It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

stars13 HB User
I've been doing so well and then:

It started climbing again. I haven't posted in a while, i didn't want to jinx myself. A few months ago i stopped taking beta blockers after being miserable on them for a few years. I was put on cardizem LA 250mg along with my benicar hct 40/12.5.

I felt wonderful, no side effects , other than a bit of diarreah which i could handle, no anxiety, tons of energy. i've been on top of the world. and my numbers were great, 117-120/ 75-77 in am and around 89/69 in pm.

OK, last Saturday afternoon, my 2 granson's both played a football game , one at 1;00 and the other at 3:00. it was 94 degrees and not a bit of shade. well by 4:30 i left, i couldn't stand it any more. i felt light headed and sick, but when i got home i took bp and it seemed fine. i kind of felt sick the rest of the day but was alright on sunday.

Also had been a bit bad over the weekend, eating too much salt, chips-lunch meat- a few slim jims. like i said bad.

then on tuesday, my bp slowly started to climb, my hands were swollen and i was queasy. i'm the sort that feel every
tiny raise in pressure. i get a funny head ache and my eyes feel funny and as it goes higher i have trouble thinking clearly.

I was home alone, don't drive and i could feel it climbing all day, kept taking it and it was 189/101. When dh came home, i was trying to decide whether i wanted to go to er, i felt so terrible. Decided to take a xanax first, bp dropped in an hour to 109/80.

next day it started to climb a bit mid day, i took 1/2 xanax and it came dwon again but i haven't felt well. i feel so tired, and a bit nausaus. Today it has been running a bit high ,139/93. I haven't taken a xanax yet. Do you think I shoud or should i call dr. about this.

I truly appreciat your help. i was just wondering if i should try to hang in there for awhile so he doesn't chnage meds or what. i'm sooo disgusted and depressed. i thought i had this all in order, now here i am again.\

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: I've been doing so well and then:

What have you eaten so far this morning? If you haven't had a good source of potassium (like fruit) and of calcium (like milk) within the past couple of hours, have some. Then check your BP within an hour or two and see if it isn't lower.

You sound a bit uptight. Maybe a few deep breathing exercises will help, too.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:51 AM   #3
(female)

stars13 HB User

So far, i've only had a cup of decaf, no food. i just took it again and after 3 times i come up with 121/85.

thanks Uff-da, i will eat a bowl of cereal with a banana, and check in an hour.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
(female)

stars13 HB User

I ate and waited a while and you were so right uff-da, it's now 103/70 . i still don't feel 100%, headache but i am sooooo relieved. i guess i do tend to freak out over my bp. i really try not to.

But what do you think caused it to spike like that? This has happened to me in the past 2 years and i usually run to dr. and he changes meds and i have more trouble with side effects. Does this happen to everyone every now and then?

Now that i'm thinking about it i think i read something mgraylorn posted about spikes while on beta blockers. i'm going to have to try to find it.

thanks again, i really appreciate your help.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I developed blood pressure spikes while taking Toprol, a beta blocker. These mostly ocurred at night, then they got more frequent and I started having some in the daytime. Even after I quit the drug, I still had some residual spiking for awhile.

If you didn't spike with your beta blocker and have been off it for a few months with no residual side effect, than I don't think you can blame your spike on the beta blocker.

I think you just got too much sun, got too warm, maybe a bit dehydrated, and then ate bad (salty) food. All this caught up with you a couple days later. Your blood pressure climbing all day sounds like the result of you worrying about it. It can be a positive feed back: your pressure is up a bit, you get anxious, it goes up a bit more, you get more anxious...... That you take an anti anxiety drug and your pressure goes back down again makes me think that it is worry that pushes your numbers up.

Try to relax, stay cool, and eat a little bit of good food. I think your pressure will level out at your normal numbers.

I wouldn't worry about an occasional blood pressure spike under conditions where your body is being stressed - overly tired, too hot, dehydrated, etc. Just try to avoid those situations that aren't really healthy anyway. If you start spiking a lot, without stressing your body in some way to cause it, then it might be time to see a doctor.

Unless your pressure remains consistently elevated and you feel consistently bad, I don't think you need to run to the doctor. You said in your last post that you are starting to feel better and your pressure reading was good, so I think you are on the road to recovery.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your bad diet loaded with salt probably got you started on increasing the BP, then your anxiety about it just made it go higher. You might want to pay attention to how your BP relates to your diet for a while. Both calcium and potassium are important to BP, but because of differences in absorption, some people need more than others.

If you should eat a little too much salt one day, be sure to get extra calcium that day. I read an article a while back by a doctor who thought there was no such thing as salt-sensitive hypertensives, only people who didn't get enough calcium. That wasn't particularly important to me, as I usually do get a lot of calcium in dairy and dark green veggies. But the past couple of weeks I've had serious diarrhea, and both dairy and veggies are off limits temporarily until I get this under control. (I still haven't heard back from the doc about the lab cultures.) Anyway, my BP started climbing. My systolic usually averages 125 or so, but by Monday it was running 160-165. I finally took a calcium pill, and by the next morning my systolic was down to 130. I've been taking two a day this week, and my SBP has been running in the 120s and 130s since I started. I never have problems with my DBP.

If you should need to get your calcium in pill form instead of food some time, make sure you get some magnesium and vitamin D with it, though, as calcium requires these nutrients for your body to absorb it. I take Citracal Plus, which contains those and some other minerals, too, but I'm sure there are others. I usually try to get the nutrients I need all in food, but it is nice to have something like that supplement on hand for those days I can't do so.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
(female)

stars13 HB User

thank you mgl, yes, my bp is down now. i migt take 1/2 xanax one more day to help get this out of my mind. i hate taking them regularly.

i too was on toprol and dynacirc, and i think now in retrospect that i also spiked during the night. i just didn't know what it was, it was before i had found this board. i didn't have a cuff at the time either. i would wake up with my mind racing, my body felt racie too, wouldn't be able to sleep all night. Even after getting cuff i still never thought to take bp when this happened. i know, i really can be sooooo stupid. just thought i couldn't sleep because of anxiety but even xanax wouldn't help for at least an hour or longer. i did have spikes in daytime, would see dr. and he would up dosage of beta blocker, which of course made me worse. such a vicious cycle.

oh well, i hope your're right, and it was weather and such. but i have another game saturday, it's only suppose to be 86 this week, maybe won't be too bad. i'll bring an umbrella. kid got 2 tds last week, don't want to miss him do it again.lol he's only 8.

You,ll never how much help you've been to me. thanks one more time.

stars

Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
(female)

stars13 HB User

Thank you uff-da, i never really knew all that about calcium. i have trouble taking calcium. i've always been lactose intolerant and i haven't been able to take calcium pills either, i develop terrible diarreah[sp]. Alful, ugly , painful runs. so i just eat alot of green leafy veges hoping it's enough. i had a test for bone density last year and so far, thank God, my bones are in good shape, but i didn't realize how important it was for hbp. i seem to have more trouble with sbp. don't know why.

Yes, i am going to watch my salt a little better, i just love it though.

thank you so much, bp is down, still have headache but i'm sure it wil go away in time. maybe get some excedrin.

stars

Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
(female)

stars13 HB User

Thank you uff-da, i never really knew all that about calcium. i have trouble taking calcium. i've always been lactose intolerant and i haven't been able to take calcium pills either, i develop terrible diarreah[sp]. Alful, ugly , painful runs. so i just eat alot of green leafy veges hoping it's enough. i had a test for bone density last year and so far, thank God, my bones are in good shape, but i didn't realize how important it was for hbp. i seem to have more trouble with dbp. don't know why.

Yes, i am going to watch my salt a little better, i just love it though.

thank you so much, bp is down, still have headache but i'm sure it wil go away in time. maybe get some excedrin.

stars

Last edited by stars13; 08-18-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, I've been lactose intolerant for years, too. I can only tolerate about two tablespoons milk at a time without getting cramping and the runs. Yet I buy skim milk by the gallon, and this is a one-person household. I just take a generic Lact-Aid pill with any dairy products. I always carry some in my purse, too, so I'm not so limited in my diet when I eat out.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #11
(female)

stars13 HB User

Does it really help, the generic lact aid pill. i'll have to try them. But can you take calcium pills without getting sick. You said you were having a problem lately with diareaha, do you think the calicum pills could be part of that. they sure make me sick, cramps and horrible runs.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

With the generic Lact-Aid, I can eat dairy products just as though I'm not lactose intolerant at all. With most things I can just take one of the most inexpensive "low-power" ones to do it. With some cheeses or if I'm having both milk and cheese in the same meal, I'll take two "low power" or one of the "high-power" lactase pills. Be aware that you have to take the Lact-Aid pill so it is present in the stomach at the same time as the lactose in the food. It is not like you can take one pill in the morning and it is good for the whole day.

No, my current diarrhea problem has nothing to do with calcium. This is serious stuff, like one hardly dares be more than 30 seconds from the toilet. The only time I've had diarrhea this bad is about ten years ago when I had both e-coli and clostridium difficile infections at the same time. My doctor was suspicious of another c. difficile infection, but until the lab results come back, I just have to stay close to the bathroom! It will be two weeks tomorrow since this started. Such fun!

I can usually take calcium pills without problems. One has to look at the specific supplements one is taking, as some contain lactose! I know that my acidophilis pill does, so I take a generic Lact-Aid with it, too. Actually, calcium tends to make me constipated, if I'm not careful to have a high fiber diet. And judging from the side effects I see listed, it appears that constipation is a common side effect. Maybe you want to do some checking on the web about calcium supplements and see if you can determine why it causes diarrhea for you. Perhaps it is only a specific type of calcium compound, for example.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 08-18-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

stars,

I think it was a case of heat exhaustion/ near heatstroke during the football-game that laid you low and then your body craved salt as a protective device. When you had the salt-fest your BP zoomed.
When your body goes through heat exhaustion it will do whatever it can to save your life and if that means making you crave salt to the point of blowing your BP through the roof, so be it. The priority is to keep you from losing sodium because a sodium imbalance is a serious and immediate threat to life.

A hot day in the open sun is far more dangerous to anyone taking blood pressure meds. We should all be mindful.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-19-2005 at 06:37 AM.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

When you go out for the game, take your umbrella and take some cold water with you. You can fill a plastic bottle part way up with water, freeze it, and then the morning you go out, fill it the rest of the way with water. That way you should have cold water longer, and with the ice, when you drink the liquid, you can fill it back up with water and it will stay cold. Good luck and I hope your kids win!

Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #15
(female)

stars13 HB User

Uff-da, i'm sorry, you sound like you're going through a tough time. i hope you get your culture results soon and rectify the problem. i know how miserable that can be. i haven't tried taking calcium yet but i did take a magnesium/zinc supplement today and yesterday. as soon as i get some lactaid pills i will try more calcium.

I thank you all for your replies.Lenin, i agree that the heat could have been a big part of it. i never felt so bad in the heat as i did that day. i'm still not feeling 100% but i'm trying to hang on till Monday, hoping to feel better by then. if not, i'll call dr. I'm still nausaus, tired, the back of my neckaches and my shoulders feel sooo tired. i just took bp and it is 123/82, not bad but not as good as it has been last 2 months.

i just took a xanax, see if that helps again.

I am going to take your advise about the cold water/cooler mgl. my daughter also suggested to bring a damp towl and keep it around my neck. Believe me i'm going to do all i can to stay cool.

I hope the kids win too, cause i'm bringing them home with me afterwards for a n allnighter. hope they're in good moods. lol

wow, i'm only 57 and feeling 87 this week. i need my energy back to keep up with these kids.

i soooo appreciate all your help and having someone to talk to who really understands. thank guys.

Closed Thread