It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
(female)

lizabug HB User
Toprol Xl Question

Hi,
It's been quite a while since I have posted. I have recently had my high blood pressure meds changed from Diovan 240 mg. to Toprol XL 25 mg. The change was because my heart beat is really irregular and the doctor said what concerned him was "something, something couplets" that were happening in the lower part of my heart, hence the need to change my meds.

My problem is that when I take this medicine I experience really bad headaches, I've gained another three pounds, I don't seem to be able to sleep despite the fact that I feel exhausted, I feel bloated and nauseated most of the time, and experience the worst constipation. I have also lost gobs of hair and tend to feel really sad a lot. I have talked to the nurse at my cardiologist who said that most of this will go away after I get used to the meds. I haven't taken any for two weeks and feel so much better but I have noticed a rise in my blood pressure. Has anyone else had any of these symptoms? I just have a really bad gut feeling about this.

Last edited by lizabug; 08-19-2005 at 07:14 PM.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Toporal Xl Question

Toprol is never a walk in the park. I have never taken a beta-blocker that didn't cause EXTREME insomnia. Same goes for the weight gain.

Here's the "by the book" side effects:

Quote:
What are the possible side effects of Toprol?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking Toprol and contact your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; hives);
· wheezing or shortness of breath;
· an unusually slow or irregular heartbeat;
· swelling of the feet and lower legs;
· leg pain or cramping;
· sudden weight gain (more than 2 pounds in one day or 5 pounds in one week);
· chest (heart) pain;
· unusually cold or blue feet and hands; or
· skin rash.
• If you experience any of the following less serious side effects, continue taking Toprol and talk to your doctor:
· fatigue or confusion;
· headache or dizziness;
· weak pulse or mildly slow heart rate;
· diarrhea, constipation, gas, nausea, or vomiting;
· depression; or
· nightmares.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
If I were you, I'd just tell my doctor that I won't tolerate these side effects and to find another drug for me.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-11-2005 at 04:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Toprol Xl Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabug
Hi,
It's been quite a while since I have posted. I have recently had my high blood pressure meds changed from Diovan 240 mg. to Toporal XL 25 mg. The change was because my heart beat is really irregular and the doctor said what concerned him was "something, something couplets" that were happening in the lower part of my heart, hence the need to change my meds.

My problem is that when I take this medicine I experience really bad headaches, I've gained another three pounds, I don't seem to be able to sleep despite the fact that I feel exhausted, I feel bloated and nauseated most of the time, and experience the worst constipation. I have also lost gobs of hair and tend to feel really sad a lot. I have talked to the nurse at my cardiologist who said that most of this will go away after I get used to the meds. I haven't taken any for two weeks and feel so much better but I have noticed a rise in my blood pressure. Has anyone else had any of these symptoms? I just have a really bad gut feeling about this.
Have you had a trygliceride blood test? If so, what was the reading?

Do you have a higher blood pressure at night than you do during the daytime. For instance, what is your average blood pressure reading at 8pm? 10pm? 11pm?

Does diabetes run in your family?

Those "something, something couplets" might have had little to do with the Diovan. Doctors can't do the necessary research and problem solving so they react with quick decisions based on sometimes weak assumptions. A patient's lifestyle, diet, environment, allergies, immune system, neurological system, genetics can all play a roll in causing symptoms such as "something, something couplets".

So..... instead of your doctor putting on his detective hat, and doing a thorough analysis (which he really isn't in the position to do), he "randomly" selects Toporal XL 25 mg, in an attempt to get lucky with your health problems. Sadly, most of the time, the patient goes round and round without getting a solution to the health problems.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-11-2005 at 06:29 AM.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I had a terrible time with Toprol XL. It raised my bp at the end of the day, gave me blood pressure and heart rate spikes mostly in the middle of the night, made me nauseous and anxious and finally the spikes go so bad that I couldn't eat anything and I lost 5 pounds in one week. Even after I got off the drug I still had flashbacks in the form of smaller spikes for several months.

I agree with Lenin. Tell your doctor you won't take this drug because it makes you feel really bad and he needs to find something else for you. Period. No arguement. If he can't accept that, then tell him you will be looking for another physician.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
(female)

lizabug HB User

I haven't been able to check back on my post until tonight due to the fact that I have had my grandchildren.

I have been monitoring my blood pressure and it seems to be maintaining a level of 137/84. This has been almost constant. I feel 100% better since I haven't taken any blood pressure meds at all. I haven't experienced any headaches, my constipation has pretty much disappeared, my hair loss has stopped, I don't feel tired like I did before, I'm able to sleep. I just feel so much better.

In answer to some of the questions. I have had my triglycerides checked but it was back at the beginning of the year and right now I can't recall what they were. No, there is no diabetes in my family history although there is a history of thyroid problems. My mother had an enlarged thyroid but was never treated, two of my brother's have now been diagnosed with thyroid conditions and are being treated. My family doctor has checked my TSH levels and tells me they are in the normal range. I know these ranges have been changed and I don't know if our hospital lab is going by the old or new ranges. I have experienced times at night when I felt as if I were choking and it felt as if my throat had collapsed. This would wake my up out of a sound sleep. It was really pretty scary. My family doctor said this could be sleep apnea but due to some scheduling problems I haven't been able to have a sleep test completed. I haven't experienced these episodes for quite some time thankfully.

The Toprol was given to me mainly because of irregular heartbeats. I have experienced them all my life and the "something, something couplets" were picked up while wearing a holter monitor. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the name was the cardiologist gave when talking to me about this. I will have to ask again I guess.

If I can maintain my blood pressure without the use of meds I will. That is my goal. I know that I need to lose weight which will probably help most.

Thanks for everyones input.

Last edited by lizabug; 08-18-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I took torprol xl at 100mg, gradually building up from 25 mg every week, and it made it impossible to exercise, without severe back pain and breathlessness, poor old heart couldn't beat fast enough to provide the oxygen to my muscles fast enough, so I decided to cut back and got down gradually to none only to have a bad migraine attack, and got back on 50 mg, I am currently at 50 mg and don't seem to have a problem sleeping in fact I slept better when at 100 mg than 50 mg,

but I seem to be suffering perimenopause or even menopause, so that can cause insominia tension, and nervousness, well in me anyway.

so now I take 50 mg torprol, and 20mg lisinopril, still my pressure is still to high but the numbers are much closer to where it would be safe enough.

RR

Old 08-19-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
(female)

lizabug HB User

I feel so much better being off all meds. I checked my blood pressure this morning and it was 130/80. I read in a post on this board about how magnesium seemed to help a variety of symptoms and now suspect that this could be an answer for me. I have had restless legs off and on for as long as I can remeber. Heart palpations have also plagued me. I have a supplement that I have had but haven't tried yet. It lists magnesium as the first ingredient. I think I will give it a try.

Closed Thread