It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
(male)

burpee HB User
"news reports" enough to confuse me - how about you?

Now, another report that warns about "pre hyperetension" as a contributing factor to heart disease.....

I exercise quite a bit, and I am taking an ACE inhibitor to lower my BP from 140/90 to 130/80 . On days when I exercise, I sometimes skip the meds because my BP usually goes down after biking or running for several hours.

The general idea being - just keep my BP form getting up 140/90 , but not really keep it down to - or below 120/80.......

So what's the deal? Should I go ahead bump up to enough meds - so as not to ever see 140/90, even though much of the time my BP might drop to 110/70? Or should I continue to use meds - somewhat more sparingly, taking just enough to not ever go over 140/90?

In other words - when you have such a wide range of BPs due to a mix of exercise and meds, in what way do you "average" or "target" your everyday BP level?

Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-08-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: "news reports" enough to confuse me - how about you?

First off, it sounds like "they" are changing the definition again. The following quote is from a WebMDHealth news item dated May 16, 2005:
Quote:
The new definition released this weekend changes this; it classifies "normal individuals" as having normal blood pressure, loosely defined as a systolic pressure of 115 and a diastolic pressure of 75 PLUS no signs of heart disease or stroke, few if any risk factors for cardiovascular disease, and no apparent damage from high blood pressure to the kidneys or other organs.
It will, no doubt, take some time before all the doctors start going by this new definition, but mine used it when I saw her two weeks ago.

How aggressively you should medicate your HBP is probably something you and your doctor should work out together, depending upon your personal risks. I'm currently not on meds (got off them in January!), but because of my other risks (family history, high cholesterol, high homocysteine, high Lp-PLA2 test results, poor LDL density pattern), I've decided that if my BP average at home gets over 135/80, I'll go back to the doctor and ask for meds. If I should need to go back on meds, I'd try to aim to lower my BP to an average of no higher than 120/80, provided that my lows with that average didn't give me symptoms. You might reach a different conclusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

It would, of course, be perfect to have a systolic of 115 or less and no symptoms or risks for anything. But what we really need to know is how risky 130 or 135 is by comparison, because bp medicines themselves are not without risk. Would getting yourself up to, say, 4 different drugs really be worth getting reliably perfectly normal results.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I forget the source but I read one of the major manufacturer's risk assessment data and it listed something like the same risk for a MEDICATED 120 systolic as for an UNMEDICATED 140.
Those numbers might be slightly off (and my memory) but the gist was that that there is no substitute for a NATURALLLY low BP...scary thought for us medicators.
It was one of the reasons I stopped the pills last month.

I was always a bit confused when any risk assessment asked, "Do you have hypertension or take medication for hypertension?"
If the answer was YES then the risk was the same. I always scratched my head and asked "Then why are we taking these god-forsaken pills?"

Last edited by Lenin; 08-08-2005 at 05:05 AM.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
(male)

burpee HB User

Thanks for the comments. All very good points.

I share the perspective, that the least amount of a drug you can by with is best - and that's why I'd prefer to "take just enough" to stay pre-hyper - but then - I can't really "measure" just how my lifestyle works with familial or other risk factors.

Although my parents, both had "health events" at the early ages of 56 and 58 respectively - my lifestyle and activities are so far removed from those situations as to be incomparable. (neither of my parents ever exercised, nor were screened for BP or cholesterol, etc....

At least I don't have noticable side effects with ACE inhibitors, that's why I'm I don't know whether it matters if I take a little more or not.

Last edited by burpee; 08-08-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Closed Thread