It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
(male)

kkotha HB User
Question No salt (salt alternative)

Hi,

I do not have hypertension yet(35y), but have a significant family history of hypertension, stroke.

I wonder if no salt ( salt alternative) with no sodium and 650mg potassium is of any use for normal diet? Also does it cause any problems?

How about lite salt with some sodium and potassium?

Thanks for your suggestions.

kkotha.

Last edited by kkotha; 07-17-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: No salt (salt alternative)

Using a salt substitute, which typically contains potassium chloride, instead of or in addition to sodium chloride would be fine, provided you aren't taking a potassium-sparing medication and you don't use it in excess. I don't know how bad the No Salt tastes, but I've found that when I use Lite Salt, I just use more of it, so am probably not reducing my sodium intake much. Apparently the potassium chloride just doesn't taste enough like regular salt to satisfy me. I personally find it easier to cut down on salt by using extra pepper. Some people prefer different seasonings.

Be aware that it is possible to get too much potassium. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't go overboard on the salt substitute. If you ever do have to take medication for hypertension, just be aware that you'd need to check whether the medication is a potassium-sparing one. I don't know if there are other medications that are potassium-sparing or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

kkotha,
It is a fine product but is definitely AN ACQUIRED TASTE. It works better with some foods than others.

You won't have any problems unless you take certain BP meds becasue the human body usually has no problem with dietary excesses of potassium. In fact, it's usually in short supply with today's processed foods.

I find that NO-SALT, NU-SALT, or SALT SUBSTITUTE are all substantially the same...mostly potassium chloride. THe LITE which is usually half salt will STILL usually get you too much extra sodium. Most of us have trouble keeping to 2400 mg./day even with the home addition of ZERO sodium so anything added via salt shaker can be too much!
Use very little of the potassium chloride at first, especially with expensive food lest you create something inedible. Like easy on the veal, lobster, and lamb chops!

Old 07-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
(male)

kkotha HB User

Thanks very much Lenin and Uff-da. That pretty much answered my questions.

Closed Thread