It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

cymric HB User
Info please-1st time Accupril user.

Hi,

Over the last 5 years I've gained alot of weight..am on a methadone program. 3 % of people on it suffer from heavy water weight gain and as a result my BP has gone up..I am also a smoker. (no good I know).

After a year of my BP going up and down when I would lose a little weight..my doctor finally put me on Apo-Triazide (50mg-25m tab..1/2 pill later raised to whole one), a diuretic with potassium protection. At first it worked..then not so well and my pressure rose..so she increased it from half a pill to a whole one.

Still wasn't doing the job.

A new doctor perscribed Accupril 10 mg because my BP remained high (my reg doc is gone for awhile). I'm reading one shouldn't combine ACE inhibiters with other potassium saving drugs..so why did he perscribe it...and how dangerous is taking the 2 together.

Anyway..I've had the Accupril in front of me for over a month now and for some reason am afraid to take them..why..not sure..but probably some sort of panic/stress situation going on. I know my BP is up..I can feel it..I'm also having palpitations daily. Guess the side-effects described freak me out a little bit. It probably seems odd that and ex drug addict has these fears...but I do.

Sometimes I think acess to all this knowlegde on the pc re:side effects, et al..although a blessing..also makes one more aware of stuff they normally wouldn't be. Ignorance is bliss they say..sometimes I get why...gone are the days I would swallow a pill without a second thought.

A good thing I guess.

What can I expect from combining these two drugs..or should I ust try the accupril alone first. Does anyone here take this combination of pills and if so how were the first days. How long before I get used to them..and are there any reactions that are normal the first couple of days. Any information.. insight..perspective..advice or what to expect would be much appreciated.

Hs anyone any info on Catapress or clonidine when used to control BP.

Thanks much
Cymric

P.S. Can anyone recommend a good BP combo that's worked for them? I know everyone is different..just looking for some like experiences is all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Info please-1st time Accupril user.

Apo-Triazide is a combination of a potassium sparing diuretic with the "regular" diuretic. Accupril is an ACE inhibitor. What I'm reading is that with the potassium sparing diuretic and the ACEI you could get too much potassium which would cause problems. This isn't an immediate problem, and may not be a problem at all, provided you don't take potassium supplements or consume large quantities of potassium rich foods. It does mean you should have regular blood tests to make sure you don't get too much potassium in your system. It would be better to take a regular diuretic with the ACEI rather than a potassium sparing one. I don't think though that you should be afraid to take the Accupril with your diuretic drugs, as long as you monitor it. You might find that taking the Accupril with the diuretic will sharply lower your blood pressure, so you may have a bit of dizziness right at first. ACEIs also make some people cough, so if you suddenly develop a dry cough without being sick or have allergies, it is probably the ACEI. Not life threatening, but could be annoying. As with any drug there is the risk of an allergic response, so if you feel your face or neck swelling or tightening, you should probably call the doctor.

Sounds like you have good blood pressure results when you can keep your weight down. Do you get regular exercise, even something as simple as walking for 30 minutes 5 days a week will help. If you could change over to eating more fruits and vegetables and whole grains, and less fats and refined carbohydrates that could help with weight loss. Do you watch your salt intake? That is another biggie that might help you with the blood pressure. I found caffeine raised my blood pressure by 10 points, so I've cut it out of my diet - maybe you might try that and see if it helps your blood pressure? And you already know you need to quit smoking.

I have used catapres the patch and clonidine the pill form. It are a system wide drug. It will bring down your blood pressure fast, and it is sometimes used to help people get through withdrawal. You probably don't want to take methadone and clonidine at the same time, but you should definately ask your doctor or pharmacist about that. I don't know if you have to stay on methadone or will eventually wean off of it, but I think it is also an addictive drug, so asking about using clonidine to help you wean off of it and help your blood pressure might be a good question to ask your doctor. If you do take clonidine you will have to ease off that drug too if you decide to quit. Stopping suddenly can cause rebound hypertension. I think this is truer for the pill form than the patch form, but am not sure.

I myself use a calcium channel blocker (a form of diltaizem) and and ACEI (captopril). Some people have problems with water retention with calcium channel blockers, especially the Norvasc brand, so for you they are probably not a good choice right now. I also got a terrible cough on a different ACEI, but have not had trouble with the one I'm taking currently.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #3
(female)

cymric HB User
Re: Info please-1st time Accupril user.

Thank you so much for th reply..it helps to talk to people who've had some experience. I know about the catapress and will definately ask the doctor about using it when the time comes to detox from the methadone. Good suggestion.

Youa re right of course about the watching what I eat and getting some daily exercise..it's time to make serious changes and walking will definately be one...as will cutting back on salt. I didn't think about coffee..but it's true..although I only drink a maximum of two cups a day..it does seems to stress me in the mornings. I'll switch to a decaf.

Have you ever had heart palpitations and if so what are they caused by..for awhile the magnesium helped them subside..now they seem to be back. I don't take any potassium..I do take magnesium..does that do anything when taking the Accupril.
Another good point is to try switching to a potassium sparing diuretic to a regular one..thanks for that tip too.

I guess today I'll start the accurpil..would it hurt to stop the Triazide and just take that? I don't want to get too dizzy.

I know I should be asking a doctor all this stuff.

Thanks again for your quick reply and be well
Cymric

Closed Thread