It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

Greentea73 HB User
Enalapril - Part II

Hi,

I started taking Enalapril again after taking Avapro for 2 months. I thought the side effects were (for the most part) the same, so I might as well go with the cheaper option.

One side effect that I noticed in the last few days is a pounding heart beat. Does anyone know if this is normal or if it goes away. I don't remember it the first time I took the medicine.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Enalapril - Part II

Greentea,

You are talking about 2 different classes of drugs. Avapro is irbesartan, an ARB (angiotensin reseptor blocker) and enalapril is an ACE inhibitor whose brand name is Vasotec.

The biggest problem with enalapril is endless coughing. When I took it many years ago, I don't remember any pounding heart symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
(male)

Greentea73 HB User

Yeah.

My doctor switched me to Avapro after I complained about fatigue with the Enalapril. I get the same fatigue with Avapro.

When I was taking Enalapril before, I had a mild cough, but it wasn't too bad.

The fatigue is really bothering me.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think any medication that lowers blood pressure has at least a bit of fatigue attatched to it for many people. After all, the drugs are slowing down a MAJOR source of bodily nutrients. Many even weaken the heartbeat. Good in some cases, but less energy might be expected as a result.
I have the most energy when I am taking NO blood pressure meds. Diuretics affect my energy the least.

Can you lower your dosage? Maybe less enalapril will fatigue you less. Weakness and fatigue are rather common complaints with Vasotec (enalapril.)

Last edited by Lenin; 08-17-2005 at 06:13 AM.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
(male)

Greentea73 HB User

Hi,

I appreciate your responses.

I called my doctor yesterday and asked him about the fatigue. We're going to try just taking the diuretic and to stop the Enalapril. We'll see how I feel and what my BP readings are like.

As you said, the fatigue might be inevitable with medication. I'm hoping there is some middle ground. I compete in various races and while I'm not that fast, I am disppointed with my poor performance since taking the medication. I don't think my doctor is overly concerned with fatigue since competing in these races is a choice. I don't think he's a supporter of my athletic interests.

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

A word of caution. Since you are a runner, ergo SWEAT, make sure that with a diuretic you DON'T try to restrict your salt intake and make sure you hydrate well before a race, but not to the point of "water intoxication."
Hydrating BEFORE is better than DURING a race.

Hydrochlorothiazide is a better idea for you than chlorthalidone which I think is too strong.

Good luck with your next race.

Closed Thread