It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

indelibleroses HB User
Unhappy I take 3 Blood Pressure Meds

hi, i'm indelibleroses and i'm brand new here.
i am now taking 3 different blood pressure meds: toprol xl (200mgs.), altace (10 mgs.) and dynacirc cr (10mgs.)
the doctor just upped the dynacirc last thurs from 5 mgs to 10.
i've noticed since starting the dynacirc i've been having slight panic attacks, and since thursday, have grown more anxious. also, my heartrate tonight was only 49. he told me thursday, between 50 and 60 is fine for me. i just haven't been feeling right the last couple days. kind of spacey, dizzy, just weird. i'm not in any pain, no dizziness when standing up, etc. i can't put my finger on it, just feel funny.
anyone else here taking this many bp meds?
i've had high bp since about 1988. (i'm now 56 y.o.) up until this year, i was only taking Lopressor for it, but it wasn't really controlling it any longer. first he gave me altace, then he added toprol in stead of the lopressor, then upped the altace, then added the dynacirc, then upped the dynacirc. this is getting ridiculous. how many pills is it going to take before it is acceptable.
oh, btw, my last reading was 143/79. he tells me he wants more readings in the 120s/70s.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: I take 3 Blood Pressure Meds

You are being overmedicated. Getting a high dose of a Brand Name beta-blocker, ACE inhibitor, and calcium channel blocker with no prescription for a generic diuretic is the work of a doctor whose head is firmly implanted up a dark orifice owned by a pharmacuetical cabal...he must get some good freebie trips.

The way to deal with poor results from a drug should NOT be to keep prescribing more and more of the same thing. And with ALL this junk, to still get systolics over 140 is just nuts.

The high dose calcium channel blocker could definitely be the cause of irritabitility, insomnia, and panic...I got the same from amlodipine.

If I were you, I would demand that he start at ground zero again: first try just hydrochlorothiazide (maybe 25 or 50 mg) for a month, if control is no good add an ACE inhibitor like ramipril (Altace). Or else do the Altace and HCTZ to start. If you can take these two and get 140/90, tell him that you can live with it. If he starts the "stroke tomorrow" talk, tell him you'll outlive him!

You have my sympathy...any chance of getting a new doctor?

Last edited by Lenin; 07-18-2005 at 06:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I'm with Lenin, you are being overmedicated to not have any better control than that. I also think you should start over with different meds. Be careful with the Toprol though, it is a beta blocker and you need to gradually reduce dosage of that one and NOT quit it cold turkey.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom is taking taking 3 bp meds with poor results as well. She takes 240ms of verapamil, 10mgs torsemide and .01mgs of clonidine 6x daily. Her bp is 150/85 of something.

I feel she needs a new dr but she wont switch.She is diabetic and is allergic o acei and arbs. She also took toprol xl 200mgs but stopped bcuz of problems.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wow lane,
that's an esoteric medication routine.

It is too bad that she is allergic to ACEI's and ARB's. How so? Angioedema?

I am very UN-versed in the effects of clonidine but .1 mg. x 6 seems a lot and that it's really a central nervous system drug, VERY different from the other BP meds. Torsemide is a VERY potent diuretic.
IF clonidine doesn't touch the RENIN-angiotensin route, then that might explain her poor results unless she is like me, a class a salt-sensitive!

Clonidine should be taken with care with verapamil OR Toprol...gosh, tough sledding!

Do you think she would be happy trying atenolol or do you fear a repeat of whatever trouble she had with Toprol? I'm thinking atenolol and thiazide or the loop diuretic she's taking now.

If it really turns out that she is allergic to ACEI's, ARB's AND beta blockers it's really tough to get hold of any RENIN driven hypertension.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-20-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

That is an awful lot of clonidine, she should be seeing better results that what she is getting with that dose. I think it is acutally .1 mg, I don't think it comes in anything smaller than that. Most common dosing ranges from .2 to .6 mg per day, so she is at the upper limit of normal dosing. I remember the first time I took .2mg. I could barely move!

I personally found that some combinations of bp meds actually raised my bp. I think both of you could really benefit from starting over in the search for a working drug combo.

Does your Mom watch her weight and salt?

Old 07-19-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Mgray,yes my mom had blood work done and her sodium was superb. As a matter of fact every thing was great except her calcium levels. She has lost 20 lbs since summer started and walks everyday.

You are right, the clonidine is 0.1 6x daily. Today her bp was 150/89. I am in the process of trying to find her another dr.She has health insurance and we're getting a list from them of the drs that accept her insurance card.

Will keep you posted. Thanx for the help.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
(female)

stars13 HB User

I too am new to this board, and i certainly can't give you the educated answers that mgraylorn and lenin can. But i can tell you my experience with both dynacirc cr and toprel xl.

I had never had anxiety or depression until the last 2 years or so . Since i also went into full menopause at about the same time, i thought that the feelings of anxiety were because of that. I spoke to my gyny about it thinking that hrt might give me some relief, but she was totally against my taking hrt. She was not convinced that menopause was the reason for my anxiety and did not want to put me on hormones.

And then last summer, i was so bad, always fearful of anything and everything. It was awful. I finally asked my dr. for xanax which i took sparingly, but did find some relief from it. My bp meds have been changed many times because i tend to have side effects from most of them. but about 2 yrs ago my dr. added dynacirc to my benicar. I had many complaints while on the dynacirc, back ache/ joint ache/ feet cramps among many. He took me off it for awhile and then my bp went sky high so he put me back on it again.

I lose track of how long i was on it, but again all the body aches started up . So he took me off the dynacirc and put me on toprol xl. This was just a few months ago.

Meanwhile, all through this time i was still anxious, depressed, just never feeling well. It wasn't until i found this forum that i learned that these meds could be THE CAUSE OF MY ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION. When my dr. first gave me the toporl samples to try, i didn't take them. I was afraid after reading how it affected some people. but of course my bp went up just on the benicar hct alone. So i told him of my fears and he told me it was such a small dosage, 25 mg that it wouldn't bother me, in fact he said that this med was used to treat anxiety.

well, i took it a week or two and bp didn't go down enough so he upped it to 50 mg. After taking that for about a week, all of a sudden i was so tired i could hardly maneauver. It was terrible, and still i was so anxious.

I came back on this board and read some more. and then i talked to lenin, mgraylorn and others . I decided i had enough. I called my dr. and told him how rotton i felt and that i wanted off of the beta blockers all together.

I weaned off of them { at the advise of mgraylorn} and then for awhile i tried just taking my benicar and a xanax but it wasn't enough to keep my pressure down after a few weeks. So 2 weeks ago I started taking cardezem LA with my benicar htc. So far, barring some slight puffiness in my fingers and toes, i'm feeling soooo much better. I guess i've been off of the beta blockers for a month or so and the anxiety/depression has disappeared. I still have moments of anxiety over things i might be worring about, but that feeling that i was living in a black tunnel, constantly on edge, afraid of everything is gone.And my bp has been the best it ever was on meds. I've been averageing 123/72in am and 109/68 in pm.

I'm so grateful for all the help i've recieved here. I hope someday to be able to help others. I'm sure if you keep reading and learning of others experiences you will find help too.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane,

Most HMO's have online sites that list all the doctors in their plan by specialty. No need to wait til they mail you a booklet!

Old 07-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
(female)

indelibleroses HB User

i just want to thank all of you for your input on my problem.
i called my doctor yesterday, he was not in, so the doc on call was supposed to call me back, never did. i called again today and i'm waiting for my doctor to call me re: the dynacirc. i noticed the changes after i started it, but now after reading all your messages, perhaps i was never on the proper bp meds. i'll let you all know what he says when he calls today. thanks again.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Stars, I am taking a form of cardezem (tiazac) and an ACEI. They seem to work well for me and I don't have swelling from the calcium channel blocker. The variants of dilitzem seem to have less of a swelling side effect than Norvasc. Your numbers are really good, hope this combo continues to work well for you.

I started out right where you are, poorly controlled blood pressure and terrible side effects. I started reading everything I could find on the web on blood pressure meds. I also found this blood pressure forum and read all the posts. There are some good and knowledgeable people who post, providing information they've read and personal experiences. It really helped me a lot. I am fortunate to have a doctor I like and whom I think is pretty good. Even so, I have learned a LOT more here than I have just from her medical advice. Its comforting to read about other people's experiences to see that I am not alone with my hypertension meds problems, and to read about what worked for others to get to blood pressure control with no or minimum side effects. It seems like some doctors try to scare you into submission to take meds that aren't right for you. Your best defense is to educate yourself on your medical condition and the drugs you take. I count this forum as an invaluable resourse in my continuing medical education.

Closed Thread