It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 02:36 AM   #1
(female)

relskid HB User
shock...

i hope this is the right section to be posting this...

well, here's the story:

almost a year ago, i was in the kitchen, grabbing god knows what out of the fridge. i somehow smashed a couple of my fingers in the door, as i was shutting it. i thought, "aw **it that hurt. 'better get some ice." so i walked to the other side of the kitchen, to grab a plastic sandwich bag to put some ice in. i didn't think much of it, because i had smashed my fingers many a time before, and didn't see a major threat in it.

anywho, by the time i reached the drawer with the sandwich bags, i had started to feel dizzy. i was thinking, "wow, this is weird..." but managed to grab the bag. as i started to walk back to the fridge to get some ice, i felt incredibly nauseous, so i leaned against the kitchen counter and stared at my feet, trying to steady myself.

for a few seconds, i started to feel a little better, so i opened the fridge to get the ice (i was determined). as i grabbed a handful of ice, the dizziness kicked back in, and i suddenly blacked out and fell to the ground. when i came to (i was only out for a few seconds) my legs felt like jello, and i could barely move. my brother saw me on the ground and asked if i was ok. i told him to get our parents, which he did, and when they came, i told them that i had hurt my hand. they asked, how, and i told them that i smashed it in the fridge door. they walked off and called me a drama queen.

after laying on the ground for about five minutes, i was able to get up, and lay on the couch for awhile.

also, a couple months after this, i was riding in the back seat of my friend's car (two door). when she parked, and pulled the seat up. as i was climbing out, the top of my knee had hit some medal hinge (or something... i really don't know) on the back of the seat. i felt that same extreme pain as the finger smashing, and soon the dizziness. by then, i was already out of the car. i didn't want to black out again, so i just leaned against the car, and stared at my feet again, until i was sure that the pain passed.

the question(s): was this shock? if not, what what was it? if so, is it really that easy to go into shock from everyday injuries such as these, or did i just hit a major nerve? also, should i call 911 if anything like this happens again?

thank you in advance to those who answer and help me.

ps i figured that this was the best section of the forum for this, because of the major low blood pressure factor that plays in shock...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: shock...

Sounds like shock or an extreme stress reaction. Some people faint at extreme pain, some faint at the sight of blood, or a dirty diaper (a former male boss of mine). I have a friend who passes out in the dentist chair, much to the consternation of the dentist and hygenist. I once almost passed out in a high school debate meet during my speech. I had the flu and while standing there I felt my head get dizzy, my ears roared and I felt nauseous.

I'm not sure what you should do about it. If it happens frequently, you might want to visit your doctor and see if there is any underlying medical problem.

Closed Thread