It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Morning surge in blood pressure equals stroke risk

Several of you have mentioned over the past months that your blood pressure goes up in the morning. I've been doing some researching on 24-hour blood pressure lately and came across an interesting article on the AHA web site you might be interested in reading. It summarizes research done in Japan which showed a much greater risk of stroke and TIAs among those elderly persons who had very large morning surges in blood pressure. While the level of surge necessary to create these risks may be greater than most of us experience, it may be something to keep in mind for those of us who have a tendency to morning BP surges. And it certainly underscores the importance of adjusting medications to get the best 24-hour control. Check out the article at:

[url]http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3009554[/url]

Old 08-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Morning surge in blood pressure equals stroke risk

Stroke AND MI risk are statistically greatest the first thing upon awakening.
On the other hand I imagine a heart attack or stroke might wake one up rather abruptly!

I have also read that a goodly share of heart attacks occur "on the can." Perhaps, pressure related also,

Last edited by Lenin; 08-07-2005 at 05:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Lenin it is really no laughing matter. I had my stroke first thing in the morning.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
On the other hand I imagine a heart attack or stroke might wake one up rather abruptly!
Not all heart attacks or strokes are that distinct, though. When my late husband had his heart attack, he had just finished cooking dinner. When he first started showing symptoms something was wrong, I asked, "Do you think it could be a heart attack? Should I call 911?" His answer: "No. I cooked dinner. I'm going to eat it!" We were about half way through dinner before I reached the conclusion it was likely a heart attack and called 911. My husband sat and finished his dinner as he waited for the ambulance to get here! I guess he wasn't looking forward to hospital food. (Incidentally, he did survive another ten years.)

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 08-07-2005 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling, again!

Closed Thread