It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 03:01 AM   #1
(female)

red-rider HB User
Diovan vs. Benicar

Has anyone used both these meds? If so,which gave you better BP control? Not the ones with diuretic in them~just the plain old Diovan or Benicar?
thanx RR!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Diovan vs. Benicar

Hello,

I have tried Cozaar 50 mg and Atacand 8mg. Both give me a great control over BP, from 150/100 to 120/80 in a few days but right now I stopped my Med because I'm dealing with some other health issues. I haven't tried Diavon and Benicar but I heard that benicar is stronger, not sure but I'm sure that everyone is different. Some people take 100 mg of Cozaar and say that it useless while I took only 50 mg and was very effective with me.
Thanks,
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I used them both, first Diovan then Benicar. Personaly I got much better control with Benicar.
Cass

Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
(female)

red-rider HB User

Thank you Michael and Cassie for your replies. I am having decent results with Diovan ONLY because I am supplementing it with Ativan(low dose sedative). I have been wanting to try Benicar or Avapro to see if they would offer better/longer control and then maybe I would not need the Ativan. I get BP spikes which scare the crud outta me~and that is where the Ativan has done it's job(and done it well). A practitioner I saw last year sent me home with a month's sample of Cardizem LA~but the pills were expired! So I did not try them. It would be nice if I could take another BP med that offered the control I need~but the doc looks at my journal of readings and tells me to continue with the Diovan. The internist I saw last month praised my readings and gave refills for Diovan~but disapproved of using Ativan~and all the while she was holding my diary of readings knowing full well that the Ativan was "helping" the Diovan to do it's job. Go figure!!!!!!!
RR

Old 10-14-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

I have seen a new doctor who told me that he liked to put patients with High BP on 2 or even 3 Meds but on low dosage. He said that if someone is put on half Ziac 5 mg tablet plus half a tablet of Norvasc 5 mg, for example, he/she will get the best control over blood pressure.

I have a problem with my Thyroid and he took me off from Atacand 8mg and put me on half tablet of Ziac until I solve my Thyroid problem. Now when I feel that I MAY STOP all the BP Meds I relaxed. I eat whatever I want and I can say that I consume more than 4 grams of Soduim daily and even though my BP is 130/90 or even less than that.

My point is that when I was scared of High BP I was really STRESSED my BP didn't came down so easily but when I relaxed it's going down with no problems.

Why you don't try to relax for some time and see the results before changing your med? ok?
Good Luck
Michael

Closed Thread