It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

Mellie310 HB User
Finally getting off meds

I haven't posted here for a while, because I've been pretty sick with what I would call dangerously low blood pressure. It's been running in the 80's, sometimes 70's over the lower to upper 30's and low 40's. There have been a couple of days that I thought I was going to die. Anyway, I am not going to allow myself to walk around here and not have a life of any kind, because I have NO energy to do anything but just lay around. Walking from the den to the bathroom wears me out. So.................I am weaning off those meds. I am now down to 2.5 mgs. of Norvasc, have been off the other 2.5 mgs for 4 days now, also have cut the Lisinopril down to 80, since nothing over that works anyway. I have anxiety disorder, as I've told you before, and when I got up this morning, I called my dr., whom I also talked to last night, we had a huge fight again, (well I did, he was scared), I smoked a cigarette, called the dr. back, and was extremely agitated over taking my BP to see what it was doing after weaning off two meds at the same time. I did NOT wait 30 minutes after smoking, and did NOT take a resting BP, and was so agitated and anxious to even take my BP right after I got up. I had only been up for less than 20 minutes when I took it. And it was only 99/50. My question is this..............how do you guys think I'm going to do when I'm completely off the Norvasc, which will be soon now, and am down to 40 mgs. of Lisinopril? I am having a LOT of anxiety over this, but I know that if I don't get off of it, I'm not going to live. The other day it was 73/35, and my husband wanted to take me to the hospital, but I know what they do to people who have blood pressure that's too low, and was afraid to do that. So I wound up smoking 35 cigarettes in one day to raise it, (I've cut it down to half a pack a day), and my blood pressure only came up to around 80 over high 30's, low 40's.

Mellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Finally getting off meds

I think you can completely get off the Norvasc with no problem.

Let me ask you a question, are you getting all your readings with one blood pressure monitor? You might want to confirm your readings with another monitor, even one at the pharmacy or grocery store. If I have a run of very low readings with my monitor, I wonder if it is still working right. I then do something that will get my blood pressure up, like get P.O.ed about something and take my reading. I then get a high reading, so I know my machine is working.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Yes, I agree with mgraylorn. Please verify that monitor's accuracy. If it is, then get off the bloomin' Norvasc! This is what you said in another thread on July 5:
Quote:
Okay, I talked to the dr. that my dr. (who is really a PA) works under, and he said that I AM way over medicated. Well, I knew that. He said that nothing more than 40 mgs. of Lisinopril even work, and has told me to stop taking the Norvasc 5mgs. cold turkey and to cut the Lisinopril from 160 mgs. to 80 mgs. He said that he doubted I'd see a huge difference.
Your doctor told you to quit the Norvasc.
DO IT!Your doctor told you to do it a week ago, what are you waiting for? I don't comprehend why you are so reluctant to get off the meds, when (if your readings are correct) you've been running with a BP just a few steps above death. Getting off them (well, reducing to what your doc said) isn't nearly as dangerous as staying on them.

Who did you have the recent fight with? The doctor or the PA? And what was the fight about? That he was upset with you for not getting off the Norvasc, as he told you a week ago? Do it before you kill yourself!

Old 07-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Wow, Yes, I agree with Uff-Da. Why in the world would you take meds to lower your BP and smoke cigs to bring it back up.
It appears your obsession with your BP is going to kill you. It is much more dangerous to have a BP of 80/40 than 160/100. Your heart will weaken from lack of oxygen.
Get off that Norvasc and lower that dose of ACEI.
You worry me girl,
Cass

Old 07-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #5

redherring HB User

I agree with Uf-Da, get off that satanic medication, norvasc. Also, kick your incompentent healthcare provider to the curb There's plenty of fish in the sea.

Last edited by redherring; 07-12-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #6
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
I think you can completely get off the Norvasc with no problem.

Let me ask you a question, are you getting all your readings with one blood pressure monitor? You might want to confirm your readings with another monitor, even one at the pharmacy or grocery store. If I have a run of very low readings with my monitor, I wonder if it is still working right. I then do something that will get my blood pressure up, like get P.O.ed about something and take my reading. I then get a high reading, so I know my machine is working.
No, I'm not getting all the low readings from one monitor. I was questioning it myself, so we took it manually, and it read the same thing. I still questioned it, so Brent went to Walgreens and bought a new one that cost right at 100 dollars. It is an Omron brand. So I'm checking it with 3 different monitors. Plus, I can always tell when it is too low, I can feel it, it feels like death is hovering at my door, which I'm sure it is. The reason I am reluctant to get off the meds, (well, I'm not reluctant anymore), is because I have some issues over my Father's sudden death. Don't really know what the connection is, but I believe that's it. But I'm going ahead and getting off of it. I have seen a small increase in my BP, but not much, however, I feel MUCH better today than I have in 3 weeks or so.
I know you guys think I'm nuts, but I'm really not. I've had spikes before and was medicated for them, and as soon as I started feeling weak, tired and like I was going to pass out, I'd get right off of them. This staying on the meds and living like I have the past 13 months HAS GOT TO DO WITH SOMETHING CONCERNING MY FATHER'S SUDDEN AND UNEXPECTED DEATH, which I intend to get help for.

I have a fight with the PA, not the MD. He called me back today, (the PA) and apologized for over medicating me in the first place. They are going to be working together from now on to get my BP where it needs to be. Don't worry, I'm going to do it. I would rather have slightly elevated BP than this. This has been a terrifying experience and I don't even know how I've stayed alive. Plus, the PA kept insisting that I stay on the meds. It hasn't been till the past 2 or 3 months that he's told me to get off of them, but he keeps changing the way to do it. So I feel like I'm in trouble if I do, and in trouble if I don't. I hope you can understand me better now. Maybe I shouldn't post here anymore?

Mellie

Old 07-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie310
Maybe I shouldn't post here anymore?
Mellie, of course you should post here. If you saw me shouting at you in my previous post, I was. Because I care and that is what I thought it might take to get you to understand the importance of getting those drugs reduced pronto! Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better today. Now don't take any Norvasc tomorrow. Keep us informed how you are doing.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Thanks. Don't think I don't know that I'm acting bizarre, but I'm scared now and AM doing something about it. Just took BP and it was 98/49, up, but still way too low, but at least I'm seeing an increase. And how nice to see that reading, when yesterday it ran in the 80's over the 30's ALL DAY LONG. I take my last 2.5 mgs. of Norvasc tonight and I'm off the nasty stuff. The same thing happened to my father in law with that drug, his numbers NEVER got as low as mine, but they got low enough that he actually prayed that God would keep him alive, he was so sick. He's completely off of it, and that's been about 4 weeks ago, and he is just now feeling like his old self again, he says.

I will keep you informed. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your reply, I really appreciated that.

Melanie

Old 07-12-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie310
I take my last 2.5 mgs. of Norvasc tonight and I'm off the nasty stuff.
Why take it tonight? Your doctor said you could quit cold turkey. Throw the thing in the toilet. You don't need to keep your pressure down.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

We really do understand and we are scolding because we are so concerned about your health. It is so easy to get obsessed about hypertension, I know cause I was for years and years. The problem with me was the more obsessed I became the higher my BP went. I think part of my problem was my mothers death at a very young age, although not heart or BP related.
I was afraid to take meds not give them up.
Please let us know how you feel as you give up some of your meds. I bet you can cut down even more and do super good!
Take care of your self,
Cass

Old 07-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Yes, please keep us posted. We are all concerned about your extremely low blood pressure numbers. You don't need the drugs, or at least not as much as you are taking. You are so worried about HIGH blood pressure that you are going to kill yourself with LOW blood pressure! We don't want that.

You recognize your fear is irrational, but you don't seem to be able to take control and give up the meds. If you can't act, realizing your fear is irrational, you need some sort of professional help, and quickly. I hope you didn't take any Norvasc this morning - you don't neeed that drug! Please stop taking it! And smoking to raise your blood pressure is a bad thing - you know smoking is unhealthy.

Your blood pressure isn't bad unless it is above 140/90, and that just puts you in the lowest category of hypertension. You are behaving like an anorexic who is all skin and bones but still thinks she is fat. Drop Norvasc. Lower your other bp meds. Monitor your blood pressure. You have a long way to go to get your pressure up to 120/80 which is considered optimal.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

I didn't take any Norvasc last night, so I'm completely off that drug now. Now we're working on the Lisinopril. BP this morning upon awakening was 107/49. Took the lisinopril, which the dr. told me to do, and about an hour later, I started feeling weak. Took it again and it was 90/46. But maybe it'll take some time for the Norvasc to leave my system? It's still way too low, so how long will it take for me to see results from NOT being on Norvasc any longer? I can't tell you how GOOD I feel, knowing that I will NEVER have to be on that horrible drug again. I had about 10 of them left, they are now floating around somewhere in the sewer system of the city I live in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that the half life of Norvasc is 30-50 hours, so does ANYBODY know when the my system will be completely free of that medication? My father-in-law when through the same thing with it, and he got off of it too, he said he thought it'd take 3 or 4 days to see an increase in my BP, but he's 86 years old, is VERY hard of hearing, and takes his bp manually. My husband and I don't think he can really get a good reading because of his really bad hearing, so I just don't know. And of course, I'm worried that in a few days, I'm going to see this HUGE spike. Anyway, I hope somebody knows and can give me some input on this. But.................I am now OFF the Norvasc. Thank God.

Melanie

Old 07-13-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Melli,

excuse me as I am not trying to be mean here but you are not using your God given noodles.
Dump the meds and do it quickly. I have gotten low BP like that in the past when I took norvask and it was a quick decision for me. Stop using them and IF you need some later try only a very small dose.
BP that low will cut critical blood flow to the brain. Cut the meds, for if you continue your life is at risk.
There is no simpler way to say it.

Last edited by Stumper; 07-13-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #14
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Thanks Stumper.

How low did your BP go, and how high did it go after you got off the Norvasc? I am completely off of it now, and scared to death that I'm going to see some hugh spike, which is, (I hope) very irrational, since it was down in the 30's, diastolic, today. Not all day, but I had two readings that low. I just don't want to see an enormous spike like I had last June. God I hate being like this, all this fear. It's maddening.

Mellie

Last edited by Mellie310; 07-14-2005 at 12:10 AM. Reason: did quote wrong

Closed Thread