It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
Inactive

Michael01 HB User
Drop In Blood Pressure

Prior to a week ago my readings were 150-155 over 95-100. I haven't seen anything close to 120/80 in years. This past week, I made two changes and my readings are now 118-122 over 78-82. I take readings in the morning and late afternoon. The two dietary changes that I've made this past week:

MultiOmega Dietary Supplement which contains Fish Oil, Flax Oil and Borage Oil.

Phytonutrient Rich Green Foods with Fruit & Vegetable. This product contains 35 Fruits & Vegetables.

I'm so pleased with the new readings. I was very close to visiting a Doctor which would have meant medication. I have never taken medication in my life so that would have been a very painful decision. I wanted to share this information.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
(male)

Sideem HB User
Re: Drop In Blood Pressure

Quote:
Phytonutrient Rich Green Foods
Is that similar to Super Greens? Meaning is it in a powdered format. Either way, congrats!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Yes, it's a powdered format and very green.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Where do you buy it. Can it be purchased in a store/health food store? Is it safe for diabetics?

Old 08-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I don't know if a diabetic can use either product. I imagine most health food stores carry these products. I have seen the MultiOmega in several health food stores and lots of selections of Green Foods that contain Fruit & Vegetable. I purchased mine from *******. Sorry, that I can't answer the diabetic questions. Maybe someone else can.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
(male)

Sideem HB User

The Super Greens (Miracle Greens) that I use don't mention anything about it being dangerous for diabetics. Just the usual 'these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA' jazz. IMHO, it should be safe for you to use.

Last edited by Sideem; 08-15-2005 at 07:38 AM.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I'm sorry, but I always have to laugh a bit when someone tells me they don't like medicine or don't use medicine, but regularly take a hand full of pills. Look up the definition of "medicine" and you will see answers similar to the following: A drug or other substance used to prevent or cure disease or to relieve pain. You are indeed taking a "medicine" in the form of these substances you are ingesting. They aren't regulated in the same way as say Diovan or Losartan, they haven't been subjected to clinial trials to assess their effectiveness and safety, and the exact contents of these substances you are taking aren't regulated. There isn't even any guarantee that what is in these substances is what is listed on the label. If you come back to me and say well, these things are "natural" and drugs aren't, I'd tell you that many drugs are made from "natural" ingredients (as an example Premarin for menopause is made from pregnant mare urine) and I'd ask you how they process "35 vegetables" to come up with a green powder you are eating.

I'm not denying your claim that the stuff you are taking is lowering your blood pressure, but it is a form of "medicine". You just aren't getting it from a doctor.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I'm well aware of what you're saying. The reason why I have taken steps on my own to reduce my cholesterol and high blood pressure is that I don't have a drug prescription plan plus I have a high deductable medical plan. The cost of both drugs would probably cost me in the area of $350+ a month depending on what was prescribed plus the cost of visiting the doctor. I'm retired and live on a fixed income. For me it's all about cutting costs. The multiomega oil which is a one month supply is $14. The Fruit & Vegetable is $7 a month. I can't afford the prescription drugs and refuse to take them and then have to cut back on basic necessities like many seniors are doing. I can't afford to support the drug companies and doctors. Anyway, thanks for your message.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
(male)

Sideem HB User

Wow...what you're taking is only $7 a month? A canister of MG's cost me $29. Now I'm really curious. Could you give the product name so I can search for it on the Net?

To mgraylorn, I hear what you're saying as well. It's obvious these alternative med companies have to cover their a$$(ets) in case someone wants to sue them. But thanks for the information.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I did mention where I purchased it from which I was not allowed to do and the name was removed but not the message. Take a look for yourself. I did read the posting rules and I'm aware that you must not give a website but I was not aware that I couldn't mention the name of the supplier. I did not purchase it from a Health Food Store that has high operating expenses like rent, electricity, labor and many other expenses which means an extremely high mark up. I can't afford to pay there rent and overhead. When I was purchasing a similar product in a Health Food Store it was about $20.00. There's a Health Food Store nearby that pays $12,000 a month for rent. And can you imagine what it is in major cities like San Francisco. Fortunately the moderator did not suspend me. I so enjoy Healthboards and have learned so much over the years which has been very beneficial to my health. Sorry that I can't be of any help.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Thanks for the information. I may try the supplement and see if it will work for me as well. I wish I knew exactly what store you were talking about. I think it's crazy not to be able to post the name of the store! Theres no way a name of some place can hurt anything.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #12
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Frontier Driver: I completely agree. Again, I did post the supplier but it was against the rules which I respect. Again, Health Food Stores have to mark up products at least 400% to 500% in order to survive huge over head costs. The supplier that I used sold me the product for $7.19 and in the catalog the list price is $23.99 a discount of 70%. However, this supplier that I used has a very low overhead meaning no stores and few employees. The savings are passed on to the consumers.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I hear you about the high cost of medicine these days, at least in the US. Its outrageous. I am very thankful I have a job which has medical insurance I can affordably buy. One routine office visit to my doctor is listed as a $109 charge, negotiated down by my insurance company to about $79, of which I only pay a $15 co-pay. If I were unemployed or worked retail where I didn't have insurance, I could not afford that. Not to mention the high price of drugs. Drug companies are blood suckers.

I understand that when the choice is food for a month or a bottle of prescription pills, one tries to find an alternative to the pills, since we have to eat. Unfortunately, often the "natural" alternatives are expensive as well, plus they may not work, or are dangerous. A lot of the blood pressure or cholesterol alternatives have fine print that says "when used with a sensible diet and an exercise plan". You pay for the "natural" drug, but it is actually the diet and exercise that are lowering your bp or cholesterol, so you are getting ripped off. My feeling is if there were truly a "wonder substance" out there that was cheap and effective, research would be all over it, and that some drug company would be quick to market it (at a raised price of course). And no, I don't believe in a giant conspiracy to with hold a wonder drug - if that were true, they wouldn't tell us to diet, exercise and decrease salt, since those things cost us nothing, provide no profit for drug companies, and are proven highly effective at lowering blood pressure and cholesterol for a large percentage of people.

Bottom line, if you can find something that works for you and you can get it at an affordable cost, go for it. If it isn't regulated, then buyer beware.

Incidently, just for curiosity, I looked up prices for 25 mg of captopril, an ACEI I take for high blood pressure. I could get a 90 day supply (I take one a day) for under $14. I don't think this is a Canadian phamacy either, nor is the cost supplimented by insurance. I have a question for the poster who takes the "greens" stuff and said it costs $20. How much are you paying for a 90 day supply?

Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #14
(male)

Sideem HB User

Quote:
I have a question for the poster who takes the "greens" stuff and said it costs $20. How much are you paying for a 90 day supply?
I haven't gotten the 90 day supply (I just started trying it last week and only did the 30-day supply) but I think the prices I saw ran around $85-95.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

I have been prescribed 3 different bp drugs-these are the quotes I just saw
on a website..
atenolol 10.99 for 90 day supply
lisinopril 32.99 for 90 day supply
triamterene/hctz 16.20 for 90 day supply....

unfortunately the side effects were the problem, not the money. BTW I do have insurance and my co-pay would be 9.00 for a 90 day supply.

Closed Thread