It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
(male)

cujo25 HB User
Anyone take Prinizide? (Lisinopril w/ Hydrochlorothiazide)

Last year I went to the doc for a checkup after goin to the ER for dehydration. While I was there he said my BP was up a bit to around 140/90 I believe. I thought it was whitecoat and the fact that I have some anxiety so I never took the low dose diuretic he prescribed. Few monthst ago I went for a follow up and started taking the diuretic for about 5 weeks, went to the doc bp was still about the same.

So now he put me on Prinizide and I was just curious if anyone is on this or knows anything about it?. So far the diuretic and now this dont seem too strong, meaning side effects etc.. the diruretic by itself before this never bothered me at all. I took the first pill of Prinizide about 7 hours ago and I have felt fine til a little bit ago I seemed to have gotten a bit of hot flashes and mild nausea with dizziness. I am assuming this is just my body adjusting to the meds and nothing to worry over? ever since I had anxiety I tend to be very sensitive about all physical changes in my body.

Thanks

Last edited by cujo25; 08-14-2005 at 09:32 PM.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Anyone take Prinizide? (Lisinopril w/ Hydrochlorothiazide)

Normally,
Something like a lisinopril-HCTZ mix is a good blood pressure med combination IF you don't develop a severe cough from it.

Dehydration is caused by a drastic loss of sodium and water and would normally contraindicate taking a diuretic. WHat kind of BP reading did they get in the E/R? How long after the E/R visit did your doctor find the reading of 140/90?

I think medicating after a SINGLE doctor's visit showing only 140/90, ESPECIALLY in light of recent dehydration, was a big mistake.

Why not get hold of a BP tester, and test yourself at home for a couple weeks to get an idea of your REAL blood pressure before you get on a lifetime treadmill of these drugs, perhaps needlessly. If you DO take the drug, make sure you know what the earliest symptoms of dehydratiion feel like and stop the thiazide before you get into trouble again; dehydration can be severe enough during this sweltering summer without being compounded by a diuretic.

DON'T withhold salt while taking a diuretic.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-15-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I took Hyzaar for about 4 days - it is Losartan, an ARB and hydrochlorothiazide. I suffered hot flashes, sweat like a pig during those flashes and felt nausea. I finally had to stop taking it when it drove my resting pulse rate up to 125 bpm. Since that time I have avoided diuretics.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
(male)

cujo25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Normally,
Something like a lisinopril-HCTZ mix is a good blood pressure med combination IF you don't develop a severe cough from it.

Dehydration is caused by a drastic loss of sodium and water and would normally contraindicate taking a diuretic. WHat kind of BP reading did they get in the E/R? How long after the E/R visit did your doctor find the reading of 140/90?

I think medicating after a SINGLE doctor's visit showing only 140/90, ESPECIALLY in light of recent dehydration, was a big mistake.

Why not get hold of a BP tester, and test yourself at home for a couple weeks to get an idea of your REAL blood pressure before you get on a lifetime treadmill of these drugs, perhaps needlessly. If you DO take the drug, make sure you know what the earliest symptoms of dehydratiion feel like and stop the thiazide before you get into trouble again; dehydration can be severe enough during this sweltering summer without being compounded by a diuretic.

DON'T withhold salt while taking a diuretic.

Lenin,

Thanks for the input, and my thoughts exactly!. I think he is jumping the gun here. I also thinks he forgets to take into account my anxiety issues, I really only get anxiety and attacks when I am bothered by physical changes and feelings having to do with my health and body. Sometimes I think doctors just dont acknowledge psychological issues like this and the affects it can have on things like a temporary spike in BP.

I saw him about a month after the dehydration incident when he took the reading. The people in the ER didnt say anything about my BP. He said he was suprised they didnt but then I thought well they probably thought rationally and knew that I was freaking out not to mention messed up from the atkins/dehydration episode.

I am going to get a BP tester myself. You know, after that visit when he said it was a bit high, I started going to the Jewel Grocery store where they have a BP tester chair. I would take my readings several times a week for almost two months and they always turned out good. The only time they were slightly elevated was the first reading after walking in there nervously. Then I would walk to the magazine isle for a minute, calm myself go back and take a few more all being fine. And especially seeing me once, taking one reading and declaring that I should take a Diuretic for the rest of my life seemed way off to me. Yea, a year later it was about the same reading, but I was in the same scenario, visiting the doctor and nervous about it.

Im 26, I dont drink coffee and stay away from caffeine. I smoked for 5 years but quit 5 years ago. I hardly drink at all, and I generally eat healthy and started to eat even better recently along with exercise. My only guess for spikes in BP is possible anxiety or stress. Something else I noticed is people mention food allergies can cause spikes? I get food reactions ALL the time almost on a daily basis. There are many things I cannot eat and many things I do eat cause bloating or some sort of reaction, sometimes I get hives.

I dont think he is helping as much as he could be before just throwing me on a drug. Honestly, hes a good Doc otherwise, was never much into just throwing meds at people and doesnt have the med advertisings all over his office like a lot of places. I used to go to a Wholistic doc a few years ago who helped me overcome a bad stomach issue I was having I am considering going to him again to help me get this down naturally. I am not one for taking drugs, if I have to then I will be it seems like not enough natural alternatives have been tried yet.

Mgraylorn,

Something else that happened to me lastnight was two incidents where I started to sweat alot along with the nausea and dizziness. However I dont think my heart was racing, it could have been anxiety afraid that something was going to happen or it could be from the pill. Its just hard to know for sure, especially since I only took one pill so far and it had only been 8 hours or so.

Last edited by cujo25; 08-15-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
(male)

cujo25 HB User

Well once again I took several readings on my own lastnight over the spand of 15 - 20 mins. They all average about 130/80 many times a few points lower sometimes 2 points higher. Overall though you can safely say 130/80, this is where it was a year ago when I went to check myself after he first told me. So thats 130/80 on my own, 140/90 when I see him. If a diuretic will help I am fine with continuing on that, but this new one with the ace I do not want to take if it isnt necessary yet.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
(female)

Suzanne1 HB User

I was on prinizide for several years without any problems until I developed a cough last year. Since it is known for this My doctor switched medications and it cleared right up. Take care.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom took lisinopril & hctz (zestoretic) and had profuse sweating and coughing. She also suffered fatigue. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
(male)

cujo25 HB User

Thanks all for the feedback, it always helps.

I switched back to just the Diuretic for now and working out more along with a better diet.

I bought a home tester. My readings on average range from 127/72 - 132/80. When I do several readings over a span of time they are in that range. A few times they have been 150/90 but I wait and recheck 5-10 mins later and they are back to average range (these types of readings certainly dont happen as much as the average range). I tend to get too obsessed with health stuff so I am going to try to back off from taking a reading every 5 mins haha. I do realize there are spikes etc.. depending on what you are doing.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
(male)

cujo25 HB User

Correction on my readings. I bought the $60 Walgreens digital unit. The cuff apparently was too small and it wasnt lining up right when velcroed it on. So now with the right cuff my average appears to be in the 124/90 range. Kind of dissappointing as that 90 does need to come down

I guess it also makes more sense that when I go to the Doc the top number should be the one that rises if im nervous correct? and there he gets a reading of 140/90. Hopefully I can get it down to the 80s and lower.

Closed Thread