It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
Chlonidine...How fast does it work on those who use it?

Hi all!

I just took my BP 10 minutes ago...it was 150/105. I just finished lunch.

I took my BP meds after about 10 minutes and it dropped to 130/87 in 7 minutes.

For those who take the chlonidine, how long before it effects you....btw I'm waiting to get sleepy soon!

Old 08-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User
Re: Chlonidine...How fast does it work on those who use it?

My mom takes clonidine(6 x daily) and it usually lowers her bp within 15 mins. She has a new dr bcuz the clonidine and other meds are not lowering her bp enough. She still gets 16o's and 170's/ 85.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User

It makes me a heck of alot sleepy. I got through these spikes. I was very well for a while then all of a sudden it always spikes. So yes....it is very normal.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

It makes me sleepy too, but it also causes me insomnia. I know that sounds impossible but it does. I get drowsy and very sleepy but my mind goes into overdrive and won't shut off. I only take .50mgs a day. I can't imagine what a higher dose than that would do to me
Cass

Old 08-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I found a blood pressure drop in 15-30 minutes with clonidine. It did tend to make me sleepy during the day, but I mostly got used to it so it wasn't so bad after a while. I am an insomniac, so being sleepy during the day is my usual. I thought it might interefere with my sleep, but I no longer take it and still have trouble sleeping at night and being sleepy during the day.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
(female)

las7715 HB User

Hi All- I am taking the Clonidine patch called "Catapres" I change it weekly. I started using the patch last Wed...before that I took oral Clonidine .1mg twice daily. In between doses I'd get the high spikes in late afteroon, so my dr recommended trying the patch for a steady, consistent dosing. However, my BP has been high so far and I don't know how long it takes for the patch to take effect. She also put be on a HCTZ that starts with a "T" I can't even begin to spell it but it's a big round yellow tablet. (.50mg) Yes, Clonidine does make me tired...have to nap everyday after I get home from work...So far, all BP meds have affected me this way (sigh)

Last edited by las7715; 08-08-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Does anyone taking clonidine get a sore throat from the dry mouth side effect?
Cass

Old 08-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Does anyone taking clonidine get a sore throat from the dry mouth side effect?
Cass
I don't get a sore throat but I do get dry mouth or dry throat that makes me cough a bit. I always have a water bottle with me.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I found that I had to up the dosage of the Catapres patch compared to the amount I took of clonidine in pill form. You might try going to .2 mg patches.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
(female)

las7715 HB User

Thanks, Mgraylorn, I was thinking that too. I originally started out on oral Clonidine at .2mg 2x daily but it knocked me through a loop...my BP fell to 99/60 and I felt like I'd faint everytime I stood up, but maybe with the patch it would be more gradual so I might suggest it to my dr.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
(female)

las7715 HB User

Cassiebel- I've noticed ever since I started the patch last week that I've had a sore throat. I thought it was allergies or something. Funny thing is, when I was on the oral form of Clonidine I did have a very dry mouth. Now, I don't seem to have the dry mouth but my throat is sore!

Old 09-01-2005, 04:28 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

I'm still thinking on using Clonidine to get me through my persistent anxiety period, which has my bp running consistently higher than usual now. Does anyone have any opinion on its negative effect on health beyond side effects? How tired is tired? I'm not taking one .5 xanax a day during my worst period, and it does knock me out, more or less. So I need something else, I have a tough job. Another possibility: Does anyone take a dose of Tiazac over 300? I'm seeing a real psychiatrist now and hope to be on the right track, but I still can still barely function part of the time. pal

Old 09-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Outside of limiting certain other meds you can take, I don't think it has any long term negative side effects. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. You might inquire if it is safe to take with some of the antianxiety meds you are taking.

Its hard to say how tired you will feel with it. I'd start with half a .1 mg dose and see how it goes. I pretty much got used to it after a bit. My problem is that I am somewhat of an insomniac, and I have a job where I sit at a computer all day, so even without a drug with known sleep inducing effects, I struggle not to nod off, and I had to give up caffiene. If you have to be moving around a lot, you may not notice much of an effect at all.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 09-01-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom takes .01 6x daily and it does nothing for her bp. Her new dr has added avapro along with torsemide(diurecti) and verapamil. She does get very tire and doesn't feel like going for her daily walks.

The best thing about clonidine for her is that it helps her sleep at night.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Pal,
The only negitive effect that really is bothersome is the sleepiness and greylorn is right about getting used to it. After taking it daily for a while one hardly notices the side effects. I took it for 7 years while working in the payroll dept of a major oil co. and was able to cope with my job. Now I only take it on an as needed basis so the side effects do bother me a little and I suspect age may be a factor with me now. I take 1/2 of .1 mg at bedtime (most days) and by the next morning the the side effects are gone but I still have a bit of BP lowering left untill about 4 pm.

I was just told today (by my GP) that it's ok to take clonidine with diltiazem (Tiazac), in fact I just got some samples of Tiazac to start on. I'll be taking an ACEI, diuretic, Tiazac and the clonidine while I try once again to wean off atenolol.

I don't know about mixing it with xanax though, You'll have to talk to the doc about that but my doc gave me ativan and later valium to take along with clonidine. I will have to say they hit pretty hard together. Best be near a bed or couch when you mix them.

Cass

Closed Thread