It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

Mellie310 HB User
Now I'm mad

Okay, here's the story. You all know how LOW my BP was. Well......now I"m down to 40 mgs. of Lisinopril, and I'm probably going to have to stay there and I'm mad about it. I've never had high BP in my LIFE. But, during the course of the past 3 weeks, all hell has broken loose around here. My kids have decided that I am not their Mother anymore, nothing that I have done, but because of their RICH, EVIL paternal grandmother, I was CRUCIFIED by both son and daughter on the phone, won't bore you with the details, but it was horrible, my son actually told me he wished I were dead. So....that upset me and as a result, I started smoking like a chimney. For the past 10 days I've been smoking between 1 1/2 pks. to 2 pks. per day. Yesterday I did manage to cut it down to 16 for the whole day. I have been eating way too much salt, potato chips and dip, and then, this weekend, I caught my darling husband in a LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been in a RAGE all weekend long. So, today, my BP is running all over the board. 124/65, 117/60, etc. The last reading I got was 100/53. Now.... I know those numbers are nothing at all to worry about, BUT, can all the above have caused this spike? Because I have to be very, very careful about this BP thing due to the fact that I have anxiety/panic disorder. Plus I smoke. I keep trying to wean off those cigarettes, but people just keep messing with me and upsetting me and I go right back to chain smoking.
Sorry to go off like this, but I am just SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted completely OFF that medicine, and think I could if I didn't have to live with CONSTANT STRESS.
Please, all you senior veterans, could all that have caused this spike in my BP? And please, don't fuss at me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Now I'm mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie310
So, today, my BP is running all over the board. 124/65, 117/60, etc. The last reading I got was 100/53.
What spike?

Old 08-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

No doubt..I feel for you having to deal with a child of yours to have said such a horrible thing to you not too mention your hubby lying..one of those things are enough to raise your BP let alone all of them..Keep calm and take your meds through this tough time...Take Care, Lisa

Old 08-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Mellie, I'm confused. What spike are you talking about? The highest numbers you mention are 124/65 and these are great numbers! These are healthy numbers!

Yes, these are higher numbers than the almost corpse like numbers you ususally have, but these are good numbers! If you get so wound up and ticked off and engage in bad habits like smoking and eating lots of salt and your pressure only goes up to 124/65, you are still way over medicated. If you are angry and stressed and so on, yes your blood pressure goes up. That's normal. Normal people have stress readings up in the 150s/90s and more for short periods of time. That's why we check our resting relaxed blood pressure and use it as our baseline, not our freaked out numbers.

I still think you don't need medication. You should cut down to 20 mg of Lisinopril and check your relaxed, resting bp.

Please, give up the cancer sticks. They do more harm to you than just your blood pressure. You also need to find some way to relax. All this stress will give you ulcers and worse. I think stress is your worst enemy right now. Have you considered professional help to help you learn to deal with stress? When you get stressed, you tend to do things that are bad for you, even though you know they are bad for you. You really need to break that cycle.

If your kids are giving you grief and they are grown and on their own, maybe you should just put them out of your life for a time. Maybe with some distance and time, they will come to realize they have behaved badly. At this point you need to look after your own health and well being first.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Uff_Da..............................THAN KS FOR MAKING ME LAUGH WITH YOUR COMMENT........."WHAT SPIKE". TRULY, THANKS, I NEEDED THAT. AND I'M NOT MAD OR TRYING TO BE FACETIOUS HERE, BUT I FOUND THAT ONE COMMENT HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MELLIE

Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad that you weren't offended. After I pressed "Post quick reply," I thought "Maybe I shouldn't have done that!" One never knows how things will be interpreted. But you've got to admit that for most of us who think of 155, 165, 185 or even higher as a spike, readings well into the normal range hardly seem like a spike.

Yes, stress will increase one's BP. Just ask me. I had to take BP medication for five years when I was under chronic stress and sleep deprivation. But I'm off the meds now with usual readings at rest of 126/76 or so. On those rare occasions I get really stressed now, my SBP will be in the 160s or even 180s. But since that only happens rarely, it is nothing to worry about. (LOL! Except that the highest readings have been at the doctor's office and I have to tell my doc I'm not going to take any BP meds, since that isn't my usual reading! Some times one has to be a little assertive, as docs don't seem to understand that one's BP can actually get better.)

Frankly, I suspect you don't really need BP meds, either. It is one's usual pressure that counts most. Just as long as high spikes don't happen frequently, one is usually okay. Do what you need to do, whether counseling or whatever, to handle stress better and I think that will make life easier for you. One can't really change other people. You can only change yourself.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mellie,

For the umpteenth time I will say stop taking the lisinopril...but you won't listen to me.

Never use anyone else actions as justification for a bad habit...it doesn't wash. And as a former smoker for 20 years I can DEFINITELY say a pack of cigarettes doesn't make anyone feel any better about life's problems.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

When external things happen that really tick someone off, they usually want to DO something! Maybe what Mellie and others trying to give up the weed need is a good punching bag to take it out on. Seems like I remember Lenin giving me advice along the lines of fight or flight in another thread. In fact, this is what he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I find that a bout of exercise to exhaustion will use up the adrenal rush. That's what adrenaline was meant to do: cause fight or flight.
So you get to choose: kick-boxing (fight) or jogging(flight!)

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 08-23-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Uff_Da and Lenin,

Thanks for that very good advice. I didn't think about that. I like the idea of using a punching bag and pretending that it's the person who crapped on me.....i.e., my kids at this point. Hateful, hateful children, can't believe I raised them and they turned out like they have.

I do have problems handling stress, probably because I've dealt with it most of my adult life. It's a wonder I've never had high BP before this one spike a year ago.

I also am having terrible problems dealing with my Dad's death. He was so healthy, not one thing wrong with him, and he died suddenly and unexpectedly, and somehow, because of that, I have developed this freaky phobia that just because it happened to him, it's going to happen to me and other loved ones, thus the fear of stopping the last of the Lisinopril cold turkey, even though I believe that you all are right. I just feel like if I do that, then my BP will SOAR. And that thought terrifies me. So, last night, Brent and I talked about it, and I have a therapist, a really good one, and I'm going to start seeing him again, because I have a LOT of abuse issues to deal with, most of them from way, way back.

BP has dropped again, last reading was 85/37. Don't want that.

I am so sorry to burden you guys like this, I know you must think I'm a nut case, I"m really not, I just have so much to deal with right now. People can be so hurtful, and I am overly sensitive and take things way too hard instead of just blowing them off. I am in a Catch-22 situation here, I think.

Lenin, you intimidate me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you make me laugh, too. I love reading your posts, I love that humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just bear with me, I'll get through this, and thanks to all of you who have been very, very patient with me, you'll never know how much I appreciate it. I've just never dealt with high BP before, so I know nothing about any of it. I will look into the punching bag thing. I've cut the cigarettes down to half a pack a day though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know, Mellie, I used to be on Lisinopril, too. And I looked it up. A single pill starts taking effect in one hour. The peak effect is in six hours. So you could quit the pills, then watch your pressure for the first day or two. If the pressure goes up over 140/90, you could take another pill and it would take effect before your pressure got so high as to be dangerous. So you've got your "escape hatch" right there in the form of more pills if you really needed it. Even if it went up to 160/95 before it started coming back down, you aren't going to have a stroke from it.

Because you've been taking the pills for a while, there will be some residual effect, which should help to ease the changes, so unless you totally freak yourself out over it, I see no reason why this shouldn't let you see how your pressure will be without medication. Almost everyone who has responded to you doubts that you really need that medication.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Uff-Da,

What is residual effect mean?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie310
Uff-Da,

What is residual effect mean?
It continues on for a while. Like if you are supposed to take a pill every day, there would still be part of the chemicals from the first day's pill in your body when you take the second day's pill and so on. So even after you quit, the amount in your body will taper off over a few days rather than abruptly ending.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:55 AM   #13
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Thanks Uff_Da for explaining that to me. And Lenin, I'll take your advice and start cutting into the last 40 mgs. of Lisinopril. I'm telling you though, it's a scary thought. BP got really low again tonight, but I managed to bring it up with lots of water and Gatorade. I'm tired right now, and a little weak, but at least it's up some.

God I wish my Dad hadn't died like he did, I didn't use to be this way, this death phobia. Hopefully my therapist can help me with that.

So......I'll give it a try, cut way down on the cigarettes, take my Xanax and keep you guys posted. This is a GREAT board, it's been a HUGE help to me.

Wish me luck, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie

Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Good Luck!!! We know you can do it! Glad you have a great therapist to see, I really think you need to talk to one to deal with your issues. Right now you are so afraid of high blood pressure that you are likely to kill yourself with low blood pressure. We don't want that.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
(female)

Mellie310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
Good Luck!!! We know you can do it! Glad you have a great therapist to see, I really think you need to talk to one to deal with your issues. Right now you are so afraid of high blood pressure that you are likely to kill yourself with low blood pressure. We don't want that.
Thanks for your concern. I appreciate all of you that have helped me so much. And you're right, I am terrified of high BP, and I know that I'm putting my life in danger, that's why I am going to see my therapist again. I don't think I've even grieved Dad's death yet, I'm still just absolutely shell shocked over it. It created HUGED emotional and mental problems with me. Maybe some Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, which my physician has mentioned to me.
I started cutting into the last of the Lisinopril last night and this morning. I wish I had the gutts to just stop it all, but I don't, and I know why I don't. But none of that really matters, I just have to get tough and do this, because, like today, I feel like I'm dying. It's like "falling off a cliff in slow motion", to quote Jenny in the movie "Love Story". Funny how his death affected me so horribly.
Again, thank you for your concern. You guys take care and I'll post again when I start seeing some results.

Melanie

Closed Thread