It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User
Question How do you feel

Just wondering if anybody can explain how they feel with hbp. I am on meds of bp but I am also going thru peri-menopause and some days (like today) when I feel miserable I wonder is it my bp or peri that makes me so miserable.
Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
(female)

sarahjean HB User
Re: How do you feel

My HBP makes me feel anxious more than anything. I worry about it, I worry about something bad happening to me because of it. Apart from that I feel generally "drained". Probably from being so stressed all the time!
I hope you feel better soon.
Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

The cause of my high blood pressure was stress or anxiety, so I had HBP when I was stressed, I didn't feel stressed when I had HBP. Even though I'm no longer on BP meds since I no longer deal with a long-term stressful situation, I still know that whenever I do get totally stressed out about something, that my BP will be up. Even reading the gruesome news on the web has raised my systolic BP by as much as 20 points. But that is short term, and it gradually comes back down. Otherwise, for me, there is no symptom of HBP. Most people experience no symptoms. That's why they call it the silent killer.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Always,
Well I've had high BP since I was 28, & Mitral valve prolapse. Never noticed symptoms of HBP, but MVP caused palpitations. When I hit peri I was miserable, too. Increased anxiety, panic, palpitations, etc. Lots of ladies on the menopause board having a hard time with peri & feeling miserable, too. You might wander over there. Of you're high BP is controlled, you shouldn't really feel anything from it...maybe side effects of the meds, though.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Thank you all for your replies.
I am on the menopause board as well!!

Maggie

Old 08-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

My doctor told me I might "feel a little better" with lowered bp. I don't think I've noticed much of a difference. Sometimes when I am really stressed, I feel like I have high pressure inside of me, especially my head. But which came first the stress or the pressure feeling? In some ways I feel worse on meds, because I do have some minor side effects. On the other hand I am aging too, so don't feel as spry as I used to. Back when I was having blood pressure spikes from Toprol, I knew my bp was high because I got a funny feeling along the back of my neck and a lot of anxiety and rapid heart rate. I am off that drug and so can't really tell if my bp is up or down. Sometimes when it is pretty low, I feel tired and sluggish. But again, which came first - tired and sluggish or low bp?

Old 08-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
(female)

WantToManage HB User

Hi,

I'm new here -- just found this site today and this is my first posting. Reading through many of these threads has actually made me feel better to know that there are a lot of people like me out there!

Like Alwaysaworrier, my hbp has coincided somewhat with menopause, and I often can't tell whether hbp, menopause, or meds is responsible for how I'm feeling on a given day. But I can say that I first suspected that I had hbp when I developed a fairly constant low-grade headache (I previously rarely, if ever, had headaches) and found that my face was often very flushed, to the point where people asked me if I'd been in the sun (I'm naturally fair-skinned).

I knew I was at high risk for hbp because my mother had it and died of a heart attack at 43 (I'm 49 now and have been taking meds for about 2 years). In addition to that, I think my main causal factor is anxiety.

I started meds about the time I started menopause, and fairly quickly settled on 50 mg atenolol and 2 mg Mavik (later changed to 10 mg lisinopril at the request of my employer's PBM). That worked pretty well. However, in the last month or so I began to suspect that my bp is going up again. I avoided taking my bp because it depresses me to get high readings (vicious circle: high reading --> increased anxiety about bp --> higher reading), but it was confirmed last week when I had to go to a medical center after falling off a bike on vacation. I've taken it a couple of times since and I'm hovering around 165/95 -- which is higher than my readings when I went on meds in the first place!

I called my doctor and he said to double the lisinopril for a week or so to see whether it will come down. I have a feeling it won't. I feel like I've reached a new level of anxiety (probably due to some changes at my job) and that the atenolol just isn't doing the trick any more. If it doesn't come down, I plan to meet with the doctor to devise a new strategy. I want to treat this aggressively.

Sorry -- I see I've gone a bit off track, but as it's my first posting, I felt I wanted to lay down some background. Thanks for listening!

Old 08-19-2005, 07:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I feel somewhat better with my blood pressure higher...more alive. It's not a BIG difference, but I am stronger and more able to work out longer. That probably says more about the effect of the drugs than anything else.

Of course, if I take my BP and my numbers are high, anxiety sets in but I think that's more of an effect of the NUMBERS than the blood pressure.

Basically, I'd say not a lot of difference; I'm "by the book" and my hypertension is pretty much symptomless.

The converse though is not true. If I am riddled by anxiety, my BP will shoot up dramatically.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Like Lenin I also feel better with HBP. The higher the better I feel. Of course if I get a reading and see the high numbers it goes even higher which makes me more anxious.
If I start to feel hyper I know I'm over 140/80. It's a visious cycle that can drive a person crazy.
Cass

Old 08-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I have been told that there are no symptoms of hbp, but I do know that if your stressed, and not necessarily due to life but a too active adrenal glands or some other condition where bp is just a symptom not a cause.

I do know that when I am nervous, even if there is nothing going on in my life just nervous, hyped up, etc it would seem obvious that my bp would go up, but it doesn't, when I am most relaxed that is when my pressure seems to be the highest.

it is still too high but it is close to more ideal pressure when I am nervous, but when I am calm it spikes, why? don't know.

when my pressure was really up there like in 200's over 100's then I noticed a fatigue and headache and generally feeling of weirdness that is hard to explain.I would get alot of palpatations, now I just get it occassionally since being on bp meds.

as for perimenopause you may be right the problems you are having may be just that, there are so many symptoms of this condition it boggles the mind, but most woman usually only have a few or one,

RR

Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #11
(female)

stars13 HB User

Right from the beginning i could always tell when my bp was high. I get this weird pressure headache in the bridge of my nose, i've never had a nose bleed but it feels like something wants to bust. not a good description, sorry.

and then i feel very agitated and confused, very hard to think straight. I know then it's up pretty high, usually 190's/100.

Then i too get anxious which i know makes it worse.

I went into full menopause 2 years ago and finally am feeling pretty good as far as those symptoms go, but now i can't lose a lb. to save my soul. that's a whole other story though, lol.

star

Old 08-19-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
(female)

WantToManage HB User

We've all heard that they call high blood pressure "the silent killer," but people like us who gravitate to sites like this all seem to be aware when something's "different." I think that in the end much depends on personality -- anxious folks are the ones most likely to be finely tuned to their bodies' fluctuations, and are also the ones most likely to have fundamental physical responses to stressful situations. Some people respond with ulcers/IBS, some with depression, some with headaches/muscleaches. Some of us respond with hbp. I discovered this site just yesterday and it's amazing/comforting to me to see that there are so many people out there going through experiences just like mine! Makes me feel much better....

Last edited by WantToManage; 08-19-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Closed Thread