It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
(female)

Selene71 HB User
Hydrodiuril, birth control, and weight loss?

Hello I was just diagnosed with hypertension and started taking Hydrodiuril yesterday. I think my blood pressure has been high for quite some time, but didn't think about having it checked until this week, when I went in to see why my weight loss has been at a stall for the past 2 months. My doctor advised that the prescription may help get my weight loss back on track, but I've read where weight gain could also occur--anyone have any good/bad experiences with Hydrodiuril to share with me?

Also to add...I've been on Ortho-tricyclen for the past 15 years. I'm quite sure that the pill did NOT contribute to any of my weight gain, because I've been at a healthy weight up until 2 years ago. I need to lose 20 pounds to be at my healthy weight range. I've lost 15 pounds in the past 8 months by tracking my calories and regular workouts, and I'm determined to lose the last 20 within the next year!

Thank you for any info you can provide to someone that is paranoid that this Hydrodiuril will prevent me from losing more weight.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
(female)

evelyn1 HB User
Re: Hydrodiuril, birth control, and weight loss?

Did your doctor suggest you stop the oral contraceptives? Are you in 30s, 40s? I am seeking advice regarding contraceptives and hypertension. I've read and read on the Internet and there is conflicting information out there. 6 months ago, the studies were saying that low estrogen dose OCs actually had enough health benefits to somewhat negate the cardio vascular risk for otherwise healthy older women, but this month the results of a study were published that negate this information.

I took birth control pills for a total of about 15 years on and off when I was younger. I never or rarely had side effects, but I suspect they raised my bp somewhat. I went off about 10 years ago. For the past few years I've had serious cramps and want to take oral contraceptives again.

My gp and gyno do not want me to go back on the pill because I have mild hypertension. I have been on and off different bp meds, and I have finally find one that keeps my bp low at a minimal dosage. Altace 2.5, once a day, and occasionally a little hctc keeps it around 100/70 to 115/80.

The NSAIDS I take for cramps make my blood pressure rise anyway. I'm concerned about the cardio risk of taking large doses of NSAIDS (ponstel, cataflam, or naprosyn in my case) several days a month. I monitor my bp daily and I know it goes up when I take them. Even the cardiologist who did a stress ultrasound test said it would be OK to take oral contraceptives.

Last year my doctor gave me samples for Micronor, an all progestin OC for people who can't use estrogen, as well as samples of ortho-tricyclen lo, which has only 25 micrograms of estrogen. He told them that I could try them since I understood the risks, but I did not try them at the time.

Now with my bp down, I'm thinking I'll try the ortho-tricyclen lo. I am 47.
BTW, everyone in my family has hypertension - but everyone who has had a major cardio event has smoked and/or eaten a lot of pork bbq and/or is overweight. I am normal weight and eat well and exercise. My sister is slim and has hypertension, and hers goes up on birth control pills, but she has the added risk that she gets migraines - which I don't.

Would love to hear more about what your doc said about the OCs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

Selene71 HB User

Hi evelyn1,

My doctor advised that I can continue taking the pill and it will not adversely affect my blood pressure. I'm in my 30's and I take the pill to regulate my periods and alleviate my cramps. She did suggest that I could switch to Ortho-tricyclen Lo, but I didn't want the spotting that is common with this pill.

My doctor attributes my hypertension to my lifestyle more than anything--I have a high-pressure career, a second job, and get "stressed out" more than what is necessary. I'm trying to work on that though, and hoping the BP meds will keep things in check until I can regulate the hypertension without the use of drugs.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Selene,
Hydrochlorothiazide is a double edgedword weight-wise.
It gives an immediate weight loss to many people due to excretion of sodium and water. THis looks and feels good overnight. However, long term, most people claim that it tends to cause weight gain. I'm inclined to agree, but I'll only couch for a LITTLE weight gain.

I think that ANY medication that lowers blood pressure will lower metabolism (it takes ENERGY to support a high vascular pressure) and thus contributes to weight gain. I think it might be wise to pare a few calories a day from your diet to cover any gain from the Hydrodiuril (a really OLD brand name...my mother used to take HCTZ called that even defore she was on Esidrix.)

Last edited by Lenin; 07-17-2005 at 06:18 AM.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

Selene71 HB User

Thank you Lenin, for your feedback. I'm going to continue with the calorie-counting and exercise as usual(hopefully I can keep my energy levels up to par). I'm already noticing a loss of appetite, so I'm thinking that paring my calories down won't be too tough.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

when I've taken Maxide or HCTC, I've noticed some rebound fluid retention. I'm on just Altace 2.5 now, and I think I do better without the HCTC.

Selene 71, how is your BP doing now? I"m going to see my doctor next week and am going to discuss birth control pills again.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
(female)

Selene71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn1
when I've taken Maxide or HCTC, I've noticed some rebound fluid retention. I'm on just Altace 2.5 now, and I think I do better without the HCTC.

Selene 71, how is your BP doing now? I"m going to see my doctor next week and am going to discuss birth control pills again.

Hi evelyn1,

My blood pressure hasn't changed, but I'm still on the half-pills for another day. I'm hoping that I can show an improvement by my next appointment next week. Good luck with the birth control issue--I'm glad I don't have to quit taking them right now.

another question about the diuretics--they warn about keeping out of the sun while on them...how careful do I actually have to be with this? I will be working outside in the sun this weekend, and I really can't cover up completely. What will happen if I do get sun?

Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

A lot of meds warn to avoid prolonged sun exposure. I believe it refers to an increased sensitivity to sun - sunburn, sun rashes and the like. Use lots of sunscreen and be sure to drink plenty of fluid. With the diuretic you increase your likelihood of dehydration from the combined effect of the drug and sweating. It would probably be wise to take frequent breaks in the shade or in air conditioning, especially if you start feeling bad, too hot, nauseous, etc.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
(female)

Selene71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
A lot of meds warn to avoid prolonged sun exposure. I believe it refers to an increased sensitivity to sun - sunburn, sun rashes and the like. Use lots of sunscreen and be sure to drink plenty of fluid. With the diuretic you increase your likelihood of dehydration from the combined effect of the drug and sweating. It would probably be wise to take frequent breaks in the shade or in air conditioning, especially if you start feeling bad, too hot, nauseous, etc.
Thank you, mgraylorn--I was just about to become a vampire for the duration of the prescription but I bet I don't have to go to that extreme if I am careful.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:15 AM   #10
(female)

Selene71 HB User

UPDATE: I've been feeling extremely nauseous the past couple days, and I'm noticing a loss of appetite(I can barely force myself to eat a bowl of cereal, and just thinking about eating makes me dizzy). Is this a side effect that I should be worried about, or is it common? Perhaps a whole pill is too much for me? Since Thursday, I think I've averaged about 300 calories a day, which I know is NOT good! Any ideas on how I can get over the nausea? I want to lose the weight, but not in an UNHEALTHY way.

Closed Thread