It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

shopgirl37 HB User
EKG ADVICE/high blood pressure

Hi I went to the doctor the other day and my blood pressure was 170/100, my heart rate was 104 at the doctor office too and my doctor prescribe lotrel and to return in week for a ekg. My blood pressure has been normal at home (125/88) but high at the doctor visits. I was wondering how my anxiety at doctor office will effect my ekg. This is the first time I have had a EKG done. I also take paxil for anxiety but does not help at the doctor office.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: EKG ADVICE/high blood pressure

I don't know how it would affect the EKG, but have you told your doctor that you apparently have severe "white coat" syndrome? Have you shown him a copy of your home readings with time and date of readings?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

Hi. I too suffer from anxiety.

I have had several EKGs done. Unless there is something wrong with your heart your anxiety shouldn't affect your EKG results. The only thing it may show is a Sinus Tachycardia, and it would only show that if your heart beat is over 100 bmp during the EKG.

Hope this helps!

-Angela

Old 08-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

shopgirl,

I feel the same as Angela; your ECG won't show any abnormalities akin to "white coat syndrome's" mangling your BP.

If you are getting 125/88 at home as an average, I would resist medication. Sounds like you are young because the highish diastolic usually goes away with age and we get the high systolic to worry about.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
(female)

shopgirl37 HB User

Thanks for your replies. I plan to show my doctor my reading at home on my next visit.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
(female)

strong_one HB User

Are they doing and EKG or an Echocardiogram...There is a difference. An EKG is a recording of the electrical activity of the heart. An echo is a study using high-frequency sound waves to picture or visualize the heart chambers, the thickness of the muscle wall, the heart valves and major blood vessels located near the heart.

I had an echo done earlier and an EKG won't show any anxiety related issues. It will however show that your pulse is racing. That will show as an abnormality. It did for me. I still try to convince my GP that it has to be anxiety....she don't get it!!!

Old 08-10-2005, 04:30 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

An EKG has nothing to do with bp and is nothing to worry about. Mine was perfectly norma (except for the rapid heart beat)l when I had broken my arm in two, was in terrible pain with the lower half of my arm flopping aournd, had a pulse of over 130, and a sytolic of 200. Have your MD take your bp at least two times in his office, the second after he's talked with you for 10 minutes while you've been resting and after you done the deep breathing that comes with part of the examination. In my experience, there can be a very significant drop, and that will be evidence of the white coat in your case.

Closed Thread