It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Any suggestions to bring BP down quick?

My BP was 160/71 this morning, the worst it has been since I went to the doctor for my physical a month ago. I have an appointment with the doctor in 5½ hours and I know she will start talking BP meds if my pressure is up this high in her office again. My problem is I've had severe diarrhea for ten days. I haven't had it this bad since about ten years ago when I had e-coli 0157:H7 and clostridium difficile infections at the same time.

My SBP is usually close to 140 first thing in the morning, but I'm able to keep it down most of the day by eating large quantities of fruit and low-calorie vegetables. Needless to say, that isn't the diet normally recommended for diarrhea. And the high quantities of such things as rice and chicken noodle soup I've been eating for the past week have gradually increased my BP. I ate the last of the bananas I had on hand Saturday and went to the local grocery for more, but all they had was very green ones. And with severe diarrhea, I wasn't about to drive the 1½ hour round trip into the next town for more.

I'm guessing that it is primarily the potassium in the fruits and veggies that helps keep my BP down. So any suggestions on what other fruits or veggies that might bring my BP down without being too hard on the digestive system?

Old 08-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Any suggestions to bring BP down quick?

Potatoes (I think that includes the skin), beans, peas, lentils, pumpkin, winter squash, sweet potato are all high in potassium. These types of things might help with the diarrhea too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep those in mind for after I get back home to try to keep my BP down until I get over this.

After I gave this more thought, I reached the conclusion that maybe I'd better not eat before I go to the appointment at all, and just try to rely on deep breathing exercises to bring it down a little. It is a 45 minute drive to my doctor's office, with about 35 minutes of that between possible restroom stops. I'd better not risk having an "accident" on the way. Or I could leave five minutes early and stop at a grocery store near her office; maybe they will have some bananas ripe enough to eat and I could eat one while sitting in the car in the parking lot before my appointment. My BP usually drops quickly after eating, so by the time I sit in the waiting room a while, my BP should be at least ten points lower.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

No need to eat anything to get the B/P down, drink at least 2-3 bottles of cold water and wait about 30 minutes. Your b/p should come way down, at least it does for me.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #5

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
My BP was 160/71 this morning, the worst it has been since I went to the doctor for my physical a month ago. I have an appointment with the doctor in 5½ hours and I know she will start talking BP meds if my pressure is up this high in her office again. My problem is I've had severe diarrhea for ten days. I haven't had it this bad since about ten years ago when I had e-coli 0157:H7 and clostridium difficile infections at the same time.

My SBP is usually close to 140 first thing in the morning, but I'm able to keep it down most of the day by eating large quantities of fruit and low-calorie vegetables. Needless to say, that isn't the diet normally recommended for diarrhea. And the high quantities of such things as rice and chicken noodle soup I've been eating for the past week have gradually increased my BP. I ate the last of the bananas I had on hand Saturday and went to the local grocery for more, but all they had was very green ones. And with severe diarrhea, I wasn't about to drive the 1½ hour round trip into the next town for more.

I'm guessing that it is primarily the potassium in the fruits and veggies that helps keep my BP down. So any suggestions on what other fruits or veggies that might bring my BP down without being too hard on the digestive system?

How about a good ol' hot shower??

{{{{Uff-Da}}}} I hope you're doing okay. Please update us on your doctor's appt.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, my BP at the doctor's office was 149/something this morning. So I made a point of asking the doctor what I could eat or drink besides bananas which would provide some more potassium, since my BP gets messed up without my usual high potassium salads. She said that with severe diarrhea, I should probably limit it to bananas, applesauce and diluted fruit juices (not orange) for now and I could add some OTC potassium pills if I felt I needed more. Yuck, it takes about 4.5 pills to be equal to the potassium in just one banana. I'm going to be so sick of bananas by the time I get through with this, I may never want to look at another one. I did pick up a couple of bunches while in the bigger town today.

Say, I'm going to try that extra water to lower BP sometime and see if it works for me. That would probably work if one needed to flush out the sodium. I don't usually seem to be salt-sensitive, as I think I normally eat so many fruits and veggies that there is plenty of potassium to balance any amount of sodium I might choose to eat. But now that most fruits and veggies are out and chicken broth is in, I seem to be having trouble keeping things in balance.

I won't know results of the lab work for at least a couple of days, but the doctor is suspicious of a clostridium difficile infection again.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Uff-da,

Usually severe diarrhea causes extreme sodium and water losses...dehydration. I'm surprised your BP didn't fall like a stone.
Although "chicken noodle salt soup" might counter the effects.

I had a C.diff scare from taking a mix of antibiotics (clindamycin and bactrim) after surgery. It was negative but I've never suffered such diarrhea in my life...over 100 "visits" in 5 days!
I assume they did a fecal smear?

What caused the runs; did you do a course of antibiotics recently?

Last edited by Lenin; 08-16-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was on tetracycline for a couple of weeks, but stopped taking that three weeks before I came down with this crud. I would have thought if I was going to get it as a result of the tetracycline, I'd have picked it up while still on the antibiotic or shortly thereafter, not three weeks later. But when I mentioned that to my doctor yesterday, she just laughed and said, "Carol, you think too much!"

Who knows where I got it? I'm frankly suspicious that whatever it is I might have picked up from my cats. I've been treating two of them for diarrhea lately. While I don't know specifically what microorganisms I've been dealing with, cats do get c. diff and I've been treating one of the cats with Metronidazole, the same medication typically given to humans for c. diff. But I'm sure it is used for a lot of other related illnesses, too, in both humans and animals.

My SBP was up to 165 last night, about 40 points higher than normal. I'm sure it is this weird diet, without all the veggies I normally eat. Another thing it could be is lack of calcium, since dairy products and leafy greens are off limits temporarily. I read one article where the author claimed that people who are salt-sensitive are really just deficient in calcium. I finally took a calcium pill last night and my SBP is only 130 this morning. Maybe it is from the calcium, maybe from something else. But I really am beginning to believe that a lot of our problems might well be from an imbalance of nutrients. The trick is to find the right balance.

Had to laugh at your phrase "chicken noodle salt soup," Lenin. You've got that right! I suppose I should make my own homemade broth so I could decrease the salt, but I don't have any in the freezer right now and don't feel very inspired to make some when I can't eat the chicken in something else.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Even though dairy products are off limits, you might try eating some yogurt with active culture. If your gut flora has been killed by antibiotics, then the yogurt culture will repopulate your gut with the good microbes.

Some cat microorganisms that cause intestinal problems are transmittable to people. Did you mention to your doctor about your cats? On conversely, mention to your vet about your own problem coincident with your pets' problem?

I feel your pain with your cats. My oldest cat developed diarrhea after taking an oral antibiotic for an ear infection. It just would not clear up. I got him to eat a bit of plain yogurt and it helped a bit, but then he began to refuse to eat the yogurt. I think by that time his gut was somewhat inflamed so the problem persisted. We had to give him Metronidazole, which did clear up his problem. We had the Metronidazole pills cut up and put in capsules so he didn't have to taste it. Apparently it tastes very nasty. The vet told us, "if he accidently breaks the capsule and bites a pill, don't worry if he foams and paws at his mouth, its just the taste of the drug". It takes two of us to pill him and we end up with scratches and bite marks for our efforts. And he is a pretty docile cat.

Dealing with 2 sick kitties probably doesn't help your blood pressure either. Our 3 are our babies. I'm sure my blood pressure goes through the roof when one of them suddenly becomes sick.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 08-16-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
Even though dairy products are off limits, you might try eating some yogurt with active culture. If your gut flora has been killed by antibiotics, then the yogurt culture will repopulate your gut with the good microbes.
Actually, I've been taking Acidophilis pills since I was on the antibiotics. Unfortunately, because supplements aren't regulated, one has no idea if they really are any good or not. I was going to buy some yogurt for my cats the other day to help out their problem, but unfortunately the only plain yogurt in our local store was a whole quart, so I decided to wait and see if I could get some when I went to the larger town yesterday. But with the traffic jam there then, I decided not to go to the larger store.

Quote:
Some cat microorganisms that cause intestinal problems are transmittable to people. Did you mention to your doctor about your cats? On conversely, mention to your vet about your own problem coincident with your pets' problem?
Yes, I did mention it to my doctor. She didn't seem too familiar with cat microorganisms, though. I haven't seen the vet since I came down with my own problem.

Quote:
It takes two of us to pill him and we end up with scratches and bite marks for our efforts. And he is a pretty docile cat.
Well, there is only one of me. One of my cats is a 15-pound powerhouse who battles mightily. I have to wrap him up in a beach towel with just his head protruding to pill him, and even then it is quite a battle. A ten-day course of the Metronidazole didn't do the job, either. It seemed to, but then recurred with my biggest fighter. So now it is a course of Tylan (tylosin).

Old 08-19-2005, 05:08 AM   #11
(male)

hawkesworth HB User

if you need to bring your pressure down fastclonidine in small doses drops it. it is an old med but fast acting and does the job. in pill form it has about a 3-4 hour half life so rebound will happen. in an ER if you go in with crazy numbers they will hit you with the alpha clonidine brand name catapress

Closed Thread