It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

meblonde HB User
Hi I am new. I want off bp meds. ??

Hi this is my first post. I have read a few of the post in here and it sounds like a lot of you know what you are talking about. I am currently on altace 10 mag. have been for 2 years. it never really brought my bp down. then I went to another doc he put me on Diovan 80 mag. along with the altace. That was 6 months ago. when I go into the doc office my bp is a little high. 140/90 but when I am home it is very low 98/52 I have lost 20 poinds and stop drinking caffine and alcohol. I think I am ready to get off these pills. How do I go about it. Doc seems to like to keep people on them. Should I cut back or stop totally. I have noticed I wake up with a dull head ache now. And it goes away on it's own after I get out of bed. I'm thinking maybe my pb is going way to low when I'm sleeping causing this head ache. Any suggestion??

Old 07-19-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Hi I am new. I want off bp meds. ??

I know nothing about the particular medications you are on, so can't be of much help, but I just wanted to welcome you to the HealthBoards. None of us are medical professionals, but there seems to be someone who can share their experience on just about any health-related topic, so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to present their opinion. In the meantime, feel free to read more of the other threads.

Have you kept a written record of your home readings and taken that back with you to the doctor? Maybe you have a bit of "white coat syndrome," where your readings are higher in the doctor's office due to stress. If your home readings are that low regularly, I would think it is time to at least reduce the amount. If your doctor pays any attention to your home readings at all, I'd think he'd want to do so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

First of all, if altace doesn't lower your blood pressure, then why does the doctor insist you still take it? You should be trying other meds, not adding stuff if something doesn't work.

You should definately keep a record of your home readings and take them in to the doctor when you go. If your relaxed home readings average in the 90s/50s, you don't need as much medication as you are taking, and maybe none at all. It sounds like you have "white coat", meaning a higher reading in the doctor's office due to anxiety than your normal reading. The loss of weight plus giving up caffiene and alcohol may have been enough to lower your blood pressure to non hypertensive levels.

Altace is an ACEI and Diovan is an ARB. Neither one of them need to be weaned. I'd say first stop the Altace since you said it does nothing for you. Monitor your blood pressure at home when you stop taking this med. It may take a few days to a week to get it all out of your system. If your average resting blood pressure stays below 120/80, then start cutting back or even quitting the Diovan. Monitor your home blood pressure. If you stop taking both these drugs and your bp remains below 120/80, you don't need meds. Really you are probably OK if it stays below 130/85. If you aren't already, you might try throwing in some exercise and watch your salt and see if that lowers your blood pressure a bit more when you are unmedicated or at reduced medication.

I'm not a doctor, and this advise presupposes you aren't diabetic, or have some other illness that requires you take these drugs. But if it were me, and my only problem was hypertension, this is what I would try.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
(female)

meblonde HB User
Thumbs up Re: Hi I am new. I want off bp meds. ??

Thank you Senior I am going to stop the altace. I already do wal 2 miles every am before work. And I only have hypertention. Nothing else. I know I have the white coat problem. Because I can feel my nerves start to go active everytime I think about going to the doc. I'm so afraid my bp will me high. I make it high. I am going to take my monitor in with me. and show him all the reading I have at home. I really don't think I need bp pills anymore. But I was a little afraid of to just stop taking them. But I am going to take your GOOD advice and start with the altace. and then the other.. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
(female)

meblonde HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
I know nothing about the particular medications you are on, so can't be of much help, but I just wanted to welcome you to the HealthBoards. None of us are medical professionals, but there seems to be someone who can share their experience on just about any health-related topic, so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to present their opinion. In the meantime, feel free to read more of the other threads.

Have you kept a written record of your home readings and taken that back with you to the doctor? Maybe you have a bit of "white coat syndrome," where your readings are higher in the doctor's office due to stress. If your home readings are that low regularly, I would think it is time to at least reduce the amount. If your doctor pays any attention to your home readings at all, I'd think he'd want to do so.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
(female)

meblonde HB User

Thank You for the warm welcome. I think there are alot of nice and very helpfull people in here. I know that you are not doctors but it is nice to hear what other experiance so to help with what direction to go in.
Thanks again..!!!

Old 07-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

southbreeze HB User
Lightbulb Re: Hi I am new. I want off bp meds. ??

Hi, all! I'm new to Healthboards. I'm looking around for help/advice. My husband has been On Lipitor, Hyzaar, & a beta-blocker for some years, after having an angioplasty procedure. He has a MAJOR insomnia problem (never gets a good nights sleep unless he takes Ambien.) Also has muscle pain; weakness, etc. He's actually worse off now than he was before all the meds & 'treatment'. Don't know if a different Dr. would be of help. He doesn't trust any of them, & I can see why! Anyone else out there with like problems, & what was your solution?? Thanks all! Will watch & be in touch.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Every beta blocker my mother have ever taken caused insomnia for me, not to mention bad dreams.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Lipitor, Hyzaar and beta blockers each can all cause the side effects you mention. Does your husband see a cardiologist? He might try a different drug in each of those drug classes, i.e different cholesteral drug, different beta blocker, different ARB and diuretic combo, to see if his symptoms improve.

Closed Thread