick-boxing (fight) or jogging(flight!)

I'd buy a new machine if I were you, if for no other reason than to relax yourself! I doubt whether talking will do much to/for BP unless you talk during the test itself ans the machine mistakes your voice for a hearbeat !

Last edited by Lenin; 07-16-2005 at 05:04 AM.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:30 AM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I find that a bout of exercise to exhaustion will use up the adrenal rush. That's what adrenaline was meant to do: cause fight or flight.
So you get to choose: kick-boxing (fight) or jogging(flight!)
Lenin, you are a kick! Well, I did go on a brisk walk yesterday. Walked about a mile and a half, and was about half a block from home when I stopped to talk to a neighbor. Well, she and I have the same doctor and we both have had problems with blood pressure and cholesterol (we'd discussed it before), so that's the direction the conversation went. (Big mistake!) Then we discussed the CNN news article from a couple of days ago "NIH finds ethics violations in 44 cases," regarding the government employees who did not disclose their work for the drug companies on their financial disclosure forms. By the time I left there, my adrenalin was right back up as high as when I started. So I had to walk another half mile to bring myself back down again!

Quote:
I doubt whether talking will do much to/for BP unless you talk during the test itself ans the machine mistakes your voice for a hearbeat !
Ah, you're kidding. It depends upon the emotional content of the talking. I'll bet I could bring my blood pressure up between two readings five minutes apart without even talking, just by my thinking! No kidding, that's how extremely I think my blood pressure responds to anything with any emotional content at all. I know my systolic went up about 20 points just by reading the news on the web one day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
Ah, you're kidding. It depends upon the emotional content of the talking. I'll bet I could bring my blood pressure up between two readings five minutes apart without even talking, just by my thinking! No kidding, that's how extremely I think my blood pressure responds to anything with any emotional content at all. I know my systolic went up about 20 points just by reading the news on the web one day.
Uff-Da,
You sound so much like me. I can raise my BP 20-30 points just by thinking it may be high. My doc has tried meds like ativan ( which also makes BP go high cause it makes me feel funny ) and sent me to a phychiatrist for therapy, that didn't work either just made me a nervous wreck from sitting still for 30min talking. She (the phych) wanted me to take Paxil, but I wouldn't even try that.

Maybe my white coat problem is really just too much adrenalin. Maybe I just need to wear myself out fighting and running too. What ya think, Lenin?

Seriously though, now that I think of it. On the days I wear myself out doing house cleaning, gardening, cooking and busy things like that my BP is well within a normal range. It's the days I mostly relax that I get high readings, also if I sleep an extra 30 min in the morning. Hummmm

Cass

Old 07-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #34
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

My bp jumps up and down all over the place too. I bought a new monitor (on sale), just so I could confirm the readings I got with my old monitor. Just being anxious about testing the new monitor sent my bp up and all over the place! I took lots of reading with both machines and never got the same one twice, and pressure gradually going up! Finally I used both on my designated spousal unit, who has been a runner forever and has a low, constant bp and pulse. He got the same reading within about 3 points from both machines.

I did settle down the next day. I thought the new monitor was recording a bit higher readings than the old one, but then I got a reading lower by 10 points on the systolic with the new monitor.

I think some of us just have very volatile bp.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I drove into a neighboring town yesterday and bought another monitor, an Omron HEM-711. Then I tested it against my Reli-On with eight pairs of tests a couple of minutes apart each. Individual pairs of tests varied by as much as 21 points systolic and 7 points diastolic. But the average for the eight tests was only two points difference in systolic and identical for diastolic. So I hardly think that the 27 points difference in systolic between my monitor and the doctor's monitor was because my almost-new monitor wasn't working!

I'm out another $50 I couldn't really afford for that monitor, but at least now my doctor isn't as likely to totally dismiss all my home records. Like I said before, since I'm planning to live to age 101, I may eventually need another monitor anyway.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I had a follow-up visit with the doctor today after getting all my test results back. My blood pressure at the office today was 138/60. Again, the nurse didn't give me a chance to sit a minute or two after walking into the room before taking my pressure, or I think the systolic would have been lower. I now know from past experience that I can lower my systolic about 10-14 points just by taking a couple of deep breaths. Too bad I didn't have sense enough to do that, as I should have known that just the walk down the long hall would have raised my pressure. Besides, she had startled me when she woke me up. No kidding, I got so tired sitting there in the waiting room for 45 minutes that I had just nodded off!

Anyway, after all the fuss last time about my blood pressure, the doctor didn't even mention it this time.

After seeing some of the risk levels on my blood tests, though, and reading more of the research on the web, I think that for women that getting a good blood pressure is more important than lipids. So, though I didn't ask for and get a prescription for BP meds this time, before I see her again in three months or so, I want to do more testing at home. Not only do I intend to keep trying to lower my BP average with breathing exercises, but I'm going to do some experiments on what foods affect my BP.

I'm also somewhat suspicious at this point that maybe my BP goes up at night, instead of down. If that is the case, then a daytime average of 125-130/70-75 may not sound so good. I'm going to have to remember to take that BP monitor with me to bed, though, to get some readings when I wake up in the night. This may be interesting. I'll keep you informed.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I saw my doc today too. Previously at every visit my BP would go WAAAAY up. Today I tried to remember to breathe deeply. I could feel the anxiety in my body but my BP was only 149/72. Last visit (2 weeks ago) it was 182/101 so the deep breathing did help with the white coat.
I have BP that goes up in the evening like yours. I take my beta blocker at bedtime but I suspect my pressure stays higher through the night. I keep trying to remember to take it when I wake up in the middle of the night and after reading your post I wrote myself a note and stuck it to the bathroom mirror. Now if I can just remember to look at the mirror
Looking forward to seeing what both our measurements are at night.
Cass

Old 08-05-2005, 05:07 AM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I took my BP at 2:50 AM this morning while still in bed. It was 140/67. Unfortunately, I was startled awake by a cat falling out of bed. Either that or two of them got in a tussle and one got pushed out. Anyway, the fact that I was startled by noise could have raised my BP higher than it might have been previously. I hope. Because if my night time BP is really that high, I'd probably better get back on BP meds due to my other risks. I'll have to take more night readings to get a more accurate picture.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I took mine @ 2:00. It was 175/95. It was 132/82 @10:00 when I took my pm meds. I am hoping it's due to weaning off clonidine which I took at night but honestly I don't really beleive that. i was startled awake too by my dog.

This am it was 138/82 and after am meds it was 115/64
My poor GP is going nuts trying to figure this out.
Cass

Old 08-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Since I only got three hours of sleep last night, I took a long nap this morning. Unfortunately, I was again startled awake, this time by a chain saw going right next door. I did take my pressure and it was approximately the same as during the night.

But wow, Cassiebel! Your pressure really did go up at night! Let's hope it was mainly the being startled together with going off the Clonidine. Are you diabetic?

My biggest concern is that just a few days ago I was reading a website which explained about ambulatory blood pressures. The first chart they showed had a major dip at night, and the caption was, "24 h ambulatory blood pressure profile showing a nocturnal dip in a hypertensive subject. In most individuals blood pressure falls by 10 - 20% during the night."

The next chart showed the night time pressures almost as high as daytime, and the caption read, "This 24 h ABPM shows sustained hypertension with the absence of a nocturnal dip. Absence of a normal diurnal profile may be associated with increased risk of target organ damage." The third chart showed elevated BP at night with the caption, "Plot of ambulatory blood pressure profile obtained from a diabetic patient, with reversal of the normal diurnal profile (higher pressures at night)."

I've tried finding out how "normal" that is. IOW, do most diabetic patients have their BP go up at night? Is that a tell-tale sign of insulin resistance? Who else has their BP go up at night? How many "normal" people do? I haven't found any answers to that yet, but I'll keep looking as I have time.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #41
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
But wow, Cassiebel! Your pressure really did go up at night! Let's hope it was mainly the being startled together with going off the Clonidine. Are you diabetic?
No, I'm not diabetic, I've had normal sugar levels every year. It just seems to me that every medication I have ever taken only seems to work for approximately 12 hrs. None of my drs can explain it. I strongly suspect I'm insulin resistant though.

I'll check it tonight again, hopefully I can wake up with out my doggies help.

Cass

Old 08-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #42
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

I've noticed that if I wake up at night my pressure is much higher than during the day. Last night and when I woke up in the morning, it was in the 170's! Then an hour after I'm up the numbers start going down to the 130's-40's. I am a diabetic, but my numbers are very tightly controlled and I do very well, waking up in the 80's-90's.
I can't figure out why I wake up to such high systolic pressure. My diastolic is great... usually in the 60's-70's.
When I wake up I feel aggitated and not quite right. My heart is usually pounding too.
I am taking a beta blocker and diovan. I have discontinued my calcium channel blocker because of side effects. It didn't seem to affect my pressure anyway.
I exercise by walking and eat low carbs.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cher - Any chance you might have sleep apnea? Have you discussed the high systolics when you wake up with your doctor?

Old 08-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #44
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Uft-Da.... I just started noticing the high systolic at night so I haven't had a chance to tell my doc. He will just put me on more BP meds. anyway! I want to find the RIGHT meds., not keep adding new ones to the mix! He doesn't stop the old ones, he just adds on new ones.
I can't figure out why it isa so high at night. My diabetes is well controlled. I never noticed it was high before at night... this is a new thing.
FUN!

Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #45
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I don't think you should put too much into readings taken when you are startled awake. I think the blood pressure naturally goes up when you first awake as your body is going into a more active mode. And being startled from being non-alert sets off the adrenline, the old fight of flight reaction. Think of our primative ancestors - if you are suddenly awakened by a saber tooth tiger, you don't survive to pass on your genes if you are groggy and slow to move.

Closed Thread