It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User
Is Norvasc Hurting me more than helping?

I'm going a little nuts here. I just had bypass and was put on Norvasc in the hospital. I'm wondering whether it is causing so many of my problems now. I have fatigue, aches and pains around the shoulders and back, constipation and nausea, just a general unwell feeling. I went to the cardio today and complained about it but he didn't want to take me off the drug because it is controlling my blood pressure well. But I am miserable!
I am also taking Vytorin for cholestorol, a small amount of a beta blocker for BP too and glucotrol for blood sugar.
Quite a mix! But I have heard many more complaints about the Norvasc than anything else. Do you all think this may be what ails me?
The cardio just suggested getting me into cardio rehab to strengthen my heart and make me feel better. I am sorry that I didn't insist getting off the Norvasc and trying something else.
I also take Diovan which protects the kidneys but has proven not to help my blood pressure.
Maybe I am just on too many meds? Any help would be appreciated. I go to my internist on Friday and want her input. I wonder whether it's a good idea to go against my cardio's recommendations but I don't feel well. I wonder what else they could give me for my heart and BP?

Oh and I forgot to tell him I am having swelling in BOTH of my ankles and feet, not just the leg where the vein was removed to use for bypass. I probably should just maje another appointment, you think? Or should I just go with my internist's recommendations on Friday? I get confused with all these doctors!

Last edited by Cher2005; 07-27-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
(female)

Mellie310 HB User
Re: Is Norvasc Hurting me more than helping?

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now's my chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was put on Norvasc in June of last year. I had one spike one night and ended up in a panic attack which in turn raised my bp even more and wound up at the hospital. Dr. there tells me that I don't need bp meds, that it was an isolated incident caused by many factors that I won't go into. He gave me a very mild anti-hypertensive drug that night, and when I left the hospital my diastolic # was 56. So I called my dr. the next morning and told him about it, he winds up putting me of Lisinopril AND Norvasc. Well...........the NORVASC caused me to be extremely fatigued, caused severe depression, nausea, I felt mean and hateful and had constant feelings of impending doom. PLUS, my feet and ankles were constantly swollen, and I mean SWOLLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been off that sickening drug for 2 weeks now, have seen NO change in my bp, it's still waaaaaaaaay too low, but I cannot tell you how NICE it is to NOT have all those "mental" feelings, and all that fatigued. I am still tired a lot, but not as badly and it's now due to my low bp. Plus, now when I look at my feet and ankles I can see bones and veins, not puffy, stretched out skin. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt you'll find many people on this board who will have anything good to say about that drug. I sure didn't.

I'm not dr., so I will not advise you in any way, and I'm not a senior member of this board, do not have the experience that the others do, but I would definitely talk to your dr. about it.

Good luck,

Mellie

Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Why not do a search on norvasc. My mom took it for a short while(about a month) and it did control her bp very well.However, she also had constant back pain, weight gain and an ill, not well feeling.

She got off the norvasc and starting felling better. Bcuz you had by-pass surgery, i would not stop any meds w/o your dr's advice. Try to convince him/her to try something else.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Hateful, Hateful drug...I think the very WORST of the BP meds!

Old 07-28-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher2005
Oh and I forgot to tell him I am having swelling in BOTH of my ankles and feet, not just the leg where the vein was removed to use for bypass.
This is the most common side-effect for Norvasc. The only effective way to cure this problem is to stop the drug.

Pal

Old 07-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
(female)

Sandra49 HB User

I take Novasc and have absolutely no problems, my Bp is stable, and I have no side effects. A good friend who is an Internist recommended that I take it, she said the drug is one of the older drugs for Bp and consequently most of the long term side effects have been revealed. Sorry some of you have had side effects. But I am very pleased with it.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thank you for all your input. I have started cutting the pill in half which is difficult because its not scored for some reason. I am just going to wean off of it. The constipation and nausea and swelling is becoming too much for me to take! Both of my feet and ankles are swollen tonight.
I go to the internist tomorrow and will ask her what else I can add instead. My BP is going up in the last few days anyway so it's no longer doing that great a job.
Thats the story with me. New drugs control so well for a month or two and then I seem to become accustomed to the drug and it no longer works well. Happened with diovan too.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Cher,
The body uses lots of feedback mechanisms and alternate routes to regulate blood pressure. Often the drug seems to work well at first and then the body reroutes the chemical responses and you're stuck with a drug that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.
It happens easily and often with the ACE inhibitors.

I didn't think Norvasc did much, if anything, for my BP from the get-go.
I don't think you need to wean from it. If both legs are swelling from it, I;d go cold turkey on it...I'm sure all you'll feel is BETTER!

Last edited by Lenin; 07-29-2005 at 05:22 AM.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

There are other calcium channel blockers that you could use instead which might not give you the same side effects. I take a form of diltiazem (cardizem, tiazac) and have minor side effects (mild constipation, sometimes pounding but not fast heart beat). Diltiazem seems to be a lot better tollerated than amlopidine (norvasc), based on comments to this forum.

I'd ask the doctor to change your calcium channel blocker first and see if that takes care of the problems.

I've gone to a reduced carbohydrate and fats, and high vegetables and fruits diet to lose weight and keep it off. That diet, coupled with the tiazac has resulted in a tendency to consipation, even though I get a lot of bulk with fruits and vegetables. I've found the best solution is that of your grandparents - prunes and other dried fruit! I eat 6 prunes in the morning and 5 dried apricots at night and have no problem with regularity. The prunes and apricots worked much better than bulk laxatives I tried. I worried a bit that the increased calories from all that fruit would increase my weight, but if anything it has helped me lose weight.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thanks for all your help! Internist put me on cardizem today. Hope it will work better. She told me to take tablet form of metamusial twice a day for constipation. I also went out and bought dried prunes and prune juice. I need to get regualr fast, it's making me nauseus now. Feeling pretty miserable with the swollen feet and bad tummy.
No more Norvasc! Hope the cardizem works well. I asked her to take me off calcium channel blockers all together, but she says I need them after heart surgery along with a beta blocker.

Last edited by Cher2005; 07-29-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

I picked up my Cardizem . 280 mg. great big giant capsules... egads I will choke trying to get these down. If it's not one thing it;s another!
I read the side effects that came with and they said constipation and swollen feet and ankles. Wait a minute! Aren't I back to square one??? Please let me know if you take carizem and how you do on it??
My ankles and feet are very swollen this afternoon after just 1/2 Norvasc this morning. Maybe it takes awhile to get out of your system? I hope this misery ends soon and start to feel better. I'm honestly not a complainer and I don't like complaining about pills, etc. but this has been quite a spell since the surgery.
To think I have to have my Carotids done next and soon. Joy!

Old 07-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher2005
I picked up my Cardizem . 280 mg. great big giant capsules... egads I will choke trying to get these down. If it's not one thing it;s another!
I read the side effects that came with and they said constipation and swollen feet and ankles. Wait a minute! Aren't I back to square one??? Please let me know if you take carizem and how you do on it??
My ankles and feet are very swollen this afternoon after just 1/2 Norvasc this morning. Maybe it takes awhile to get out of your system? I hope this misery ends soon and start to feel better. I'm honestly not a complainer and I don't like complaining about pills, etc. but this has been quite a spell since the surgery.
To think I have to have my Carotids done next and soon. Joy!
Cardizem (diltiazem) was kind to me. I took it for several years after a very bad experence with Norvasc (something like what Lenin experenced). It made me afraid to take another CCB but to me the difference between the two was remarkable. Norvasc made me very anxious and nervous and my BP actually went up. Diltiazem made me feel very calm and gave me good BP control. I didn't have any swelling with either.
I found it interesting that your doc says you need both a Beta blocker and a CCB. I have been asking to get back on diltiaxzem for about a year but my doc wont let me BECAUSE I take a small amount of beta blocker
I hope you do as well on Cardiazem as I did. Only mildly annoying side effects such as greylorn mentioned.
good Luck
Cass

Old 07-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

I have decided to try this on my own and just take the beta blocker for a couple of days and see how my BP does. It's been going up anyway even with the norvast. I just hate the thought of taking those huge, horse sized cartia pills. I just want to feel better. I am also taking 80 mg. of diovan at night. I want to see how things go. If my BP goes up I will have to take the Cartia. Truthfully I think they have me on too many meds. anyway. I'm feeling like a zombie!
AM:
Metoprolol
Glucotrol 7.5 XL

PM
Metoprolol
Vytorin 40/10
Diovan 80
Aspirin 325

Old 07-31-2005, 07:13 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Cher,

If you are having more problems with your BP during the day, you might want to take the Diovan in the AM. It has a relatively short half-life and is probably not going to give much control beyond 12 hours - especially with an 80 mg dose.

Pal

Old 07-31-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thanks Pal. I was thinking about doing that! I also have diovan with a water pill added so I may try that in the morning and the plain one at night.
I am already feeling better without the norvasc. Feet were a lot less swollen yesterday.
Blood pressure yesterday was very good. 120's/60's. I'll see how it goes today.

Closed Thread