It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
(male)

MixedSignals200 HB User
Scared A Little

Hello my names adam and i just found my blood pressure not too good from what i read.

I cant explain this im only 22 and i am 5'8 and i weigh 195 and my diastolic was low and my systolic was 142 at one point and now it seems to stay around 138 and 133 and in between.

A few months back i tested it many times it was nalways below normal.I always tested cuz my dad would go to drug store and they had a machine there for it.My first thought was the machine was malfuctioned and i tryed another and it confirmed what i feared.

I dont know how this happened i have had a lot of stress last year with an HIV scare that landed me in a crisis center and my doctors abandoned me.

i was with a prostitute who performed oral with a condom and i became sick after and thought i caught hiv and tested out to 6 months negative and within those 6 months i was under extreme stress and anxiety.

and even when i was stressing with fear i tested my bp and it remained low.So why is it so high now i dont understand.

im afraid to visit my doctor becuase i dont have insurance and she went to another practice and hates me for what happened last year.

I dont know what to do i fear im as good as dead.

My dad has high blood pressure but didnt know till he was 45.

im stressing so bad right now and had no where to turn am i screwed do i need meds or is this just coincedence.

i so drink alot of caffeine if that makes a diffrence.

diastolic was low and systolic high i just done get it.

can someone help me here thanks im only 22 so its puzzling the hell out of me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Scared A Little

Welcome to the HealthBoards! You'll find a lot of helpful people here. Remember, none of us are medical professionals, but we share the information we learn and our own experiences.

From what you say, you only had one reading that went into the hypertensive range, the 142. The other readings were considered pre-hypertensive, which basically means, "Okay, guy, you need to make some life changes, because it is getting up there." It doesn't necessarily mean medication, and unless you are diabetic or have other serious risk factors, I'd avoid medication until you give yourself a good heartfelt try at making lifestyle changes. So here are my recommendations:

1. Relax! Right now your BP readings may be staying up higher than they would be otherwise because you are stressing over it. See the "Please join me in this experiment" for details on a way to help you relax. Prayer and meditation are other alternatives.

2. Lose weight. Losing about 35 pounds would likely drop your blood pressure quite a bit. Depending upon your frame size and muscle mass, 45 pounds might be even better. Nothing other than medications seems to drop BP as much as weight loss.

3. Eat your vegetables and fruits. Study after study has shown a relationship between consumption of these foods and lower BP. Your best bets are the lower calorie ones like carrots, spinach, celery, tomatoes, summer squash, mustard greens, bell peppers. You should have about eight servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

Good luck!

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 07-25-2005 at 02:31 PM. Reason: I read his weight wrong

Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

also it is normal to have your bp flutuate, so your top number was 130's and bottom was what now? if you are in the ranges of 130' over 70's and 80 you should be alright that is not high at all, but you said you are used to low blood pressure, which may mean a genetic dispostion to low pressure and being used to that are you fretting because now your pressure is normal or slightly above?

the top number tells you what the pressure is as the heart beats or pushes the blood through the vessels, the bottom number is the pressure exerted against the vessels with the heart at rest.

that is how it was explained to me, that could explain the wide differences between the two numbers. if you are nervous then the top number may be near normal and the vessels are constricted due to adrenalin from the stress, but only guessing here.

blood pressure is a curious thing you can have high pressure and the doctor will be like we don't know why 95 percent of those with it don't have any disease or condition they know of that causes it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a malfunction of the hypothalmus or somewhere in the brain getting the message that the pressure is too low when it is not, or the barameters (receptors)in the heart are not getting sufficient blood or oxygen and interprets that as too low pressure and sending signals to the brain to up the adrenaline or something,, or the kidneys think the pressure is too low, maybe a thinned artery or something and release hormones that cause constrition of vessels that are already constricted enough.

I mean the list is endless. it would be good if you could go to a health department to get a free doctor check up for your pressure, or apply for medicaid, if you don't qualify I am sure the health department can assist you in finding a doctor who will take you.

RR

Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

and by the way lifestyle changes can help dramatically too.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, I missed your question about the coffee. Yes, some people are highly affected by caffeine, even one cup can send their BP shooting up. Other people are little affected by it. You'll just have to try going without it for a day or two and check your own pressure on that one.

It is pretty common to have your systolic shoot up a lot more than diastolic when you are nervous or upset. When I get really uptight, the difference between my systolic and diastolic has been as much as 83 points.

When you say your readings were below normal before, even when you were uptight, what kind of readings are we talking about?

Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
(male)

MixedSignals200 HB User

So your saying i bassicaly dont have high blood pressure but im heading that way.Ok i got it.

Im gonna do something some may say is nuts but when i put my mind to it im gonna do it.

Im going to the store and getting two bags of carrots and some plum tomatoes as well as some nuts for snacking unsalted and plenty of water.

and for one month that is all im gonna eat.

well see what happens then.

alot has changed from my fear of hiv i had last year as i became very sick for 2 months with anxiety and stress.I think i messed up my body preety bad with all of it and i dont want medication so im gonna do whatever i can to fix this before it gets out of hand.

i have had alot of drinking issues as well i have drank about 8 beers a week usually andbinged once in awhile.

i also eat alot og high sodium foods such as frozen burritos etc.

things are gonna change no more alchohol is first.

1 month of just vegetables.

can i eat apples and green grapes as well or does the suger in them affect my bp as well.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eating just vegetables isn't the way to go, either. And it is better to have a variety of vegetables and fruits, rather than limiting yourself to just a few. But the majority of people in the US, at least, eat too few fruits/vegetables on a daily basis. Just make sure you eat enough fruits and vegetables within a balanced diet. When you eat vegetables, a bit of fat should be included in that meal, too, as the fat helps your body to absorb the nutrients in the vegetables. A bit of low-fat (but not no-fat) salad dressing would be fine. Or eating nuts in the same meal would do the trick, as they have a lot of fat.

Also, don't try to lose weight too fast. One or two pounds a week is a far more healthy approach than trying to lose it all in a few months. After all, you didn't gain it all in just a few months, did you? Just try to find a healthy diet you can live with long-term.

I'd suggest you take a good look at the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet, usually referred to as the DASH diet. Here is a link to a 2000 calorie diet:

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/apr97/Dash.htm

You might do a web search for other examples of the DASH diet.

Cutting sodium helps some people, but not all. But even those people who aren't salt-sensitive shouldn't go overboard with it.

One or two drinks a day has only a modest affect on raising blood pressure, but if you are going to try to lose weight, it might be a good time to give that up for a while. Or allow yourself a couple on the weekend and give up a couple servings of breads/cereals on those days to make up for it. Just no binge drinking, as that is bad for heart health in general, not just blood pressure.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
(male)

MixedSignals200 HB User

Before i was never tense at all at any timei had no worries.Whats funny is right when i sat at the machine to test bp i felt a overwhelming since of fear for no apparent reason.

Like u know when someone jumps out at you.Like that it weird and i have no reason to be scared i feel anxiety it just hits me when i sat at the bp machine thing.

the second time i did it it dropped nearly 7 points from 138 to 131 as i relaxed myself.I did it 10 times over and the readings never went below 130.

I used to be systolics around 121 and diastolic was below normal.

now its scaring me so the more i test the more scared i am of the result.

i think what happened did this to me in the form of easily being startled and i do stress alot especially when i talk to people about what bothers me.

for example tonight i approached my female cousin in her room for a piece of tissue and one of her arrogant friends decided for no reason to open her mouth and say.

get out of her room becuase she cant stand me and called me fat.And told me that i look like im 12 and i was likeok.

what was that all about becuase last time i seen her she was as nice as a flower to me.

that **** happens to me everyday i gotta deal with ********.

My job sucks im depressed and i had a bad scare last year i truly havent gotten over and now this.I dont want high blood pressure and i just want this to go away.

today i had 2000 grms of sodium or more.

i didnt realise that the 4 burritos i ate carried 500mg per serving.Then for dinner i ate a pork chop.

i been drinking water all day tho but i didnt realise the burritos had that much till i looked a few minutes ago.

i just want to end this fast and my brother in law for 1 month just ate fruit becuase my sister left him he was heavyset and he lost massive weight.

of course i think he was a coke head too lol.

but i just want to drop these pounds fast and drop the bp as well.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Losing the weight with as unbalanced a diet as you say, and as quickly as you indicate, will likely cause you more health problems. You'll get your blood chemicals further out of whack. Lack of iron will cause anemia. Lack of other nutrients will cause additional problems. Bad choice. Take a few deep breaths, hold your head high, and approach this with reason, not just emotion. (Ignore your cousin's friend. Either she has a bad case of PMS or someone has probably recently insulted her, so now she thinks she has to take it out on someone else.) You can change your diet and lose weight the right way. Then you'd avoid feeling lousy, as you likely would with a totally unbalanced diet. So it takes a little longer? You're only 22. Think of the great shape you'll be and how good you'll feel a year from now if you do it right. And in the meantime, you'll have found a diet you can stay with for life, though you'll be able to add a few more calories back after you've lost the weight, especially if you keep exercising.

How much exercise are you getting? If you have been something of a couch potato, building up some muscles at the same time you are losing weight will help you lose fat, not muscle and will give you a more attractive shape. If you can't afford to go to a gym, do exercises at home. You can find all kinds of help on the web in getting started. Or even just taking long, brisk walks or jogging will help tremendously. More exercise will also help relax you.

And don't forget, take some deep breaths before you take your blood pressure next time if you feel you are tensing up.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:22 PM   #10
(male)

MixedSignals200 HB User

ok i will do.

i usually dont exercise at all.I either work where i sit in a chair or im home watching tv in bed or the only time i exercise is when i walk to the bathroom lol or out to the car.

i know its not good but im lazy as hell.

i really dont look my weight tho its amazing some people say becuase i look like i weigh 170 and people are amazed i weigh more cuz the way im built.

i look like i have muscle.

but i would love to just have real muscle.

once u take the shirt off shur enough i got tittys lol.

thanks again guys

Old 07-26-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

If you lose weight too fast your body changes its metabolism since it reacts to you starving yourself. The result is that it is even harder to lose weight, and when you stop dieting you gain it all back. Your best bet is a sensible balanced diet with a goal of no more than 2 pounds of weight loss per week. Look at the DASH diet, it is a good one. Try to avoid foods high in salt. Drinking lots of coffee may also contribute to raised blood pressure. For me, one cup of tea in the morning raised my blood pressure 10 points for many hours.

I really think most of your problem is stress. Since your diastolic stays low and the top or systolic number goes up, that indicates stress reaction. Yes, if you feel stressed when you take your blood pressure, it will increase your blood pressure. A lot of us deal with increased readings from being stressed about taking our blood pressure.

Something else that was touched on is exercise. You don't have to join a gym. Just walking for 30 minutes 5 or more days a week is good. You can jog around your block or up and down the block for 30 minutes. You can also use canned goods for weights if you want to do some weight lifting. When I was your age it was very easy for me to lose weight just by jogging around the block, doing situps and stretches, and watching my portion sizes. That will probably be true for you too. And you will be helping your blood pressure to boot!

Closed Thread