It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
(male)

mitley HB User
Question Question - Really High BP

This is a long story but I will try and keep it simple and to the point. I have had high blood pressure for the past 18 years. I am 34 and my blood pressure averages about 220/160. My doctor tried me on several medications and I've seen a kidney doctor and everything looks good there. While that for me, is normal I don't feel any ill effects. So - does anyone know why I have this abnormally high blood pressure and if there are any medications that reduce bp? I also had a stroke 2 years ago. Any input would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Old 08-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Question - Really High BP

They call high blood pressure the "silent killer" because most people don't have any symptoms until they have a stroke or heart attack or drop dead. You've already had a warning in the stroke. The next one may kill you.

At your blood pressure levels, if you don't have damage yet, you will soon. You need to work hard to get it down. There are lots and lots of different medications, singly and in combination that can be used. If your doctor isn't trying hard to get your blood pressure down then you need to find another doctor immediately.

As to why your bp is so high - I can't possibly guess. At your age an adrenal gland tumor might be suspected, and there are tests for that. You say you saw a kidney doctor and things are OK there. You should also see a cardiologist to see if you have a heart problem.

Other things to consider are family history of high blood pressure, bad diet, high salt consumption and obesity and lack of exercise.

You should also get a home blood pressure monitor and take your own resting readings to see how your bp looks at home. Some people have slightly elevated bp in the doctor's office - but even if that is the case with you, your bp is still way too high.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
(male)

mitley HB User

Thanks for the response. I will check out that Tumor you mentioned. I have an appointment next week to see an Internal Medicine Doctor.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
and if there are any medications that reduce bp?
Of course there are and you should have been on them for years.
What have your doctors been doing to lower your dangerously high malignant blood pressure? If nothing, then get a new primary physician.
If you don't get your BP down, you won't see 40, really.

Please make this the number one priority in your life...it IS!

Most people have PRIMARY hyspertension (which means the doctors haven't a clue what caused it.)
If they DO know the cause, it's called SECONDARY and here's a complete description from the MAYO CLINIC of all the known secondary causes:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=HQ01345

Closed Thread