It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
(male)

hawkesworth HB User
Resperate

does anyone have experience with this. it seems to easy. i am a very nervous person and feel i would be wasting 300+. those horrible BP meds i can not handle. beta blockers make me so depressed i lie in bed and can not work. CCB meds also depression and anxiety and of course the ACE. i can handle the cough but actually raise my BP some. currently 170/110. my creatitine is at 2.4 so i know i must find something or dialysis in a year or less. im scared. would appreciate help, thank you

Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Resperate

Don't expect the Resperate to lower your BP as much as you need it lowered. Didn't the research, as indicated on the manufacturer's site, say the the average decrease was 14 systolic and 8 diastolic or something like that? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to go back and look.) But if you can't tolerate the BP meds, I guess any decreases you can get will help some.

I'm too cheap to buy the Resperate, so I'm just trying deep breathing exercises on my own. When my SBP is really up, I can often bring it down 20-30 points with just five minutes of deep breathing. Then it takes a while to build back up again. When my SBP is is the 120-130 range, I can usually bring it down about 10-20 points. I think so far that my average SBP (when I haven't recently been doing the exercises) has decreased around 8-10 points since I started doing this. (I ignore my diastolic, as my readings are usually in the 60s and 70s.) Maybe you want to join me in this little experiment:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=305744

My other suggestions would be to do everything you can to lower your BP through other non-medication means:
1. lose weight, if warranted
2. get plenty of aerobic exercise
3. eat a good diet with plenty of potassium from fruits and veggies (8-10 servings daily)
4. make sure your diet includes adequate calcium. (I recently discovered that my SBP went down about 30 points if I consumed a good source of calcium 2-3 times daily as opposed to having no calcium in the daily diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
(male)

hawkesworth HB User

i have pre-existing major depression since serving in the marines during the vietnam era. the only antidepressant meds that help are the MAO class. i am not a fool and watch my diet restrictions. my doc says depression from BP meds is major problem with BP meds and why patient complince is so poor. i have already developed CHF from hypertension and very upset. that damn war when i was 18 destroyed my life and yes i am very bitter. i am just pushed away and left for dead

Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Have you tried clonidine (pill form) or catapress (patch form)? It is an old drug in a different class from the beta blockers, CCBs, ACEIs and so on. The major side effects are sleepiness and dry mouth. I am not sure if you can take them with MAOs, but you can ask your doctor or pharmacist. Clonidine brings blood pressure down fast, but it generally needs to be taken 2 or more times a day. You might ask about it if nothing else is working for you without unacceptable side effects.

Closed Thread