It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User
Persistent anxiety attack

Over the last couple of weeks I've been constantly anxious about everything, my average pulse has gone up about 20 bpm and my blood pressure is all over the map. About 10 days ago, I went to the emergency room with a pulse of 110 and systolic 190 convinced I was about to die of kidney failure.
After my kidneys checked out fine, my bp dropped to 107 and pulse to 70. But that was only temporary relief. I sleep fitfully and the feeling is almost always with me. I can barely function at times. Exercise works great for temporary alleviation, and my bp drops like a rock as a result. I have a dr's appt.
in a few days, but does anyone think I need immediate help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #2

redherring HB User
Re: Persistent anxiety attack

I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time right now. Looks like you're okay physically. Do you have any meds for anxiety? When I hit a rough patch with anxiety, I try and do cognitive behavioral therapy exercises. If that doesn't work, I take a xanax (which is rare, btw). I used to take Paxil and Celexa which was superb for my anxiety but I could not handle the relentless weight gain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I had the same problem in April. My blood pressure was even higher than yours. Your doctor will most likely prescribe medication for both the anxiety and blood pressure. This is what happened to me. The anxiety attack that I experienced was because of some business issues. Once the issues were resolved the anxiety attacks ceased and I went off the medication (on meds one month). I still have a months supply of each in the event it returns. I monitor my BP daily using a home machine. So far, so good.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I forgot to mention in my previous post. Someone mentioned recently that they had good results with anxiety by taking Fish Oil. No harm in taking it since Fish Oil is good for overall health. The one that the poster recommended was the one in a bottle versus capsules. Mixes it in a blender with juice. Keep the bottle refrigerated.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Thanks for the understanding responses. I'm not so sure about my health. I'm 54,
have very high bp when unmedicated, and during this panic phase the medicine is not working so well. Does any one have any opinion about whether this sort of reaction has been reported as a prelude to a heart attack?

Old 08-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Pal: What is causing the anxiety/panic attacks? This is obviously what needs to be treated and possibly by a therapist. I know what caused mine which was anxiety and anger. I now know that I can't let this happen again or I'm headed for major problems (I'm 65). Everything that I've read about high blood pressure mentions that it leads to serious heart problems and possible stroke. You also need to meet with a Nutritionist real soon that will recommend a diet and supplements. This is something doctors don't do. You may also consider a CT Heart Scan that will measure the amount of calcification in your arteries. This procedure will provide you with a score. I had one two years ago and I was just slightly elevated and in no serious danger. I had it done for about $400 at a private diagnostic center. I don't sense you're doing enough to help yourself. I mean this as constructive criticism and no offense. Don't depend entirely on doctors. Your health is your responsibility. There's plenty of books on how to improve your heart health. Again, see a Nutritionist. Very, very important.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Thanks again. That's a very, very helpful note. I would love to know my calcification
score, and I'll look into that. I'm on the low carb diet, but balanced with vegetables at every meal. I should also mention I used to be fat, but I'm now just a bit above
my optimum weight. I'm not sure what's causing the attack--my thoughts grab on to everything, and it's scary how long it's being going on. I'm a writer, in part, and it's given me a block.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #8

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael01
I forgot to mention in my previous post. Someone mentioned recently that they had good results with anxiety by taking Fish Oil. No harm in taking it since Fish Oil is good for overall health. The one that the poster recommended was the one in a bottle versus capsules. Mixes it in a blender with juice. Keep the bottle refrigerated.
Fish oil has helped me with my anxiety. Strange, isn't it?? Oh and I also take magnesium when I feel anxious. Magnesium has a relaxing affect on the body.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

pal,

Though no pill will cure the core reasons for anxiety, I've found that the best short term aid is old fashioned Valium (diazepam.) It is very long lasting and doesn't have the swings of some of the benzodiazepines.
A couple days of 5 mg.(daytime) or the occasional 10 mg. berfore bedtime works wonders for me.
I find that about 60 x 10 mg. tablets gets me through a year or two.

Anxiety can be self-perpetuating and having some device to break the cycle often works.
I've never tried Xanax but I imagine it works similarly. But I STRONGLY recommend agains ATIVAN...it could be on the very TOP of my hate list, and that's a LONG list!

Last edited by Lenin; 08-08-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
(female)

strong_one HB User
Lightbulb Re: Persistent anxiety attack

I have tried time and time again to tell my doc that I must have an anxiety problem but she says no. I used to take atenolol @ 50mg and I think that was the root of my anxiety. I had to go through a combination of DUD drugs before I found one that at least lowers my BP and also took care of the anxiety problem....that drug was clonidine. It relaxes you so much to want to sleep...but I haven't gotten an anxiety attack since. You might want to ask about that too. It only works for a few hours but it brings my BP down pretty quick. I take .01 mg a day but can take up to two a day depending if I get the BP spikes. I can tell mine is anxiety because when somethings are going wrong at work...(I manage my IT department-Network Administrator) I get stressed and my BP goes up along with my anxiety level. I attribute it to my darn job.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Pal,
I can really sympathize with you. When I first found out I had HBP I lived in fear of stroke or heart attack. I suffered anxiety and panic attacks in silence for 20 plus years.

A dizzy spell, fatigue, indigestion or even a headache would send my BP & pulse skyrocketing. I lived in constant fear of having a heart attack. I got so bad I couldn't function at my job or in my personal life.

I finally confessed all this to my doc and he gave me valium. It does work but you will either have to get professional help or (like me) work this out of your mind. I had to tell myself over and over that each symptom was just that -a symptom and not a heart attack. I had to realize that I was doing all I could to improve my health and leave the rest up to fate.

Clonidine works too. It has basicly the same effect as valium plus it lowers BP in a short period of time. It does have some undesirable side effects though. (at least for me).

I really feel for you. Anxiety is a devastating illness.

Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 08-08-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Thanks for your kind responses. I'm going to the dr. tomorrow, but I could only be worked in for a bp check kind of appt. My systolic was 160 this morning, which was genuinely alarming. It was 132 this afternoon, but my pulse was 90. That's a hell of a fairly resting pulse when you're on diltiazem. As I said before, it had actually dropped now near 60 and occasionally below. Just a month or two ago I was a little sluggish as a result of the medicine working too well. Cassiebel, I'm actually glad to hear that you pulse and bp skyrocketed when you were overwhelmed with health paranoia. (although I'm sorry too, I hope you know) That gives me some hope that what I'm feeling is not really some prelude to a heart attack. Chlonidine works really well on me; it's what dropped my bp in the ER when I first discovered I had very high bp. It would certainly help me right now.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Have you started taking any new suppliments that might account for the anxiety? Once you get worked up it tends to feed on itself, so if you could find the root cause that would be best. In the mean time clonidine could help you get through the spikes. It did for me when I was on Toprol.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Well my sy went over 180 tonight so I went to the ER. They gave me Xanax and no bp medicine and the number dropped 30 points in 20 minutes. I also had an EKG and every conceivable kind of blood work and everything checked out well. It's anxiety pure and simple and I will get something better from my real dr. tomorrow and try to figure out the root cause. Thanks again for your concern.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #15

redherring HB User

When I had the mother of all panic attacks (yes, the paramedics were called), my BP shot up to 178/113 This was at a time when I was running 40 miles a week and had low BP. Panic and anxiety can wreak havoc with your BP.

Pal, you have something going on anxiety wise if your BP drops 20 minutes after taking a xanax. You might want to consider an antidepressant which will help in the long term. Did your doctor suggest an AD?

Closed Thread