It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 05:49 AM   #1
(female)

charlies_angel HB User
Question Does Atenolol Cause Leg Problems??

Hi I am writing on behalf of my dad, who has high blood-pressure.

He has been taking Atenolol as prescribed by his GP, but since starting taking the medication he has been having much trouble with his legs. He says they feel leaden and make walking anywhere impossible (very depressing when you don't drive and live a 20-minute hike from the nearest shop as he does!)

Can anyone relate to this? Any helpful replies will be much appreciated

Thanks!

-Katie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Does Atenolol Cause Leg Problems??

Katie-

One of the things I can think of that may be causing this sensation of "leaden legs" is that some people on Atenolol develop edema (mild or worse) of the lower legs which may or may nor be visible but certainly make your legs feel heavy and weird.

I would have him report this to his doctor...It may or may not be related to the drug, but should be discussed.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I have taken atenolol for a lot of years. It has always made my legs feel heavy and tired, especially when climbing stairs. I was told by my doctor it is a result of the fatigue that beta blockers cause.
Cass

Old 08-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
(male)

fmc HB User

Be careful with these BP meds. Make sure you tell your doctor and get it changed even if have the slightest thought that it is the medication causing the leg problem. I had that feeling and told my doctor 3 years ago and I believed him that it wasn't atenolol or the Norvasc that I was taking. Today I have low blood flow to my hips and the bones are dying. Can't say for sure that medication was the problem but it is very strange that I was perfectly healty until I started the BP medication. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to fmc:
cmb03303 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

My Mom is on this junk and we make fun of her because when she gets up she says "my legs are no good no more". We laugh but I keep telling her to get off that crap. Finally she is goin to the docs to get her on something else...Lisa

Old 08-11-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Katie,
On another beta-blocker, nadolol, I often felt I couldn't move my legs one more step. Once when bike riding, I had to take a cab home...where I promptly threw out the Corgard!

Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #7

m_allen4000 HB User

i have been taking atenolol for 5 yrs now.I hade the same semptoms at first.
But i have lost about 85 lbs due to exercising and jogging at least twice a week.
and all semptoms have gone away.Also do not eat grapfruit when on this particular med

Closed Thread