It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Clonidine ? - mgreylorn

I just recently weaned off clonidine and am noticing a rather large increase in my diastolic pressure. My systolic is a bit higher but not a concern.
Ave before weaning - 125/70 after 136/90

I was wondering if you noticed anything like that after clonidine weaning.

Cass

Old 07-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Clonidine ? - mgreylorn

No I didn't. Both systolic and diastolic have come up some, but now seem to be going back down a bit. Their relative ratio has remained about the same I think. My biggest change has been in pulse. Before it was mostly in the 60s and low 70s and now it is mostly in the upper 70s and 80s.

For me the systolic has always been more of a problem than the diastolic though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
(female)

las7715 HB User

Hi everybody - I am still taking .1mg Clonidine twice a day. It does the trick as far as lowering BP but between the doses, like late afternoon, I get a spike...then when I take my second dose it starts to go down again. Has anyone tried the patch form of Clonidine and found it more effective, as far as avoiding those spikes? Sorry I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the original question on this post.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Thanks mgreylorn,
I really had some high spikes today so I took .1 mg of clonidine. Very depressing, weaning off these meds.
Cass

las,
Posting here is fine.
I had the same problem with clonidine. I only took it once a day (at night) and it did control my BP most of the day but several hours before teh next dose it would go back up. I didn't like the yoyo effect and it caused insomnia and depression. I had considered asking about the patch but the side effects at night are bad enough.
Cass

Old 07-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom takes clonidine .1 6x daily. she doesn't suffer insomnia or depression, but it does not lower her bp very well. Her main complaint is it makes her very tired. She also gets spikes between dosages.

She wants off the drug, but her dr won't help her wean, instead he added atenolol. She did not want to take a beta blocker.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Clonidine and beta blockers should not be taken together unless under very strict doctor's supervision. You can look it up anywhere you find information about drug interactions. Your mom really needs a new doctor, since this one doesn't know what he is doing.

I did the clonidine patch (Catapres) for a while. For me it didn't work quite as well as the pills, but I didn't get the end of dose increase while on the patch. The patch really does level out the dose, since it doses you just a bit constantly. The reason I quit the patch was that I found it a bit itchy (but I have very sensitive skin - lots of things make me itch), but more importantly for vanity reasons. I was going on a summer vacation with some old friends and we were going to do lots of swimming and canoeing and I didn't want to be sporting a big ugly white patch on my arm.

I'd recommend trying the patch.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
I did the clonidine patch (Catapres) for a while. For me it didn't work quite as well as the pills, but I didn't get the end of dose increase while on the patch. The patch really does level out the dose, since it doses you just a bit constantly. The reason I quit the patch was that I found it a bit itchy (but I have very sensitive skin - lots of things make me itch), but more importantly for vanity reasons. I was going on a summer vacation with some old friends and we were going to do lots of swimming and canoeing and I didn't want to be sporting a big ugly white patch on my arm.

I'd recommend trying the patch.
Do you know if it just comes in one strength and how long does one patch last? Also, when you take it off does it quit working right away?
I don't care if it covers my whole body if it will keep my BP from going from99/65 - 197/112 in one day!
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 07-23-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I believe it comes in 1 mg, 2 mg and 3 mg patches. You can also use more than one patch at a time if needed. The patch lasts for 1 week, then you replace it on some other part of your body. For instance I'd put it on one arm one week and the other arm next week. There is a small square patch with the medicine that is skin colored that you apply. I had problems with a corner wanting to peel up after a day or so, so I would have to apply the larger round white sticky patch (unmedicated) over it. If they'd make the medicated patch round, this would help avoid peel up, but they don't. Because it is absorbed slowly through the skin, it may take a day or so for the first patch to reach full effectiveness. After that, with regular weekly replacement there is no lag. If you quit and did not put on a new patch, it would probably take a day or so to get all out of your system. I honestly don't know if there are withdrawal issues with the patch. I don't remember reading any. Since I knew I needed more blood pressure control, I went straight from the 2 mg patch to the pills.

The recommended location for the patch is the upper arm, like where you would get a shot. There are other places you could put it, but you apparently should not put it someplace were you have a lot of body fat, like your rear end.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 07-25-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
(female)

las7715 HB User

What about exercising with a patch? I work up a pretty good sweat when I work out and was wondering if that would dilute or hurt it in anyway? OR showering for that matter...I guess it's waterproof, as far as moisture coming from the outside?

Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

As long as it stays stuck on your arm, its fine. Showering was not a problem. I believe swimming is OK too, so long as it stays stuck. You might want to be sure to use the stick on cover patch, which covers the whole medicated patch. I did not have trouble with that outer patch peeling up. I don't think you generate a lot of sweat from the outside of your arm, not like from the scalp or chest area.

Closed Thread